Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PLUGLESS POWER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.....anyone put a deposit down yet for this?
Any beta testers using the system by chance?
Interested in it myself, looking forward to hearing the feedback once available

I have been considering getting Plugless Power. All of the reviews for their other models, such as for the Chevrolet Volt, have been impressive. You may want to reach out to [email protected] (from Contact - Plugless Power). They might be able to get you real Plugless Power owner contacts.

The website at Wireless 7.2kW Charger for Tesla Model S | Plugless says the introductory price is $2440. And it is limited to 30A. I would not let any company do such mods to my S. It's really quite simple to plug the car in. This seems like an expensive "solution" to a non-problem.

Also, there will be efficiency losses. It's a lose/lose scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwdnjck
Oh, your car unlocks itslef?
It also opens the door for you?
And closes them behind you also?
All this after you manualy unlplUg that big and filthy cable?
Muhahahaha...

22" wheels are even more expensive and even less efficent. And they add nothing to everyday usability besides a bit of egotrip. Plugless charging is one feature thet would get me off my m3 reservation and buy a gm bolt if it had it.

Not to mention the inefficecy of X itself, it has about 15% higher losses than S which by it self has higher losses than every sngle other pure EV out there.

Plugless charging is of even bigger value than fast charging network, it adds value everysingletime you get home, as fast charging is only useful that handful of times you must go somewhere far.

Efficency loss is not a loss, it is a price you pay for convnience of not pluggng in.

Autopresentng doors and manual pluging is absurd.

My Model S does not automatically open and close the doors, nor do I have 22", or even 21" wheels. Nor is my Tesla charging cable "big and filthy". My S did come standard with the feature that the doors unlock as I approach the car. That is nice, but hardly essential.

@WarpedOne, you really need to check the facts before you post.

For $2,440 I am not interested in "plugless" charging. Maybe you are. That's fine.

The Tesla Supercharger network enables convenient long distance EV travel, which is an extraordinary advantage that no other car company offers. By comparison, plugless charging is a minor convenience.

I think it's weird how upset people get about this technology. If you don't like it and don't think it's worth the money, there's an easy solution: don't buy it! I don't think it's worth the cost myself, and as such I'm taking the drastic step of not placing an order. But that doesn't mean it's useless or that nobody else wants it.

I would also be interested in real world reviews.

For me personally it's a solution looking for a problem and what really turns me off are the losses. There are lots of losses in the charging - discharging - propulsion chain with EVs. Some are hard to avoid, some are easy to avoid. Plugging in is easy in most situations.

Reactions: newtman
Not sure about aftermarket, but if Tesla offered it integrated into the car as say a $2,000 add on, I'd buy it.

I think the technology is still maturing though. I'm expecting soon enough iphones will come with embedded wireless charging.

Even if it were free I can't see myself using it. The loss of efficiency and presumed added weight to the car would not be worth the 8 seconds is would save me every 3 days when I charge. And I don't like to charge every night, seems with this I would have to be on the app to turn off charging 2 of three nights, which would make it more time consuming than just plugging in. Maybe if I didn't have any hands...

And I don't like to charge every night, seems with this I would have to be on the app to turn off charging 2 of three nights, which would make it more time consuming than just plugging in. Maybe if I didn't have any hands...

Not specifically a fan of plugless power, but if all inconveniences are removed, why would you purposefully go out of your way not to charge every night?

Trying to get your battery swapped out by a warranty replacement?

• Funny
Reactions: newtman
From my understanding of Li-ion batteries, they last longest when charged around 50%. I think (no clear evidence of this) that cycling them from 80-50% should result in longer battery life then charging them to 80% every night.

The last longest when kept around 50%, not when starting to charge from 50% up. Using that rational you can make a case that you should just 100% charge it every 5 days, which will definitely be very bad.

I somewhat agree that charging it to 80% every 3 days would be better than charging it to 80% every day. But if you charge it every 3 days and you have to charge it to 80%, it implies that you can charge it daily and charge it to 60%, and you would be able to drive the same distances. Keeping the battery around 60% would always be better for it than keeping it around 80%.