Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many are still using original 12V Battery that came with the car?

Is your Model 3 still using its original 12 volt battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are talking about the lead acid batreries
What year did those end for each model?
The poll didn't put a bound on the Model Year, so a 2017 Model 3 owner still using the original battery is a lot different than a 2023 Model 3 owner still using the original battery. The poll would have been more useful if it was polling for the Model Year (If you are still using the original battery, when was your Model 3 made?).

2021, December 2020 delivery. Thinking about replacing at three years. Are there warnings before the battery goes belly up?

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 103
If you are within Tesla's mobile service area, contact them using the app and have them come out to you to swap the battery. Should be in the range of $120 or so. If you are the DIY type, you can still get the battery delivered with mobile service (or buy it from a Service Center over-the-counter). Under the frunk there is a plastic panel near the base of the windshield that pops off and the battery is right there. I believe that the procedure also involves disconnecting the high voltage plug under the rear passenger seat prior to removing the 12V battery.

Really, it's worth the cost of the extra $35 for a service tech to do it. I had my battery proactively replaced when it was almost 4 years old. No problems with it; just wanted it done before leaving on a trip. Since it was a replacement requested by me and that the battery was still "good", they left the old one with me and it's still sitting in my garage. Probably run down by now and I'll have to deal with disposing it in a proper manner.

June 2018 build, 40,069 miles, 12V battery warning popped up. Service says you have about 3 weeks once that error pops. Frustrating part is that it disabled my 12V accessories, including Sentry and 3rd party dash cams, and have to wait multiple weeks before I can get a new battery.

After reading enough about getting 'bricked' I replaced my 12v battery yesterday to be proactive. The old battery was original 7/18, just over 5 years old. I figure I got my money's worth. Initially they brought a 'new' replacement dated 8/22. I refused it and asked for a newer manufacture date. Yesterday they put in a 5/23 manufacture date. House call for $271 all in.