Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Model Y Build Quality at Delivery 2023 Only

How was your MY build quality at delivery, or first few weeks?

• Acceptable or better from Fremont

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Not acceptable from Fremont

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Acceptable or better from Austin

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Not acceptable from Austin

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan to order a MYLR when HW4 is standard. I’ve gotten the impression build quality has improved overall, with some exceptions like any car. It seems a poll may be the only way to quantify that? I’ve read posts/watched videos reporting very acceptable and very unacceptable deliveries - but that doesn‘t tell me what’s most likely. I’ve also gotten the impression Austin MY’s now have higher build quality than Fremont?

Further explanation welcome but…

PLEASE DON‘T VOTE IN THIS POLL IF YOU TOOK DELIVERY BEFORE 2023. THANK YOU.

Reactions: Abraham
December Fremont 2023 MYP
Mine was perfect except for hatch alignment, slightly off on closing which they realigned post delivery one day later
A very small paint imperfection caught while performing PPF/ceramic which I let go
Very happy MYP owner

Only take delivery during good sunligjt
Def have a thorough inside and out inspection list ready
Have one person tracking the list
Have one person doing the inspection
Take detailed photos
Go slow
Drive to check wheel alignment
My lesson learned, pay a body shop $100 to deeply inspect the paint for fixing, have them write a report to give to Tesla if work needs to be done

Decide on majors if they exist on your list and if you should decline delivery

Majors are not:
panel/door/hatch alignment, easily fixed
Paint imperfections, easily fixed
Dirt or smudges on glass or paint, easy

Majors are:
Multiple hardware, inside and or outside that has to be replaced
Meaning there is a lot of noise to remedy

The Tesla ecosystem is what it is all about, best in the EV industry
The MY is amazing

Post purchase, add rhe protections which are documented on this forum and YouTube

Good luck

Reactions: Midpack
All HW4 in the US since early last month from what I've read. There was a VIN tracking thread that was no longer necessary at that point.
I just did a chat with Tesla directly, and they said they are still delivering MY's with HW3 and HW4. It may be that all production is now HW4, but it appears I will have to continue to wait a little longer until all the HW3 cars are out of inventory?

It seems a poll may be the only way to quantify that?

Polls quantify what the sample demographic is. Since many people come on line when they have issues, the sample demographic here (or anywhere else online ) is inherantly going to be flawed, making any attempt to do something like this and have actual meaningful data virtually impossible.

The only thing this thread will do is bring more discussion about Tesla build quality from people who were unhappy. If thats the goal, then have at it. There can be no objective data gathering on a subject like this on a website like this.

Reactions: kpanda17
Polls quantify what the sample demographic is. Since many people come on line when they have issues, the sample demographic here (or anywhere else online ) is inherantly going to be flawed, making any attempt to do something like this and have actual meaningful data virtually impossible.

The only thing this thread will do is bring more discussion about Tesla build quality from people who were unhappy. If thats the goal, then have at it. There can be no objective data gathering on a subject like this on a website like this.
I get that. I suspect for every unhappy owner there are many multiples of satisfied owners we never hear from, but is it 10X, 100X or what?

So what it an objective way to gauge where build quality stands today, besides the random individual anecdotes? I’ve seen owners who were very unhappy, and I’ve seen more recent YT channels that suggest build quality is (much) better now, though not perfect.

I get that. I suspect for every unhappy owner there are many multiples of satisfied owners we never hear from, but is it 10X, 100X or what?

So what it an objective way to gauge where build quality stands today, besides the random individual anecdotes? I’ve seen owners who were very unhappy, and I’ve seen more recent YT channels that suggest build quality is (much) better now, though not perfect.

There isnt one that I am aware of, and frankly its not at all relevant to an individual prospective purchaser.

What I mean is, it only matters to the specific individual, on the specific car they are picking up. An anecdote on this concept would be a company announcing layoffs, and saying "We have a company of 10,000 people and we are only laying off 5 people, so thats .05% layoffs, so this is very good", while for those 5 people, its 100% impact, thus horrible (for them).

No poll of this type means anything, because it wont matter if 99 people say "its great" but you think your car has panel gaps from heck when you pick it up, and the reverse is also true (if 99 people say its awful, but yours is great when you pick it up, those 99 peoples responses are not relevant to you).

Thus, this is nothing but a talking point thread.

I thought all the MYLR cars were only coming out of Fremont, but I am no expert.

I took delivery of a Fremont MYLR in late June, built in early June. Mine was (and I believe all are now) HW4. Build quality was vastly improved over the M3LR I bought in 2020. As much as I wanted to be SURE ahead of time that I'd get a near-perfect car, there's still too much variability on the build quality. Tesla is likely on something like 2σ level quality. Most are going to be fine/acceptable. Some will have minor things that can be fixed afterwards (still not ideal) and a few will be worthy of rejection. It's a roll of the dice, but your odds have improved with time.

Hope you get a good one!

Reactions: 455dan and Midpack
I picked mine up mid May. MYP from Freemont. Fit and finish were fine but had to take it in 3 times for repair. 2 for AC compressor replacement and 1 for an electrical issue. Car is fine now but would have preferred the car delivered mint.