TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

POLL: Do you use the Frunk on your Model 3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SPIKE's M3AWD, Aug 28, 2018.

?

M3 Frunk vs Truck usage

1. I use the Frunk

1.0%
  2. Frunk high usage, Trunk low usage

7.5%
  3. I use both the Frunk and Trunk

16.6%
  4. Trunk high usage, Frunk low usage

43.2%
  5. I use the Trunk

31.7%
  1. SPIKE's M3AWD

SPIKE's M3AWD Member

One month into ownership and I have not used the frunk yet. When I get out of my M3 I walk towards the rear to plug it in. It is more convenient to use the closer trunk.

Also I am still uncomfortable closing the frunk. Does the hood dent as easy as the manual leads you to believe? It looks pretty solid to me!

The frunk size could be advantageous when hauling small items. Does the frunk "well" keep packages from jostling about?

2. sduck

sduck Member

I've used it once or twice to transport pizza with that stinky turbo crust. Other than that, it's gotten zero use. So far.

• Like x 2
  3. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

I use the trunk but that's mostly because I have not filled the trunk enough to need the frunk.

At superchargers I see people regularly use the frunk to load up groceries.

• Like x 1
  4. Terthen

Terthen Member

Don't use it at all whereas with our X we use it a lot. But it is because we don't take the 3 when hauling a lot of stuff.

5. Linkeds2

Linkeds2 Member

We keep the double stroller in the trunk. Did grocery pickup at Walmart (gotta afford this lifestyle somehow) and couldn’t fit a 48 case of water bottles in the trunk. Fits perfectly in the frunk

• Funny x 1
  6. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

I never use the back trunk but I use the frunk all the time. It's so much more convenient to access after parking.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  7. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

Stinky gym clothes, wet pool gear, stinky cycling clothes. All go in the frunk

• Like x 1
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I keep my emergency car kit in the frunk. It is a fairly big bag of stuff since I live and drive in a rural area that can also have a real winter.

• Like x 1
  9. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

I use it for seldom used items- charger kit, flat tire kit, EMT-style first aid kit. And my dry wash kit.

10. timk225

timk225 Active Member

I think I've opened the frunk about 5 times since I got my car, and 4 of those were to show others what it looked like. I actually put something in it once.

• Like x 2
  11. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

pizza on an occasion or 2, gathered 'trash' (in bags) when on trips ie i'm one of those that brings empty bottles etc home to be recycled

12. TT97

TT97 Active Member

I use the trunk mostly to carry food and other items with smells. My emergency kit and charger are in the bottom trunk compartment.

13. devilmountain

devilmountain Member

I have only used mine for take out.

14. Lobstahz

Lobstahz Member

I've used mine only when necessary due to the trunk/passenger compartment being full. I'm scared of denting the hood. If I felt more comfortable closing it without damaging it I'd be inclined to use it more.

15. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I keep a stroller in the frunk and use it when picking up food.

B9FC239A-D60F-46F8-8321-E9F350181501.jpeg

• Like x 2
  16. RichXKU

RichXKU Member

It's the perfect size for my laptop bag and lunch cooler, and with the frunk button permanently in the notification bar on the new Android app, access is easy.

• Love x 1
  17. Kira

Kira Member

I use the frunk as long as whatever it is will fit in there and my hands aren't totally full. As others have mentioned, it's great for keeping food smells out of the cabin.

When I took the kids camping recently, I put all the non-cooler food in the frunk and we just grabbed things out of there as needed instead of putting it in a separate container/bag that needed to be moved back and forth from the car to ensure we had a "clean" site. At one point, a group of young boys walked past our site when the frunk was open and we heard:

"That's a COOL Tesla!"

I do online grocery ordering and then pick up in the store parking lot. [Side note: really impressed with how much time and money this saves!] Our city now has a plastic bag ban, meaning stores cannot give out plastic bags anymore. Popped a couple of those blue Ikea bags in the frunk and it was the perfect size for everything. The store employees who bring out the groceries always get a kick out of it, too :)

18. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

I find the frunk is a pain in the butt since I have to pull out my phone to open it. I like the hard button for the trunk. Also, closing it is a two handed operation and kind of a pain (takes multiple tries usually).

With that said, it gets decent use. My daughter specifically loves it and so she encourages me to use it. Also, we have taken several trips in the M3 and so I always put my laptop bag and overnight bag in there.

• Like x 1
  19. clmason

clmason Member

I have these low usage items in my frunk and leave them there full time:
    Tire Plug Repair Kit
    Portable Air Compressor (in case of a flat)
    Rags
    Windex
    First Aid Kit

Everything else goes in the trunk.

• Like x 1
  20. Azlope

Azlope Member

use the frunk primarily when bringing home takeout food. Works great for the pizza since you don't smell it in the cabin and get the urge to eat and drive or worse yet speed home ;). The Trunk has so much room and I am usually approaching the car from the trunk so it just works out that way.

• Love x 1