Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll for Model 3 owners: Vampire drain rates?

What average rate of vampire drain (in miles lost per 24 hours) are you observing on your Model 3?

• 0-1 miles

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • 2-3 miles

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • 4-5 miles

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • 6-7 miles

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • 8-9 miles

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 10-12 miles

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • 13-15 miles

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • 16-19 miles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20+ miles

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solved! Firstly, I shut off all Alexa apps that had access.

Then more importantly I got my raw data from TezLab. They were pinging the car many times per hour, all night long. Seems to me that their waking up of the car is the issue here, so I denied them acc as and now I’m losing 1 mi. per night.

So yeah of course the more apps you have waking up the car the more drain you but I wouldn’t have expected an accredited app like TezLab from being the cause. Hmmmmm...
Jb

Attachments

• 5BB149D0-0A35-48C5-9A86-D8A0C66538D1.png
    5BB149D0-0A35-48C5-9A86-D8A0C66538D1.png
    515.6 KB · Views: 78
So yeah of course the more apps you have waking up the car the more drain you but I wouldn’t have expected an accredited app like TezLab from being the cause. Hmmmmm...
Jb
What do you mean by accredited app? Tesla specifically says in the owners manual they do not support third party apps. I would never let anything communicate with my car other than the official Tesla app. Anyone doing so does it at their own risk (and then complains about vampire drain, and then is shocked that it’s the third party crap they signed up for is causing it).

I was just outside removing my aero hubcaps in the sun (full sun, no clouds) and I noticed my car’s AC was on/climate control fan blowing. I checked my app and my car was asleep and it gave me the option of turning on climate control (therefore, the system was Off). It was reporting interior temp at 95F. I wasn’t charging or plugged in either.

So it seems like my cabin overheat protection is turned on. Except that the “secret” menu for the cabin overheat protection is gone so I can’t change it or verify it. When it was available, I did turn it on. But I’m pretty sure I had turned it off after figuring it wasn’t working. But I could be wrong.

The sun came out around 915am. This morning my car was showing 199mi of range. After I checked the app, it was showing 198 (about 2 hours later). Yesterday, during the day (say, maybe, 9am to 9pm) I lost about 5mi or range. But if the cabin overheat protection is operational, it would’ve been on yesterday too (similar weather/sun).

Has anyone else noticed their cabin overheat protection running at all?

Aside from this observation, my car has been pretty good with phantom drain (since 18.2, currently on 18.13), maybe losing 1mi overnight, if at all.

How was your drain before 18.2?

The first day I was on 18.1 was the first day I started using TezLab. I was using that for a few days and was sure it was contributing to my overnight/daytime drain (anywhere from 8-15 miles per day). So when 18.2 came out, I updated and then changed my Tesla password and stopped using TezLab. But when I was on 14.7 (delivered with this version), I was losing about 4-5 miles per 24 hours.

Also, regarding the cabin overheat protection, there was a thread on Reddit where people reported their cars AC running on its own in the middle of the day as well.

Can we please not abbreviate the version number, at least not while in the 18s, I cannot tell if you mean 2018.18.2 or 2018.2 (before my time)

I was just washing the car and as always could hear the internal fan, that is why I have only been doing vampire loss checking via taking pics at night and then again in the AM. I set alarms for 8 am/pm. During the day I might drive it or the fan might be on, so that's all expected loss. But if I am parked for the night and losing 10 miles that's a bit unexplained.

-Randy

I left my car on Valet mode during work, and it drained about 8km in 9 hours. But overnight when valet mode is off only lost about 2km in 12 hours.
But I don't know if it is the sun/temperature doing things...
Will report again in a few days.