Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2 ordered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had come down to a final "2" as it were, a Model 3 or the Polestar 2 with the Pilot and Plus package. I ended up going with the Tesla for a couple of reasons, even though I would lose out on not only the Federal rebate of $7,500 but also a state rebate of $2,500. We currently already own a 2021 Model 3 and I was doing everything I could to add variety to the garage. I drive about 140 miles round trip a day, but already have charging at home. We do road trips often about 500 miles or so and never an issue with the tesla network. After driving the Polestar 2, what it really came down to for me was the Pilot Assist. the P2 could not stay in its lane for ANYTHING. The slightest curve would cause the car to go over the line and would cut off the car trying to pass us or cause the other lane's occupant to have to correct if I did not intercede. This is amazing to me considering the parent company is known for its safety factors. The cockpit does seem much more cramped as well. Other than those couple of items I liked the car very much. The acceleration was not as good as the M3, but it was satisfactory. I loved the heads-up display and center display as well. But when it is all said and done, the Tesla just does things better than just about anything out there for the same price.

I had come down to a final "2" as it were, a Model 3 or the Polestar 2 with the Pilot and Plus package. I ended up going with the Tesla for a couple of reasons, even though I would lose out on not only the Federal rebate of $7,500 but also a state rebate of $2,500. We currently already own a 2021 Model 3 and I was doing everything I could to add variety to the garage. I drive about 140 miles round trip a day, but already have charging at home. We do road trips often about 500 miles or so and never an issue with the tesla network. After driving the Polestar 2, what it really came down to for me was the Pilot Assist. the P2 could not stay in its lane for ANYTHING. The slightest curve would cause the car to go over the line and would cut off the car trying to pass us or cause the other lane's occupant to have to correct if I did not intercede. This is amazing to me considering the parent company is known for its safety factors. The cockpit does seem much more cramped as well. Other than those couple of items I liked the car very much. The acceleration was not as good as the M3, but it was satisfactory. I loved the heads-up display and center display as well. But when it is all said and done, the Tesla just does things better than just about anything out there for the same price.
I'm shocked by your experience with Pilot Assist. I drove Volvo's with Pilot Assist before and always felt they were among the best for highway lane keeping.

I'm shocked by your experience with Pilot Assist. I drove Volvo's with Pilot Assist before and always felt they were among the best for highway lane keeping.
I agree, I was very surprised. I also had someone else drive it and they had the same experience as I did. I read a number of forums for Polestar and saw it was a common complaint as well. The Polestar Space I was at had just taken delivery of about 50 cars and had a large number of what I would have driven off with. I mentioned the issue to the Rep that worked with us and he even acknowledged it a bit. He said they were more focused on tweaking range and efficiency at the moment and they might work on the Pilot Assist down the road.

With how EV's are holding their value right now, I am NOT set on holding on to the Model 3 (I also ordered before the $5,000 in price increases recently). I will take delivery and keep my options open. I am betting within a year or so I would be changing and getting something different.

As far as I can tell there might be 1 front radar unit and 4 'hd' cameras for Driver and/or Pilot assist. I have no idea about the computer capabilty. I don't know if the base car has all the sensors and is software limited or what not. I don't know how much can be fixed with software, but would guess alot. Does not seem to be a lot of tech info out there, yet. TACC and lane following does not seem like an exotic feature, not sure why they would screw it up.
Also in the waiting and comparing cycle...

Polestar 2 ACC seemed better than my Vision Only Model 3's TACC, when I tested the P2's ACC for a couple minutes in mild-medium freeway traffic through a major merge/split point. It was quicker to accelerate and more consistent in its following behavior, and also smoother when slowing down.

VO TACC is kind of crappy though, if you have radar AP of any generation that's better.

I didn't test P2 ACC in stop-and-go. I've read it's worse for that because you have to hit a "resume" button to get moving again.

I also didn't test lane keeping, it wasn't a priority for me at all, I didn't really care if it worked or not. But since the P2's ACC was brought up I figured I'd share my positive experience - and I do care about ACC/TACC quite a bit. (I foolishly assumed my new Model 3 would have TACC equal to AP 2+ Model S and didn't test TACC on my test Model 3 test drives...silly me!)

Reactions: pipestem
Polestar 2 ACC seemed better than my Vision Only Model 3's TACC, when I tested the P2's ACC for a couple minutes in mild-medium freeway traffic through a major merge/split point. It was quicker to accelerate and more consistent in its following behavior, and also smoother when slowing down.

VO TACC is kind of crappy though, if you have radar AP of any generation that's better.

I didn't test P2 ACC in stop-and-go. I've read it's worse for that because you have to hit a "resume" button to get moving again.

I also didn't test lane keeping, it wasn't a priority for me at all, I didn't really care if it worked or not. But since the P2's ACC was brought up I figured I'd share my positive experience - and I do care about ACC/TACC quite a bit. (I foolishly assumed my new Model 3 would have TACC equal to AP 2+ Model S and didn't test TACC on my test Model 3 test drives...silly me!)

Thanks for the info. I agree TACC is something I care about a lot, and my Tesla's is reliable but a bit cautious, gives other drivers too much chance to jump ahead.