Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

Are you in favor or against U.S. doing more in Ukraine?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ukrainian delegation tells U.S. bureaucracy is no excuse.
A Ukrainian delegation warned U.S. officials in Washington this week that security assistance packages are not arriving quick enough in the besieged country, a plea that comes amid Western security claims that the Kremlin will soon intensify its military campaign.

Over the past week, the delegation of Ukrainian civil society advocates, military veterans and former government officials met with 45 lawmakers, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, officials at the departments of State and Defense and the National Security Council at the White House.

“It’s the 44th day of the war that we were supposed to lose on the third day,” began Daria Kaleniuk, who runs Ukraine’s Anti-Corruption Action Center, a national organization that assists Ukraine’s parliament and prosecutor’s office.

“What we need now is to arm our military and our territorial defense units to be able to prevent more graves in the backyards of innocent people,” she said on Friday.

Kaleniuk added that U.S. lawmakers and Biden administration officials outlined a number of justifications for why certain weapons systems cannot be delivered, citing logistics issues, lack of inventory and bureaucratic limitations.

“The six-year-old boy who is visiting his mother’s grave in his backyard does not want to hear about bureaucracy as an excuse for not delivering weapons to Ukraine,” Kaleniuk said.

“This is an extraordinary situation where extraordinary measures have to be done. Lift your bureaucracy, lift it now. The president of the United States has huge power, Congress has huge power. We know it’s possible,” she added.

Word of the day: kleptocracy
Kleptocracy (from Greek κλέπτης kléptēs, "thief", κλέπτω kléptō, "I steal", and -κρατία -kratía from κράτος krátos, "power, rule") is a government whose corrupt leaders (kleptocrats) use political power to appropriate the wealth of the people and land they govern, typically by embezzling or misappropriating government funds at the expense of the wider population.[1][2] Thievocracy means literally the rule by thievery and is a term used synonymously to kleptocracy.[3][4]

Previous Ukranian regime was kleptocratic. Russia today is described as very kleptocratic.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
Слава Україні! Героям Слава!
Слава нації! Смерть ворогам!
Україна понад усе!
Слава Україні will come when the truth comes out. Learn the common language of the world. You have a story to tell. Tell it. Be passionate. You are being attacked by a kleptocracy, because the criminals feared Ukraine would expose their corruption. Russia is making billions from oil and gas and squandering it on a few. Most of the Russian people live near poverty, while a few exploit them.

For my American friends: How can we claim to be defenders of freedom when we don't defend freedom?

Excerpt: These are #Russian soldiers getting their asses handed to them by a #Ukrainian tank.
Unfortunately and tragically this was indeed a case of Friendly Fire on UA troops.

Apparently there was an stuck and abandoned Russian BMP at extreme left in camera view, the markings visible.
The UA troops markings were not easily visible, or lacking.
Tank gunner/crew, locked in the tank looking out tiny windows, had too poor visibility, might have panicked and fired.
More will be reveled over time.

There have been numerous cases of Friendly Fire in this war, not surprising as both sides have nearly identical equipment and everyone loves green uniforms.

Most of the Russian soldiers who are in Ukraine come from the poor parts of Russia. Unsurprising since that is probably true of the U.S. soldiers also.
BBC estimates 20% lost have been officers:

...Friendly Fire...
I can see clearly the action of raising a right arm real high up then quickly down just a moment before the point-blank shot from the tank:

xoyZ15o.jpg

Was that wave of the hand to greet the tank?

If it was not a friendly gesture then, of course, that could explain why the tank retaliated with an unfriendly gesture in a point-blank cannon shot.

The soldier on the left was still working on the cell phone so it didn't seem the group thought that it was an unfriendly situation.

Last edited:
Slovakia will potentially send MiG-29s to Ukraine:
Pentagon does 'not object’ to potential transfer of jets from Slovakia to Ukraine

Quote: Switchblade unmanned aerial systems, a significant number of them are now inside Ukraine for use by their forces

Pentagon considering sending heavy weapons to Ukraine
Quote:
Q: So as you work towards trying to get the Ukrainians heavier weapons like artillery, armor, et cetera, what can you tell us about your effort to see if maybe you -- if the U.S. has something in inventory that might work for them with minimal training?

... if we determine, in concert with the Ukrainians, that there's additional systems that they need that we can provide but that might require some training, then we're certainly willing to talk to them about that and what that would look like. ... the idea that they might need something that might require training is not prohibitive in terms of our decision-making.

Last edited:
I can see clearly the action of raising a right arm real high up then quickly down just a moment before the point-blank shot from the tank:

xoyZ15o.jpg

Was that wave of the hand to greet the tank?

If it was not a friendly gesture then, of course, that could explain why the tank retaliated with an unfriendly gesture in a point-blank cannon shot.

The soldier on the left was still working on the cell phone so it didn't seem the group thought that it was an unfriendly situation.
Yep, looks increasingly like friendly fire.

Ukrainian complains about social media:
Transcript
Hello everyone, my name is Yarema Dukh, and here is a short video about whether social networks really understand what is happening in Ukraine.
* Sweet song about patriotism playing *
Last week I was blocked on Twitter.
For the first time since 2009, I have had a problem with the social network, which I have wholeheartedly loved for a long time.
The reason is the dissemination of another person's private information without their permission.
Yes, I published a military ticket of the Russian occupier, let's call him Vlad, which was found on the territory of Ukraine.
We have had a lot of this garbage lying around the country recently. Do they have a spawning ground somewhere here or what?
Moreover, I wasn't even the source of this photo – it was on the Internet before me already.
But Twitter wasn’t convinced – they insisted I have to delete the tweet with this photo, otherwise, they refused to restore my access to their services.
Once again, Twitter is concerned about the private information of the Russian soldier who invaded Ukraine.
He invaded to kill the Ukrainian military personnel and civilians, including women and children.

1:35
But back to Vlad. I managed to get confirmation from our unit, which has his other documents, that he was not a conscript but on a contract. The contract he signed last year.
So, this brainless creature decided to join the Russian army, then invaded Ukraine, helped to murder Ukrainians here,
2:03
and I’m the one who has to worry about his privacy? Seriously?
And to worry that someone will find out his data?
And it's not just my story. Every day, my friends tell me that someone's post has been removed, someone's story has been deleted, and someone has been blocked.
In various social media. Generally, because we, Ukrainians, simply tell what we see and how we feel.
We see the atrocities of the Russian army and the Russian people. We feel great loathing, disgust, and hatred for them.
These are absolutely normal feelings in this situation.
But not all countries and not all global companies understand us.
It seems that social media were not ready that Ukrainians would write millions of posts in dozens of languages about how they feel about the war.
And what they think about the terrorist country – Russia.
2:59
Some social media understand us better and support us, and some understand us worse and ban us.
But, in my opinion, all of them still do not understand us enough.
Maybe we don't explain well? Perhaps our examples are too distant and incomprehensible for Western companies?
Okay, let's explain with unambiguous examples. Everyone knows the history of World War 2; let's use this.
The Second World War examples will help explain what Ukrainians are feeling and experiencing now.
Please like it, subscribe and send it to your friends if you enjoy this video.
What if Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram emerged before World War II? How would they look? What would be their policies?
Would the rules be the same for the people of occupied Europe as we see them now for the Ukrainians?
Imagine Winston Churchill's speech "We shall fight on the beaches" in 1940. It would be streamed live from the British Parliament on all platforms.
4:09
And imagine that this video suddenly becomes unavailable for viewing in the United States because it calls for violence, and there seems to be hate speech against the Nazis.
You can't say such things in public, be delicate with your enemies. They simply want to grab your land. What's your problem?
Or imagine a resident of occupied Brussels.
He discovers in his house a passport of a Nazi that came to kill him and his family.
But you can't tweet it because Twitter will block you for spreading Nazi's personal information.
Yes, the privacy of a Nazi who invades your country and kills civilians is very important.
Imagine being a fighter in the European Resistance Movement, which publishes how they shoot at the Nazis and win.
Oh no, this video system will also remove – you're provoking aggression! Please, don't share this sad news with people.
5:00
Imagine Anne Frank's diary, which she publishes as stories and posts on Instagram.
The girl documents Nazi crimes on a daily basis and tells what her family is going through.
No one can find her, the Nazis can't find her. That's why the Nazis are launching their bots from a bot farm near Munich.
The bots report the account, and Instagram is blocking Anne Frank's profile and deleting all posts.
Imagine if Nazi leaders had the opportunity to run their profiles on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media during World War II. What might it look like?
How would the Nazi leadership describe the Holocaust on social media?
"We entered another liberated city. Surprisingly, our soldiers found all the citizens dead. Who did it? We will conduct our independent investigation led by Obersturmbannführer Adolf Eichmann."
And how would the Nazi leadership respond to other events of World War II on social media? For example, what would you say about the Warsaw Uprising?
"Having a good time with my family and friends [in the Alps]. I am very sad that the Poles decided to blow up their capital."
6:08
Imagine those rescued from the Nazi concentration camps in 1945. They want to share their stories with the world.
There are many photos and videos to share.
So, they start posting, posting a lot.
But their social media stories are being hidden and deleted because artificial intelligence decides to.
The images are too awful; people shouldn't spoil their news feeds.
It all sounds like a fantasy, but replace the Nazis with the Russians and Hitler with Putin – and you'll get the news from 2022.
And this news is not fantasy, but stories – mine, my friends, and acquaintances. And similar cases with the social media of thousands of Ukrainians.
Perhaps you also have such stories? Email them to me – if I need examples in the future, I will use them.
We need to remind social networks that they have to respond to what's happening in 2022.
Dear social media, you need to meet current obstacles.
7:00
Neither you nor the Ukrainians wanted the war. Russia wanted one.
But only together can we stop Nazism in the 21st century.
Help Ukrainians, help the world to know the truth. Stand on the side of freedom and courage.
Update your rules. Remove the access of the Russian government agencies and their propagandists to social media.

Status
Not open for further replies.