Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[poll] Longterm TeslaCam hardware reliability

How has your TeslaCam hardware performed during its use?

• I replaced all of my setup. I went with same solution again - its a consumable item

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I gave up on TeslaCam

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UK Model 3's have been around over a year now, S and X even longer. We should have some reasonable reliability data starting to come through regarding various TeslaCam hardware solutions.
  • How has your TeslaCam media performed during this time?
  • Have you had any problems with it?
  • How often do you use the feature, ie Dashcam and/or sentry mode?
  • How long do you expect TeslaCam media to last - do you treat it as a consumable item or expect it to last duration of ownership?
  • Has TeslaCam failed when you needed it most - failed to record an incident etc

Longer term (9 months+) users only please, unless you have had a failure. Please ignore software issues.

Last edited:
We has a minor fault now resolved.

It got resolved by
  • using a different formatting option (RMPrep - option 3) to recover corrupt media due to incorrect media removal
  • securely affixing the USB dongle to the underside of the phone shelf to stop it moving around whilst driving

We use a Sandisk 128GB (High) Endurance device, but if I was purchasing again, the new Max Endurance would be my choice. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B084CJ9T2R

Our USB/SD adaptor is a UGreen dual media adaptor https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EFPX9XA/ and the other slot has a 128GB Sandisk Ultra card that holds our music collection in FLAC format.

Last edited:
My TeslaCam was really intermittent and would need regular re-formatting. I am using an endurance micro-SD card. However since I swapped card readers, it has been flawless - so I think my original card reader (a tiny, thumbnail-style one) was the weak link.

I’ve been using a SanDisk SSD since I picked up the car in August last year and still working fine. I’ve no idea how long it will last but went with a 1TB drive as have nearly 400GB of FLAC music, so about 600GB of space before it starts overwriting data, so should last for a bit. The main reason for buying the SanDisk was that SSD drives tend to be more tolerant of overwriting than USB sticks and it was on special offer on Amazon. If it wasn’t on offer I would probably have bought a Samsung T5 as have been using one for a bit to run windows.

I was wondering how many people have had a good quality endurance SD give up on them so far? . wanted to know when a good time to preemptively change mine might be. I have a Sandisk 128GB still going strong after 10 months

Last edited:
I just noticed that Sandisk now have a MAX endurance rated at 60,000 hours as opposed to the normal high endurance rated at 20,000 hours its less than double the price (£36 (amazon for 128gb) which could make it a good investment?
SanDisk Launches Max Endurance microSD Cards: 3 to 15 Years Warranty

I spotted those yesterday. High endurance were designed for reliable continuous video recording (such as dashcam and cctv) but did potentially have a finite lifespan (just over 1 year 24/7 for 128GB), but these Max cards extend that to beyond most finance periods, quite possibly vehicle lifespan if not used 24/7 - USB cables/enclosures/corruption likely to be more of a problem.

Endurance Max would be my media of choice now.

I could see an argument SSD back in the day when the recording stopped when the device was full and also because the bigger the drive the longer it lasts since the data is distributed to reduce wear on individual bits. But with these Max endurance SD which should out last most peoples ownership of the car is there any good reason to go SSD or anything else anymore unless you want to keep a huge amount of footage for some reason?