Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Model 3 Options, what will you spend your money on?

What options will you spend your money on?

• AWD

Votes: 307 64.8%
  • Performance AWD (Ludicrous Speed Upgrade)

Votes: 117 24.7%
  • Interior Upgrade Package (Leather, etc.)

Votes: 239 50.4%
  • Upgraded Wheels

Votes: 91 19.2%
  • Premium Paint (Three-Stage colors or Matte Finish options)

Votes: 147 31.0%
  • Larger Battery

Votes: 402 84.8%
  • Glass Panel Roof

Votes: 249 52.5%
  • Smart Air Suspension

Votes: 170 35.9%
  • Ultra High Fidelity Sound Package

Votes: 163 34.4%
  • Other (Please write in a reply)

Votes: 77 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been reading the forums for about a year and a half. After standing in line for four hours and putting my money down last Thursday, I feel I can finally join in on the Tesla conversation. Feels good! Since this will be my magic carpet ride to see the USA I will be needing Autopilot, Supercharger Access, and the winter package. (To see my Canadian friends)

Forgot about the high amp charger, and towing option so my guess for a fully loaded Model 3 is now $84,000:
Base $ 35,000.00
Supercharging $ 1,500.00
Paint $ 1,000.00
Larger battery $ 7,500.00
AWD $ 4,000.00
Wheels $ 2,500.00
Auto-Pilot $ 2,500.00
Leather Seats $ 2,000.00
Premium Interior $ 2,500.00
Panoramic Roof $ 1,500.00
Fancy trim (Carbon fiber) $ 750.00
HiFi $ 2,000.00
Sub-Zero $ 1,000.00
Peformance $ 10,000.00
Ludicrous $ 5,000.00
High amp charger $ 1,000.00
Towing option $ 750.00
Smart Air Suspension $ 2,500.00
Carbon Fiber Spoiler $ 1,000.00
Grand total: $84,000.00 (pre tax and delivery fees)

Does getting performance for $10g really only make sense if you also get AWD for another $4g ?
If so...that eats up most of my feasible upgrades.

AWD - moving to the mountains before my 3 arrives, so AWD is a must
Interior upgrades - leather, etc. I like the IDEA of vegan, but I simply don't like purely cloth seats. I do like the 'vegan'
i3 interior though, it includes leather that is tanned with a natural tanning agent derived from olive leaves.
"The extract from the leaves of the olive tree protects the leather in a natural way – giving it both an authentic,
unaltered look and an unmistakable character." BMW brochure
Upgraded wheels - the ones on the silver car on-stage - loved! 19" are plenty big - have you priced a full set of
replacement 21" tires lately? Tried to keep a set of 21-22"ers balanced and aligned? Won't drive anything smaller
than 18"'s though.
Larger Battery - increased range, hi-amp faster charging (larger battery required?)
Upgraded sound (currently have upgraded Harman•Kardon sound system and love it)
Auto-pilot upgrade - 'nuff said
Towing package (anyone else have/want jet ski's? My family practically lives on the lake during from spring through
early fall. This would increase my enjoyment exponentially)
Possibly paint upgrade, depending on the price. That 'candied' red was great - but I've owned an Imola red BMW for
10 years now, so it's probably time for a change. If the silver color on the car on-stage is an affordable upgrade ($500-
$1000), that would probably be my choice. Otherwise, white is my color choice this time.

**while I love the look and headroom offered by the panoramic roof, I can count on one hand the number of times
I've driven with my moonroof open, 70% of the time I even close the sunscreen on it! Can't justify the expense and
would rather apply the money to other options (such as a paint upgrade?)

I'm not sure I would select any of those. Our Model X is our main family car and Model 3 is meant to replace our LEAF. We loaded Model X up with everything except performance, wheels, and sound. The base Model 3 will blow the LEAF out of the water so I could definitely see getting cloth seats, the base battery, no bells and whistles.

Unless it's ridiculously expensive, the primary option I want even if I get no other will be AWD. Secondary might be Autopilot and Supercharger access but they could always come later I guess. Air ride suspension, premium interior, larger battery and upgraded wheels would all be nice but aren't must haves. I have a feeling they will be more than I care to spend. Time will tell...

Autopilot and any other tech related features are an absolute must, won't buy the car without them.

Winter package, premium interior and sound system are highly likely as well.

AWD, larger and panoramic roof are all extremely likely depending on the final cost.

I forgot to add Cold Weather Package. I've had heated seats now for 10years. They're especially important on an electric vehicle as using the heat on these cars drains the battery even faster than the a/c on a hot summer day.
Drain the battery, decrease the mileage.
Better to heat your back and backside than to heat the air in the entire car (especially if it's just you, or you and one passenger).
The addition of a heated steering wheel on this Tesla Cold Weather package makes it that much more desirable and in reality, more practical (better mileage in winter)!

I forgot to add Cold Weather Package. I've had heated seats now for 10years. They're especially important on an electric vehicle as using the heat on these cars drains the battery even faster than the a/c on a hot summer day.
Drain the battery, decrease the mileage.
Better to heat your back and backside than to heat the air in the entire car (especially if it's just you, or you and one passenger).
The addition of a heated steering wheel on this Tesla Cold Weather package makes it that much more desirable and in reality, more practical (better mileage in winter)!
Yep; I just hope a nice material other than leather is available. I gather that cloth and seat heating is frowned upon.

Yes LED lights are a good call. I would like to see a small tasteful spoiler offered if it fits the drag coefficient model. One more request is a standard metal roof no glass option.
Check out the "small tasteful spoiler" you can now see really well on this YouTube video (beginning at 1:17 in)
Great demo of the door handle mechanism
Tells us the size of the wheels on the silver car are 20" and "staggered width"
If you check the Model S build page it lists the choice between a metal roof and the panorama glass roof (a $1500 option for the glass). So it's likely the Model 3's glass roof will be optioned too.

Hope this helps!

Yep; I just hope a nice material other than leather is available. I gather that cloth and seat heating is frowned upon.
The S can be purchased with a so-called 'vegan interior' - in fact the interior of the silver car was supposed to be materials from that same non-leather (pleather if you will?) interior option for the S.
I understand Elon is very supportive of the idea so I imagine you'll see something similar offered on the 3.
There's no deterrent to having heated seats with cloth, in fact I have several family members who have them. Smile on!!!

The base car should be a great vehicle for my wife's commute. These are the features I'm guessing we would get for that purpose.
1. Winter package - hoping that will keep the wife happy so that we can keep the climate temp down a notch when the range is really needed.
2. Good ground clearance. I don't really want to have to go with the air suspension, but we do drive on dirt roads with potholes in the New England, and mud reason is not fun if you have the least amount of ground clearance of the cars in your neighborhood. I don't know how heavy this car will end up being, but hopefully it won't sink more than most cars.

The options that could turn it into a family/long trip vehicle. My options in order of importance.
1. Roof rack capable. No hitch mount is really going to help carry a 26' rowing single and two oars that are nearly 3 meters long. With the car not being a hatch like the S, strapping small furniture items can't fit in the back or side doors and so it will have to be strapped to the roof.
2. Whatever roof option gives me the most head room. At 6' 4", I've heard I could fit, but not sure how comfortable it will be.

Nice options when it comes down to money, and federal tax credit we might receive.
1. Autonomous driving
2. Increased battery size (We do VT to Winnepesaukee or Maine and there currently are not any Superchargers on upper hwy 91 or 93). A larger battery size probably still won't get us there, but could minimize time at an archaic outlet.
3. AWD

Sound system and bigger battery are my top two, but also depending on the exterior paint I may go premium for that as well. Currently leaning towards a silver or matte black. I guess I could install an aftermarket sound system but I really don't want to deal with the process.