Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: How many are still using original 12V Battery that came with the car?

Is your Model 3 still using its original 12 volt battery?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's another reason to do it yourself, because that tech wasn't careful. But anyone who has done work on vehicles has lost a small part in an area that is difficult to retrieve and end up spending more time finding it then the work they originally were doing. And it's not just with vehicles, it's anything with tight spaces.

Yep, 30 minutes to drive to Tesla to pick up the battery, 30 minutes to drive back home, install the battery and possibly drop the elbow myself, then have to dispose of the old battery... Mobile tech can come out and do it for relatively minimal flat fee.

Pro's and con's, pro's and con's. :)

Yep, 30 minutes to drive to Tesla to pick up the battery, 30 minutes to drive back home, install the battery and possibly drop the elbow myself, then have to dispose of the old battery... Mobile tech can come out and do it for relatively minimal flat fee.

Pro's and con's, pro's and con's. :)

I'm notoriously lazy....I see a mobile tech visit in my future. :)

Best,

• Disagree
Reactions: derotam and Resist
I'm notoriously lazy....I see a mobile tech visit in my future. :)

Best,

Reply to my own post. I got a warning a couple of days ago about the 12V battery needing replacement. I scheduled the replacement on the app. 2 days later the tech showed up and replaced the battery in about 20 minutes and performed the rear camera harness recall in the trunk at the same time.

$114.70 and done at my convenience in my driveway. Happy camper.

Now the 2nd owner will have a fresh battery when I trade it in for my new Model 3 Performance in May/June. :)

Best,

Mine failed at 3 years, 3 months. No warning. Had just washed it that day, no problem. Main battery at 79%. Went to open door and it would not open. I immediately got a notification on my phone that the battery was getting low and I should schedule service.

I was able to open the passenger side door with the app, and also the frunk, which was fortunate. Checked the battery, and it was at about 5 volts. Nothing else would work. So I got brave and connected a 12 volt lithium charger I got from Costco for $99 (great deal, I thought). After an hour or so, the battery was at about 10 volts, and I connected my Battery Tender trickle charger. An hour or two later, the car came back to life, and everything seemed normal, and stayed that way for a couple of days until mobile service came out and replaced it under warranty. I was glad I could back it out of the garage for them to work on.

I really wonder why it suddenly died, since I was able to charge it and it held a charge. The main battery is always between 50% and 80%, never low, so it should have been able to maintain the charge until the battery totally died, which doesn't usually happen suddenly, in my long experience with car batteries. But at least I know how to get it going again if it happens in the future.