TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Polish interior "wood" surfaces?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by brianp6621, May 24, 2018.

1. brianp6621

brianp6621 Member

I have the black ash interior and the gloss finish off the center console door has fine scratches in it.

How can I polish those out?

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure This All Out

I am not sure what the finish is. Probably some sort of acrylic. You might try some of the plexiglass polishes and see if that helps. Otherwise a good car cleaner wax has a bit of polishing compound in it too. But both of these will probably remove the "wet look" you have. Sort of the price you pay if you are going to try to polish them.

The other alternative is to try something like Pledge which will just temporarily mask the scratches and you will probably have to apply a coating monthly. Same with swirl mark removers. They are basically just silicones and/or oils.

3. Tommy Bahama

Tommy Bahama Member

Yes it can be polished.
    Give your Service Center a call and ask what they use. When I took delivery there was a few minor scratches on the center console. While we were filling out the paperwork a tech came out with a tube of some kind of polishing compound an rubbed them out in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately I didn't think to ask what they were using.

4. phaphaphooey

phaphaphooey Member

My car had fairly severe scratches in the wood. My wife is quite crafty and literally sanded the wood down and refinished it to remove the scratches. It can be done.

5. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Be careful. The timber veneer is only .5 mm thick! I have no idea how thick the varnish layer is, but my guess is very thin.
    I know, because I made my own trim on substrate supplied by Tesla.