TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Polestar 2...

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by carvana, Aug 18, 2019.

1. carvana

carvana Member

Anyone here waiting to see how Polestar 2 turns up before buying Tesla model 3.
    If yes, why, and if not, why?
    Thanks!!

• Funny x 5
  2. KenC

KenC Active Member

No, when they announced the Polestar2, it was only going to be released in very select markets. In the US, that meant mostly California, and it was going to be more expensive, with less range. And it's not expected to ship until next year. Not to mention it doesn't use the Supercharger network. Matching the specs of the Tesla is not going to make people wait.

3. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

You’ve been around this forum for almost a year.
    You’ve obviously done a ton of research in that year.
    Do you have a car choice in mind at this point ?
    What are your hesitations to pulling the trigger. ?
    What do you drive now ?

4. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

No. Ugly inside. Typical interior. I like simplicity.

5. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Member

i think the polestar looks good from the outside. it’s s little high off the ground which i think will impact performance. The interior is a disaster though,

6. RobDickinson

RobDickinson Member

Personally prefer the look of the model 3, and the boot of the polestar2 looks unusable even though its a hatchback.

Plus it costs more than a LR QDS with less performance
    And its not yet available to even pr-order where I live.

7. Mrcarcrazy

Mrcarcrazy Easily distracted

I’m not a fan of the polestar 2’s looks. And it’s slow...I like fast.

8. OCR1

OCR1 Active Member

When Volvo has 15 years of EV experience behind them I’ll gladly take a look at their cars.

9. carvana

carvana Member

Yes. I drive an Outback and ready to buy model 3 anytime. Due to personal reasons, could not buy it earlier this year. Having waited an year, wanted to see if it would make any difference waiting a little bit more. Polestar 2 seems to be the only interesting thing coming in 2020 close to a model 3. Based on my research, it looks like model 3 is still the better buy. But, just wanted to get others thoughts as well.

10. sduck

sduck Member

This kind of post should be in the Electric Vehicles subforum, not here

• Like x 3
  11. Sully151

Sully151 Member

The 3 is a better car. Everything ICE makers are putting out are years behind. The only non Tesla cars I am interested in are the Rivian and the VW Bus.

12. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

I have never owned a Volvo, but the few times that I have driven one it seemed like a nice car with a quality feel. The Volvo owners that I have talked to all spoke highly of the brand.

When the Model Y becomes available, I would like to compare the Y and the Polestar side by side and in detail.

My main complaint with the 3 is that it has a trunk instead of a hatchback or lift back. The Polestar looks to have solved that problem as does the Y.

13. Ultron

Ultron Member

Even if the Polestar was a comparable car at a similar price you have no supercharger network in place.

• Like x 1
  14. KJD

KJD Supporting Member

Right now the supercharger network has a big lead on the CCS network. It would also appear that Electrify America is building new CCS stations at a pretty decent pace.

It will be interesting a year from now to see if Tesla can keep that lead or if CCS narrows that lead.

15. dingyibvs

dingyibvs Member

I'm keeping an eye on it. Tesla will have a solid lead in motor and battery, but not everyone will care same as not everyone buys an ICE for its engine and transmission. I agree that the charging network will be big, and that's by far Tesla's biggest advantage IMO. A car represents freedom first and foremost, it needs to get a person safely and reliably from point A and point B. If the Polestar can do that then the rest will be more or less a matter of taste.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Resembles a Dodge Avenger. Do a Google Image search for 2008 Dodge Avenger to see what I mean.

I'm also reporting this post so that it's moved to the right area.

• Like x 1
  17. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

18. airpor41

airpor41 Member

#18 airpor41, Sep 13, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Was waiting for Polestar 2 or Model Y --- then I drove the 3 and decided not to wait. Both of those other cars appear to be another 18 months from real availability.

We have owned a number of Volvos and really like Volvos. In particular, their seats are the best, without question. But I strongly prefer Made in USA over made in China (where the Polestar 2 will be made). Also, as noted in recent articles, Tesla has a big lead in efficiency and overall technology. And, finally, Tesla's charging network makes them a lot more practical.

• Like x 1
  19. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member