Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plug in J1772 adapter first -- or connect adapter to charger first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a new Model 3 and my wife has a different non-Tesla EV which we purchased first. So we have a J1772 Level 2 home charger. I've been attaching the Tesla adapter to the charger and then putting that assembly into the Tesla charging port. (I've done that twice now with no issues.) I see now that in the owner's manual it says to put the adapter into the charging port first and then inserting the J1772 charger. I'll do it that way from now on, but does the order really matter?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I have a new Model 3 and my wife has a different non-Tesla EV which we purchased first. So we have a J1772 Level 2 home charger. I've been attaching the Tesla adapter to the charger and then putting that assembly into the Tesla charging port. (I've done that twice now with no issues.) I see now that in the owner's manual it says to put the adapter into the charging port first and then inserting the J1772 charger. I'll do it that way from now on, but does the order really matter?

Thanks.

I dont think it matters...

The wall connector at my job is a chargepoint J1772 one. We dont have free charging, but I charge at work sometimes, to balance out my electricity usage. Anyway...

I have used that chargepoint wall connector probably 100 times over a 5 year period, maybe even a bit more than that, and not once have I ever inserted the adapter in the car first. Every single time I put the adapter on the wall connector handle, then plug that in.

Ha. Tesla's instruction manual for their J1772 adapter gives the opposite instructions: https://www.tesla.com/support/charging/product-guides#J1772-Adapter links to the adapter's manual PDF.

As this manual says, pulling the plug and adapter out together avoids the possibility of the car locking the adapter in place. (If it does lock in, use the touch screen or the mobile app to unlock the charge port.)

Usual sequence:
1. If the car might be asleep/locked, either open & close a door or press and release the J1772 disconnect switch to wake the car.
2. Press and hold the J1772 disconnect switch, wait for the car to stop charging and unlock the charge port, then pull the plug & adapter together. Or press and release the button, wait for the charge port to unlock, then pull them out together.

Tip: Buy another J1772 adapter to keep in the garage to save steps. I also take it on road trips as a spare, after one public charger partially melted my first adapter.

Hi all,

Thanks.
I’ve always done it the way you used to do it and it works fine.

No one above could justify an engineering reason outside of the door closing on adapter, so here's a detailed reason and thought process on why you should connect the adapter to the plug first, then plug it into the car.

This way the car goes through the same plug detected, power detected, EVSE signal detected, charging started process every time: a valid process to start a charge.

Otherwise, the car will a connector without voltage, without a charge level signal, etc. This faulted state could create a headache if you take too long to connect, fumble with the J1772 plug, etc.

For removal, I squeeze the J1772 trigger, which makes the car release the adapter. Then I release the trigger and pull the adapter out with it using the EVSE handle for better grip. Then remove the adapter, stow it in your pocket or the car, and put the candle back. I mean the handle back.

It's good to have a process of steps for consistent behavior which allows you and the car to go about your day without forgetting something... like that adapter you left on the trunk or on top of the EVSE.

I keep the J1772->Tesla adapter permanently attached to the J1772 plug, even when not in use (I keep a spare in the car at all times - they're really cheap). I press the J1772 release and when the charge port light turns white I grab the adapter barrel and pull it out along with the J1772 plug. I have a dedicated J1772 L1 EVSE (charge at 110V/12A) at our condo, and another L2 (charge at 240V/15A) in our winter home garage, both with dedicated J1772->Tesla adapters.

Reactions: CyberShy
This way the car goes through the same plug detected, power detected, EVSE signal detected, charging started process every time: a valid process to start a charge.

Otherwise, the car will a connector without voltage, without a charge level signal, etc. This faulted state could create a headache if you take too long to connect, fumble with the J1772 plug, etc.
I've never seen this type of "faulted state" occur. The J1772 spec has no "physical insertion without power" state. A J1772 car only knows the charge handle is connected when it sees the pilot signal from the charge statiom.

I've never seen any evidence of a physical "plug inserted" detection in a Tesla charge port. It's safe to assume the car doesn't know "plug detected without power detected", otherwise the door wouldn't close on the adapter when you wait to long to plug in the J1772 handle after inserting the adapter without the charge handle attached.

For removal, I squeeze the J1772 trigger, which makes the car release the adapter. Then I release the trigger and pull the adapter out with it using the EVSE handle for better grip.
I've been doing this one-hand removal trick with my home charger for years (S and Y). There is plenty of time to remove the J1772 handle with the adapter attached before the port turns blue/green and re-locks. The J1772 adapter stays attached to the charge handle (semi-)permanently. I have a second one that lives in the car for office charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
I've never seen any evidence of a physical "plug inserted" detection in a Tesla charge port. It's safe to assume the car doesn't know "plug detected without power detected", otherwise the door wouldn't close on the adapter when you wait to long to plug in the J1772 handle after inserting the adapter without the charge handle attached.

🤣 I always laugh (and cry) a little inside when it chomps down on my adapter.

• Funny
Reactions: bmil03 and tga
If it does lock in, use the touch screen or the mobile app to unlock the charge port.)

After charging if I disconnect just the charger (leaving the adapter) the car closes the charge port flap on it… annoying

For removal, I squeeze the J1772 trigger, which makes the car release the adapter. Then I release the trigger and pull the adapter out with it using the EVSE handle for better grip.

If for some reason the adapter gets chomped on (can accidentally leave adapter in port even with method above if in a hurry), and locked to the car, an easy way to release it is to plug the charge handle back in, and repeat the process properly. Easier than digging for a phone or releasing from the car screen. Works for me anyway when I screw it up. It’s a free charging station so might not work for pay per use, no idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Transformer
The first time I plugged in I instinctually pressed the button on the J1772 charger handle and it came out of the adapter and the charge port door tried to close, haha. Now I just pull the whole thing out, then remove the adapter from the charger. I would just leave the adapter plugged into the charger, but we also own a Volt (wife's) and she wouldn't appreciate having to constantly remove the adapter after I charge my car so she can plug in.

I've never seen this type of "faulted state" occur. The J1772 spec has no "physical insertion without power" state. A J1772 car only knows the charge handle is connected when it sees the pilot signal from the charge statiom.

I've been doing this one-hand removal trick with my home charger for years (S and Y). There is plenty of time to remove the J1772 handle with the adapter attached before the port turns blue/green and re-locks. The J1772 adapter stays attached to the charge handle (semi-)permanently. I have a second one that lives in the car for office charging.
I 100% know, that the car knows, that a plug is plugged in but is dead because it has happened to me. One of the chargers died at work, I normally just plug in and walk away. My app told me that a plug is plugged in but not providing power warning message to me.

I 100% know, that the car knows, that a plug is plugged in but is dead because it has happened to me. One of the chargers died at work, I normally just plug in and walk away. My app told me that a plug is plugged in but not providing power warning message to me.
Is it possible it doesn’t provide power but still provides the pilot? (EDIT: proximity pilot)

Last edited:
Yes, it knows that a plug is connected even if the EVSE is without power. However, it can't detect the adapter if the plug is not in it as the proximity signal that is used must be connected through the handle. The handle connects the proximity pin to ground through a resistor, and pressing the button parallels in another resistor so the car can detect both presence of the plug and the button being pressed, all without power.

When I'm plugging in with the adapter, I put them together, but don't bother to try and lock the adapter into the J1772 with just my hand. I insert the plug and adapter together and then I can apply enough force to engage the J1772 lock.

Addendum:

There are two "pilot" signals, the "proximity pilot" described above and the "control pilot". They usually just get called the "proximity" and "pilot" signals. The control pilot is used by the EVSE to signal the max amperage of the EVSE, and by the car to turn the power on and off.

Last edited:
More like there's a sensor or switch that detects the connector is inserted.
Not sure what you’re saying. We know there’s a signal connected to the J-1772 handle push lever since when you push that it unlocks the charge port. This is the proximity detection pin which is connected to a switch in the release lever. But that does not require high voltage to be provided or even capability of high voltage to be provided.

I wonder whether all of this is working right now on the Tesla? I remember a few years ago when I unplugged quickly I’d get some nice long arcs since the power pins were still energized, lol. The standard is supposed to provide the means to prevent this arcing when properly implemented.

I’m always just careful to press the disconnect button and wait a second now. No need to have arcing.

Reactions: Transformer