TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Polestar 1

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by voltage, Jan 22, 2020.

1. voltage

voltage Member

Just watched a review of the Polestar 1 on MotorWeek. Holly crap, $156k for 70 miles of range. 4 cylinder engine kicks in once battery depletes. 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. 4.4 cubic feet of trunk space. Between this and the Taycan, the Performance Model S is truly a bargain and years ahead of the competition.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. jmmmmm

jmmmmm Member

:eek: This isn't even a competitor to the original Model S. 150 in the US??? Whats the point?

3. AYCE

AYCE Member

Completely agree. A $156K hybrid? All that carbon fiber, 600+ HP, 700+ lb-ft of torque, and it's still slower to 60 than our non-Performance Standard Range S? What is Volvo/Polestar thinking? And what are buyers of the first 150 cars thinking? Just proves how far behind the competition is.

4. Alex#$

Alex#$ Member

What a shame.. the Polestar 1 is a beautiful car in my opinion but the fact that they couldn't pull off a fully plug-in electric is an instant deal breaker. Not to mention the price o_O. The Polestar 2 does, however, look more interesting to me.

• Like x 1
  5. heinzcatsoup

heinzcatsoup Member

to be fair... the original roadster was expensive for what it was.. the polestar 1 looks 10x more beautiful than a roadster

6. AYCE

AYCE Member

Yes, bit the Roadster is a 15- or 20-year-old design and still has more range and similar performance to the Polestar 1. Volvo had access to today's technology and advances, whereas Roadster pioneered everything for everybody.

7. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

#7 Watts_Up, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    That's the problem with other car makers who still have workers all over the world making parts for ICE engines.
    So they want to continue making and selling ICE engines, but them combining them with EV
    with good range will be more and more an expensive proposition, especially with Dual-Motor.

Note: Is there really a noticeable performance boost by having a Dual-Electrical motor on the rear axial,
    and would it be simpler and more economical to have only one rear electrical motor?

The combination of front wheels ICE and rear wheels EV is not common. I believe only Peugeot/Citroen
    used it for a while with the PSA HYbrid4 powertrain but the 2020 Peugeot 508 Hybrid don't seems to use it anymore.

Note: A little detail interesting was that the PSA HYbrid4 rear engine was used for reverse, thus making the front gear box without a reverse gear.

The Polestar 1 is only a 2 Door 2+2 with a tiny trunk, so this is not really a competitor for the Model S but more for Mercedes AMG GT C Coupe.

I was thinking in fact that MotorWeek had been able to put their hand on the Polstar 2, which would be close to the Model S.

Note: The Polestar 2 is Dual-motor AWD, I wonder if there might then a possibility to have a Polstar 2
    with Tri-electrical motors using the Polestar 1 Dual-Motor rear axial?

8. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

The only other potential competitor in the near future for my needs would be the Audi e-Tron GT or whatever they're calling that thing. I sure hope that ends up being even 80% of what the newer Model S is because it will give another option to challenge Tesla to care about customer service once again.

9. voltage

voltage Member

I don’t get why this thread was moved. There’s a Taycan thread that has lived in the Model S forum. Whatever.