Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Everything wrong with V11 update / user interface.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's more the older car. I have 2 cars, one in Beta and one in public release, and the interface/fonts/etc are all the same. There's no noticeable difference outside of the Beta visualizations.

I would hope this isn't the case since mine is a 2018 Model 3 and the screen looks significantly better, whereas the service loaner is a 2019 Model 3 and the fonts look like they were designed by Play-Skool employees, or for people with reading issues. Very overly rounded, road sign icons are all much larger, the regen/power bar thickness is much larger on the 2019, etc. Basically it looks like it was designed for children just learning to read and know their shapes.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
For radio, this requires you to tune to the station first. I moved across the country last year and still have two stations I can’t get rid of unless I drive my car back to California. Absolutely insane.
Good to know. I'm lucky my area FM dial is crammed with stations (it is hard to find any spot for our Chromecast FM transmitter to broadcast at.) So the unwanted stations were broadcasting, weakly or in 2 cases, strongly, local stations.

Since V11 update, the Cancel button doesnt seem to work, no matter how quickly I touch the Cancel icon. Homelink always opens the garage door. Help
If you have it set to automatically open and or close your garage door upon arrival or departure if you toggle that setting off that's one workaround. If you have to push the button anyway might as well just manually touch it when you approach your garage or gate, etc.

Lol my wife just texted me about how the new UI for Homelink changed again.

She's like "Why do they keep changing the garage door interface!!! It used to work so well and now it's moved and doesn't work!!!"

I wonder if Tesla replaced their original UI/UX humans with AI. Because it's just getting worse and worse.

Image: theloudestlion / Midjourney
b7720e6e7b8c94f10be6f234718632d1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Spinkick
I would hope this isn't the case since mine is a 2018 Model 3 and the screen looks significantly better, whereas the service loaner is a 2019 Model 3 and the fonts look like they were designed by Play-Skool employees, or for people with reading issues. Very overly rounded, road sign icons are all much larger, the regen/power bar thickness is much larger on the 2019, etc. Basically it looks like it was designed for children just learning to read and know their shapes.
That's why I didn't mess with the font size. I like the display for current charge level and setting to % display.

For myself, I really don't care, in the least, what the aesthetics are like. It could be in a gothic calligraphy font with an illuminated text motif that looked awesome. However, real question I have is: is the Play-Skool version easier to actually use, aka "better"? Or was this another change-for-sake-of-change thing?

For myself, I really don't care, in the least, what the aesthetics are like. It could be in a gothic calligraphy font with an illuminated text motif that looked awesome. However, real question I have is: is the Play-Skool version easier to actually use, aka "better"? Or was this another change-for-sake-of-change thing?
The don't look at all play skool, just slightly larger (maybe 5%), slight bolder (maybe 2-3 %) but about 150% more readable.

I'm 57, been wearing perscription glasses (fancy readers) since I was 44. I still need to use glasses (always do, everywhere), but the change means I can glance quickly and see what I need to see, no extra effort to align and focus to read the SOC, for example. I bet I'm saving up to half a second for some kinds of glances for information that I used to have to hunt a bit for (everything along the top border, for one example). That's a huge safety improvement.

I think the new larger font just crossed a size threshold of the smallest text that's safe to use for the largest group of users possible (fat part of the bell curve).

I'd wager that the 2 groups that still might complain are in the tail ends of the curve, young and perfect eyesight (It's too big and goofy looking!!!) or very advanced in age and/or more compromised eyesight (it's still too small, what's wrong with everyone!!!).

The young / good vision end of that curve still has an option: don't choose the larger text size. I'd argue there needs to be one more larger (or otherwise re-designed) option for a group that uses Accessibility features of their phones, for example (could include higher contrast color schemes and better defined clickable features, like many Accessibility options).

Maybe there's actually one step in font size needed before full Accessibility settings, but given how long anything like this takes for Tesla, that's asking a lot.

I am trying out the larger font now. It does not seem to increase the size of the speedometer though (or I can't tell), which is kinda an odd choice. I guess they though it was big enough, but I would like it a bit larger. Honestly I am glad this is an option now, but I suspect I will change it back to regular after giving it a go for a bit.

I sold my X in 2021 because the service in Maine consisted of driving 160 miles(or having the car put on a flatbed in my case).

As of Saturday, I'll be back, into a MIT 4680 Y.

And this thread.... man, have any of you driven an ID4?

I have the "better' version of their software, and well.... The CEO of VW lost his job over it. It's bad. They should have also ran the entire dev team out the door too.....

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm sure v11 is worlds better than what I'm trading in

• Funny
Reactions: Msjulie
I sold my X in 2021 because the service in Maine consisted of driving 160 miles(or having the car put on a flatbed in my case).

As of Saturday, I'll be back, into a MIT 4680 Y.

I have the "better' version of their software, and well.... The CEO of VW lost his job over it. It's bad. They should have also ran the entire dev team out the door too.....

Anyway, TL;DR, I'm sure v11 is worlds better than what I'm trading in
That is not exactly the point of the volumes of complains. For sure V11 (especially in recent versions) is far better than other infotainment systems (especially VW). The points really are:

1) V11 when introduced was a massive downgrade compared to V9 and V10 and caused enormous usability regressions compared to those, and it took a very long time to address those pain points through updates. Being better than the competition does not do much to blunt the bitterness from your car being materially far worse than it was a month ago (and no communication from Tesla if they will be fixing ANY of it or even if they hear the complaints). Calling such a thing a Holiday Update really is the icing on the cake though :)

2) much of the complaints about V11 (and any Tesla software in general) stem from the fact that Tesla shoves some stuff onto the screen that in a sane world would be required to be on manual controls so some regressions in usability directly impact operation of the car while driving. It raises the bar substantially for how well the interface has to be designed and Tesla does not have a consistent record here for sure, and has an unfortunate tendency to throw out great UI designs and ideas just because they are a few years old.

Thankfully the do seem to have started to listen to feedback (or have just started to do better (or any) internal usability testing) and especially for the last 6 months or so there have been tones of improvements really centered on using the car and not useless fluff. I hope it lasts.

The don't look at all play skool, just slightly larger (maybe 5%), slight bolder (maybe 2-3 %) but about 150% more readable.

I'm 57, been wearing perscription glasses (fancy readers) since I was 44. I still need to use glasses (always do, everywhere), but the change means I can glance quickly and see what I need to see, no extra effort to align and focus to read the SOC, for example. I bet I'm saving up to half a second for some kinds of glances for information that I used to have to hunt a bit for (everything along the top border, for one example). That's a huge safety improvement.

I think the new larger font just crossed a size threshold of the smallest text that's safe to use for the largest group of users possible (fat part of the bell curve).

I'd wager that the 2 groups that still might complain are in the tail ends of the curve, young and perfect eyesight (It's too big and goofy looking!!!) or very advanced in age and/or more compromised eyesight (it's still too small, what's wrong with everyone!!!).

The young / good vision end of that curve still has an option: don't choose the larger text size. I'd argue there needs to be one more larger (or otherwise re-designed) option for a group that uses Accessibility features of their phones, for example (could include higher contrast color schemes and better defined clickable features, like many Accessibility options).

Maybe there's actually one step in font size needed before full Accessibility settings, but given how long anything like this takes for Tesla, that's asking a lot.

I'm considerably closer to your age than you might expect, and also occasionally need glasses. So this wasn't really a bell curve situation. And as I noted it wasn't a font _size_ issue but rather the shape of the lettering. It's possible that the kerning also changed, though at this point I don't remember since it's been so long.

If any of this was based on actual visibility or usability, Tesla would use any of the exceptionally well done HIGs (human interface guides) in existence, which have been produced after decades of study and testing. But they don't, and instead just prefer random changes for the sake of random changes. It seems entirely possible that this change was actually picked up accidentally from someone's working branch that got merged with improper settings and was released without quality control. It's certainly something that has happened in the past, so 🤷‍♂️

One in a small number of EVs I haven't driven, actually. But I bet the auto wipers actually auto wipe, and there are buttons. Though they are the abhorrent capacitive ones, they at least exist. I also bet I can move the vents with my hands and not need a touch interface to do that, or a motor system that has a spotty track record.

I'm considerably closer to your age than you might expect, and also occasionally need glasses. So this wasn't really a bell curve situation. And as I noted it wasn't a font _size_ issue but rather the shape of the lettering. It's possible that the kerning also changed, though at this point I don't remember since it's been so long.

If any of this was based on actual visibility or usability, Tesla would use any of the exceptionally well done HIGs (human interface guides) in existence, which have been produced after decades of study and testing. But they don't, and instead just prefer random changes for the sake of random changes. It seems entirely possible that this change was actually picked up accidentally from someone's working branch that got merged with improper settings and was released without quality control. It's certainly something that has happened in the past, so 🤷‍♂️

One in a small number of EVs I haven't driven, actually. But I bet the auto wipers actually auto wipe, and there are buttons. Though they are the abhorrent capacitive ones, they at least exist. I also bet I can move the vents with my hands and not need a touch interface to do that, or a motor system that has a spotty track record.
but the screen is so laggy that when you attempt to turn on the vents, it registers 10 touches instead of 1, so the screen locks you out for 5 seconds for "safety" and tells you to focus on driving, but you can't because you can't see, because your windows are foggy, and you can't ventilate the cabin because.....

you get the point.

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king."

Saying it's better than a system that got someone fired is hardly praise.
never claimed it was praise, per se, but imagine having a crappy interface AND a terrible afterthought of a charging network, lol

ETA: AND you have to check the phone app to see the status/availability of your next charging stop, because the company that owns both is so silo'd, that functionality doesn't exist in the car. and when the app says "2 of 8 available", they're not telling you that the other 6 aren't occupied, they're broken.

but I digress.....the UI is also canine excrement. ;)

Last edited:
but the screen is so laggy that when you attempt to turn on the vents, it registers 10 touches instead of 1, so the screen locks you out for 5 seconds for "safety" and tells you to focus on driving, but you can't because you can't see, because your windows are foggy, and you can't ventilate the cabin because.....

you get the point.

You could always just press the icon the one time and wait. 🤷‍♂️