Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polestar 2...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, when they announced the Polestar2, it was only going to be released in very select markets. In the US, that meant mostly California, and it was going to be more expensive, with less range. And it's not expected to ship until next year. Not to mention it doesn't use the Supercharger network. Matching the specs of the Tesla is not going to make people wait.

You’ve been around this forum for almost a year.
You’ve obviously done a ton of research in that year.
Do you have a car choice in mind at this point ?
What are your hesitations to pulling the trigger. ?
What do you drive now ?
Yes. I drive an Outback and ready to buy model 3 anytime. Due to personal reasons, could not buy it earlier this year. Having waited an year, wanted to see if it would make any difference waiting a little bit more. Polestar 2 seems to be the only interesting thing coming in 2020 close to a model 3. Based on my research, it looks like model 3 is still the better buy. But, just wanted to get others thoughts as well.

Reactions: jas
I have never owned a Volvo, but the few times that I have driven one it seemed like a nice car with a quality feel. The Volvo owners that I have talked to all spoke highly of the brand.

When the Model Y becomes available, I would like to compare the Y and the Polestar side by side and in detail.

My main complaint with the 3 is that it has a trunk instead of a hatchback or lift back. The Polestar looks to have solved that problem as does the Y.

Even if the Polestar was a comparable car at a similar price you have no supercharger network in place.
Right now the supercharger network has a big lead on the CCS network. It would also appear that Electrify America is building new CCS stations at a pretty decent pace.

It will be interesting a year from now to see if Tesla can keep that lead or if CCS narrows that lead.

I'm keeping an eye on it. Tesla will have a solid lead in motor and battery, but not everyone will care same as not everyone buys an ICE for its engine and transmission. I agree that the charging network will be big, and that's by far Tesla's biggest advantage IMO. A car represents freedom first and foremost, it needs to get a person safely and reliably from point A and point B. If the Polestar can do that then the rest will be more or less a matter of taste.

Was waiting for Polestar 2 or Model Y --- then I drove the 3 and decided not to wait. Both of those other cars appear to be another 18 months from real availability.

We have owned a number of Volvos and really like Volvos. In particular, their seats are the best, without question. But I strongly prefer Made in USA over made in China (where the Polestar 2 will be made). Also, as noted in recent articles, Tesla has a big lead in efficiency and overall technology. And, finally, Tesla's charging network makes them a lot more practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean Wagner
I'll explain the reason why I choose to reserve a Polestar 2 over a Model 3.
I live near Montréal, where we have very rough winters with lots of rapid temperature changes generating complex weather phenomenons.
Cars are often frozen in the morning and lots of abrasives and chemicals are scattered on road.

Which means that, for me,...

1) Fancy door handle design is nonsense. Physics learned us that a lever amplifies an input force to provide a greater output force. In the case of the Model 3 (and some other luxury cars), it's the other way around. The door handle is designed against the user, who needs to put lots of force on the smallest portion of the lever to free the longer portion from the ice.
2) Frameless windows are a deal breaker. Windows here are often frozen, on a regular car it's not a big deal but Model 3 needs to lower the window to allow the door to open. No thanks.
3) Body protection. The Polestar 2 has plastic trims all around the bottom of the car. This protects the pain from debris projection and salt. Many canadian Model 3 owners reported fenders sandblasted to the metal after one winter. Rust beginning to show up within the first year of ownership.
4) Charge port design. The Model 3 seems to have lots of frozen charge port door problems. Insufficient sealing, motorized door, and motorized latch, all prone to ice problems. Polestar 2 has a huge seal and is opened by hand. Not flashy-techy but proven design.

Before you reply, no, pre-heating the car does not solve these problems.

Which car has more range or acceleration doesn't matter a lot to me.
I just want to be able to enter the car when I want, charge it when I want and not visit the bodyshop after each winter.

I respect Tesla for pushing the envelope, forcing other manufacturers to join the electric revolution.
But many design aspect are too much form-over-function for my taste and needs.

Reactions: jas