Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
This is a poll on version 11 which is the most radical overhaul and reorganization of the screen and computer interface in years. It appears however to have garnered mixed if not polarized reviews. This poll is an attempt to capture people's overall assessment of this update. Please do feel free to provide comments and details about your assessment of its pluses and minuses. Hopefully Tesla is listening and some of the minuses can get trimmed out in future updates.

Reactions: K5TRX
Haven't had a chance to really spend a lot of time with this but in 15 minutes here are my yeas and nays:

Pros:

1) Navigation portion of the screen is now larger and you can gain additional Space by dropping the audio and music tabs down all the way.
2) if you use USB or other music source all the time you can put it in your frequently accessed apps package to make it more accessible. This is a big deal particularly if you have a music drive you don't have to do any menu diving you can go straight to it.
3) it appears to not only hold your place in the directory of the USB drive which it never did before it now displays thumbnail album graphics although they are downsized? Not sure why they did it that way but see cons!
4) customizability is big. I have not spent a lot of time to see just how much I can customize the interface but it's always nice to have some control over how the interface presents and its defaults.

Cons:

1) did they dive deep into some version of on sale low resolution and ultra-clunky Hobbit fonts and icons? Good grief! Aesthetically they could have certainly provided a lot more Elegance. While we're on the subject maybe that's another thing that they need to provide in terms of customizability namely themes. Perhaps you can have this Hobbit biscuit as a standard theme but something more elegant as another option?
2) still no support for any kind of stats package or software for folks who want to do a deeper dive on battery stats without buying CAN bus readers?

Reactions: BitJam and driver7
I think your answers to the poll are too specific. None of the choices really captures my feelings about V.11. To me it is a mixed bag. There are some improvements, but some negatives as well. The blind spot video is really the only thing that makes this an improvement (in my opinion), however the execution is poor. When the video is on, it overrides the homelink button. So when I turn into my driveway with the turn signal on, I cannot press the homelink button until the video goes away on the screen. I guess I could just not signal. I have also heard that the side turn signal light floods the camera at night and the blind spot video is not very helpful. I have not yet tested this.

Preliminary thoughts after about an hour of exploring...

Pros:
- dark mode
- blind spot camera with turn signals (though it's hidden behind your hand if on the steering wheel)
- the turn signal indicators on the screen are in a better position than before the update

Cons:
- speedometer font still too small and too thin and shouldn't be jammed up against the side of the screen. It was WAY better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a bolder, larger and centered. I wish when they make changes like this, they wouldn't ram it down our throats. There should be an option to center it and make it larger/bolder like before.
- they still have warning lights down the side of the screen (behind your hand while on the steering wheel). This was obviously designed by someone sitting at a desk.
- odometer and trip meters buried deeper. The cards were much better
- tire pressures buried deeper. The cards were much better
- windshield wiper controls buried deeper The cards and/or button at the bottom is much better for wiper controls
- the energy line (gray/green) is still unnecessarily thin. It was also significantly better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a few pixels thicker
- the dash cam icon disappeared from above the map. Why?? It wasn't in the way of anything. Problem is, sometimes the red light goes out and I have to pull the USB drive and re-insert it. Now I have to manually check in the controls section to see if it's working. This one really ticks me off (assuming the issue still exists - for me I have to pull the USB about once every week or two)
- you can't pin enough icons to the bottom of the screen (too much unused area that could be useful)
- heated seats buried in climate controls. Again this requires more attention off the road to access them. Guess that happens when the designers live in southern California.

Summary:
The driver interface was WAY better when I bought the car in fall 2020 (before the Xmas 2020 update). Since then, it requires more attention off what's important (the road ahead) and therefore it is less safe to drive the car (unless you have full self driving and have the luxury of time to hunt around for information while not looking at the road).

They should offer "classic" interface/settings or something like that for those who appreciate the superior engineering and design that keeps being replaced, just for the sake of changing to a fresh look.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't allow more customization as suggested by Elon about a year ago when so many people complained after the Xmas 2020 update. When it comes time to replace the car, I'd seriously consider leaving the brand over stuff like this (handcuffing you to "downgrades")

Preliminary thoughts after about an hour of exploring...

Pros:
- dark mode
- blind spot camera with turn signals (though it's hidden behind your hand if on the steering wheel)
- the turn signal indicators on the screen are in a better position than before the update

Cons:
- speedometer font still too small and too thin and shouldn't be jammed up against the side of the screen. It was WAY better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a bolder, larger and centered. I wish when they make changes like this, they wouldn't ram it down our throats. There should be an option to center it and make it larger/bolder like before.
- they still have warning lights down the side of the screen (behind your hand while on the steering wheel). This was obviously designed by someone sitting at a desk.
- windshield wiper controls buried deeper The cards and/or button at the bottom is much better for wiper controls
- the energy line (gray/green) is still unnecessarily thin. It was also significantly better pre Xmas 2020 when it was a few pixels thicker
- the dash cam icon disappeared from above the map. Why?? It wasn't in the way of anything. Problem is, sometimes the red light goes out and I have to pull the USB drive and re-insert it. Now I have to manually check in the controls section to see if it's working. This one really ticks me off (assuming the issue still exists - for me I have to pull the USB about once every week or two)
- you can't pin enough icons to the bottom of the screen (too much unused area that could be useful)
- heated seats buried in climate controls. Again this requires more attention off the road to access them. Guess that happens when the designers live in southern California.

Summary:
The driver interface was WAY better when I bought the car in fall 2020 (before the Xmas 2020 update). Since then, it requires more attention off what's important (the road ahead) and therefore it is less safe to drive the car (unless you have full self driving and have the luxury of time to hunt around for information while not looking at the road).

They should offer "classic" interface/settings or something like that for those who appreciate the superior engineering and design that keeps being replaced, just for the sake of changing to a fresh look.

I'm really disappointed that they didn't allow more customization as suggested by Elon about a year ago when so many people complained after the Xmas 2020 update. When it comes time to replace the car, I'd seriously consider leaving the brand over stuff like this (handcuffing you to "downgrades")
If you tap the arrows next to the temperature you can access quick controls that include your seat heaters.

P
I think your answers to the poll are too specific. None of the choices really captures my feelings about V.11. To me it is a mixed bag. There are some improvements, but some negatives as well. The blind spot video is really the only thing that makes this an improvement (in my opinion), however the execution is poor. When the video is on, it overrides the homelink button. So when I turn into my driveway with the turn signal on, I cannot press the homelink button until the video goes away on the screen. I guess I could just not signal. I have also heard that the side turn signal light floods the camera at night and the blind spot video is not very helpful. I have not yet tested this.
I never intended those choices to cover much, just to get the discussion started. Thanks for pitching in on that.

100% agree on these- they weren't even taking up screen space unless you asked for em with a swipe, both are now a full level deeper to get to, not a good change at all.

Haven't played with this much in 11, but I always leave on auto anyway, and pressing the end of the stalk would bring the setting up directly (though I never really needed to change it)- does it no longer do that?

You can pin dashcam to the bottom and see it there

I've got 5 there right now I think- and looks like room to spare, given the limited things you CAN pin not sure how you're using up more spots than you have?

I think I've got USB, radio, rear view cam, dashcam, and browser (which itself brings up the whole toybox menu at top of it initially if you want it)

They have an auto setting now-- too early to know how well it works, but if it does then you'd rarely need to adjust.

That said one thing you mentioned I REALLY wish I could still pin to the bottom is the defrost.

I don't love the update visuals overall- but if they'd let me pin that, and bring back the TPMS/trip cards, I'd have no real complaints.

Reactions: BitJam and Ferengii
Last year I learned to not install updates without first reading about their UI changes and bugs. I'm holding off installing V11.

My issue is driving safety: readability of key information like the speedometer and access to key controls like wipers, headlights, and defrosters when the auto features don't cut it, in a moving car, with minimal eyes off the road. (I know, voice commands occasionally help.) V11 still doesn't fix the small, low contrast text or the small map, and it takes more steps to override the auto-profile selection when the car picks wrong and starts to squish you.

Plusses: Blind spot cameras and waypoint editing, direct access to audio sources, and (I think) some larger tap targets.

I haven't had a lot of drive-time with it yet but first impressions: Overall, I like it (just a few things to get used to) but there were two things that jumped out at me that I don't like:

- The +/- controls on fan speed are gone - it's just a slider, and those are tricky to manage while also driving (the +- was hard enough sometimes)
- Audio no longer has a unified "Favorites" section, where I had FM and TuneIn stations side-by-side. Now I have to specifically switch to FM or TuneIn and then select a favorite station.

AH yeah.. as someone said.. people leave brands over crap like this. Great tech and stupid menus. This was not an "improvement". An improvement would have been to hire some UX engineers and put some thought into the menus and how people use them. This is not a desk top computer.. I should not have to take my eyes off the road to go digging through submenus to find anything of importance. Then again, I am still a big believer in analog knobs for some controls. This complex of a meaning system should be user configurable to a degree. Something as simple as "here are 4 sizes and two locations for the speed". The lack of contrast on key data is appalling and I can tell its been designed by a 20 something and not someone with glasses and over 50.

Jesus... I just tried to change the wiper setting in my car while driving. The speed setting is in the middle of the control menu surrounded by other buttons. Before you could rest your hand on the edge of the screen to stabilize it while bouncing down the road to make sure you don't miss the button, now you can't. It is also a very cluttered screen and requires taking your eyes off the road for entirely too long.

The answer isn't voice control. Cell service is spotty near me and voice control doesn't always work.

Its just crappy as can be. I still don't know how to initiate a dashcam recording(aside from the honk) That 3/8" of map real estate at the top of my screen isn't worth the loss of handy buttons.

I hate that my line-of-favorites in music is gone.

I hate that the various cards are gone.

Virtually everything is a step backwards.

Its just crappy as can be. I still don't know how to initiate a dashcam recording(aside from the honk) That 3/8" of map real estate at the top of my screen isn't worth the loss of handy buttons.

That button can be added back to the quick launch bar at the bottom as mentioned yesterday in the thread.

Really they could fix just about everything wrong with it by adding a few more things as "pinnable" to that bar by the user that aren't options right now... (one tap defrost for me personaly, but for others it might be wiper controls, or seat heaters or whatever)

That button can be added back to the quick launch bar at the bottom as mentioned yesterday in the thread.

Really they could fix just about everything wrong with it by adding a few more things as "pinnable" to that bar by the user that aren't options right now... (one tap defrost for me personaly, but for others it might be wiper controls, or seat heaters or whatever)
I am still waiting for our two cars (MYP and Plaid) and no longer have our X or S. So have not seen the last iteration with cards nor V11. But was just thinking, not sure it's a good idea or not.....but if the left most side of the screen is 'reserved' for shift control (slide up/down, whatever along the 'strip'), why not reduce that portion into 3. Top is shift control. Middle is dead space (can be smaller) to ensure no fat finger errors. And then the lower section for one touch shortcuts to anything in the UI.