Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Does your X have the "Shudder" issue?

What Model X do you have and does it have the "shudder" problem?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So - I'm seeing several posts with people complaining of the shudder problem, where others say they don't have the issue. I figured I'd start a non-scientific poll to see if it's more common on certain X variants . . .

For those that have the shudder - what wheels and tires are you running?
I had the shudder issue on a 2019 MXLR with 20" wheels. Brought it to dealer and fixed it under warranty by replacing both front end half shafts. Seems to have fixed the issue.

The shudder is wheel independent. Only thing affecting it is the electric shock height (more shudder on higher settings; less on lower settings). It's never bothered me that much (lots of gas cars do strange things under full-throttle acceleration too), so I've never tried to do anything about it.

Reactions: blitzpa
2018 P100D 21” wheels. Had the shudder, brought it in in December, seems to have fixed it for the last few thousand miles. Also got HW3 done without even knowing they were going to do it. The list of replaced parts for the shudder fix was pretty extensive but definitely included motor mounts.

Just picked up my late 2018 X 75D with 20” stock wheels today from the service center with replaced half shafts and clevis mount (also got HW 3). Only drove home but shudder appears to be gone. The tech said it’s not a permanent fix. I’m not sure if that’s official or just his opinion based on older fixes. We’ll see.

2017 X P100D. I was provided the clevis mount and half-shafts fix under warranty by Service Center today. Fixed acceleration shuddering for now. Don't know if it will be a permanent fix or not, but I'm happy with the service center's resolution at this time.
Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-9-13-09-PM.png

2109 (Nov) MX LR. Stock 20" slipstream with aftermarket winter tyres (Hankook non studded).I have only been running the winter tyres since delivery on Dec 20:th-2019. I have driven 3385 km. Shudder is worse on Normal but can be felt on Low. I have slight vibrations even when not accelerating but when I accelerate there is also a bad sound. So sad to see this happen after only 6 weeks with the car. I haven't contacted Tesla yet. I will do that today and see what their answer is.

2019 July delivery Model X LRP (Raven) with shudder/vibration/noise starting from around 3k miles, it has got progressively worse to the point now that any level of acceleration produces loud noise that starts from low speed and goes all the way up to whatever speed you're trying to hit - frequency of the noise rises with speed. In my opinion the vibration is also possibly messing with the adaptive suspension as the front end can go very light and washy over 60mph when the noise is present.

Has been to Tesla three times (November, December and late January). Like other owners, "recordings" have been taken and sent to Tesla HQ. I was told that HQ are aware of the problem and investigating this issue for Raven vehicles, further that no fix is known of at this time and that it is NOT related to the pre-Raven drive shaft shudder issues.

My attempts to get this escalated and engage in any further conversation on the subject have now been met with a wall of silence and non-response. Aside from the fact that my very expensive car is not fit for purpose, the complete cutting of any ongoing communication is in my opinion a deeply worrying aspect.

The poll on this thread appears to show (if my math is right) that 44% of those responding with a Raven have this issue (and growing - it was 30% not long ago). This is very worrying indeed and my greatest fear is that we end up with a patch up job that may keep on failing in the future (as the pre-Raven shudder "fix" appears to do).

• Informative
Reactions: lowtek
Yes, Raven XLR, 22 inch wheels, 9/19/19 production. I noticed it on day one under heavy acceleration just after leaving Fremont delivery. Seems like now a little worse after 8000 miles. Issue is virtually eliminated on VERY LOW suspension setting. I will take it into SC at some point which for me is San Rafael.

2016 Model X stock 20" wheels, strong shudder with continentals and now eagles. Shudder getting worse year-by-year. Wonder if this is bad for longevity of parts or damaging to car? Service Center now replacing half-shafts and clevis mount.

I dropped my car off last friday for side pillars that keep saying they were blocked, even when clean. Also demanded that they fix my shudder or buy my car back since they had been refusing to address the situation. They text me today saying that my car was almost ready and that they had replaced both axles. Crossing my fingers. I really want to like this car.