Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Stock Ownership | Car Ownership (revised)

Do you own a Tesla vehicle? Do you own TSLA shares? Both? Neither?

• Own/reserved Tesla car; own TSLA shares/options

Votes: 163 61.5%
  • Own/reserved Tesla car; no investment

Votes: 36 13.6%
  • No Tesla vehicle, but own TSLA shares/options

Votes: 56 21.1%
  • Neither Tesla vehicle nor TSLA shares/options

Votes: 10 3.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reserved in November 2012, bought stock in January 2013 and again in February - wish I'd continued for a few more months, or gone bigger like @Al Sherman :wink:, but my car arrived in March and distracted me...

I sold small positions I'd inherited in BP and Chevron to make the investment - seemed appropriate. My car just had its first birthday, I will be long for a while, and am considering a Model X reservation.

What about you, @Robert.Boston?

What about you, @Robert.Boston?
I bought 1,000 shares at $30.50 in late 2011, and my Model S was delivered a year later. I've done some profit-taking and buying on dips since, plus some amount of options plays, so I'm solidly at 10x returns on this investment (in the stock market, that is). All in my IRA. Nice addition to the retirement nest egg.

Invested far less than I should have given the enormous amount of cash I was sitting on at the time (the underinvestment was for stupid reasons -- I wasn't used to having that mush investable cash -- I'm trying to avoid repeating that mistake), and I made ultra-conservative options trades, but I've still got roughly half a million dollars in paper gains. Good year's work.

Car hasn't paid for itself in any sense (it's a depreciating asset), but as a point of curiosity, the electricity usage is roughly covered by the savings from switching the house to LEDs. And not having to go to the gas station is *priceless*, as is the instant heat. I am probably the first person who's managed to get *stuck* on a quarter-inch of ice in a Model S (I'll try turning TC off next time), and I know I've gotten the worst reported mileage for a Model S on this forum, and I had to knock gunk out of the wheelwells with a stick again today, and I've been quite unhappy with the competence of the company's sales, legal, and software development staff... but I'd buy the car again in a heartbeat. There is simply no competitor to the Model S... and that's quite an advantage for the stock.

... I've still got roughly half a million dollars in paper gains. Good year's work.

Car hasn't paid for itself in any sense (it's a depreciating asset)....
While I take your point, that the car and the stock are separate assets (one depreciating, one appreciating), the way I think about it is that I never would have invested in TSLA if I hadn't learned about the car in my search to replace my aging Audi. Therefore in the "but for" world where I don't have a Model S, I also don't have TSLA stock. So in this "but for" world, I'm both driving a worse car and I'm poorer.

As of 3/13 it looks like over 80% of people who bought the car bought the stock. Even knowing this forum is a fan club, I find that remarkable. Would it be reasonable to imagine that over the next 3 years, until Model E comes out, that those buying a Model S or X would buy stock at, say, even a 50% conversion rate. After all it would Model S and X buyers would be a savvy, passionate, and relatively affluent group. And if so, wouldn't it be reasonable to imagine these are more likely to be committed longs than in a typical stock? I'd like to imagine an ever decreasing float of tradable shares what with the # held by insiders and the number held by zealous Tesla and TSLA owners. It would seem this helps create scarcity, which helps hold price floors and increase gains. Just not sure if it can be quantified. However, over the next three years, these numbers will not be insignificant.

While I take your point, that the car and the stock are separate assets (one depreciating, one appreciating), the way I think about it is that I never would have invested in TSLA if I hadn't learned about the car in my search to replace my aging Audi. Therefore in the "but for" world where I don't have a Model S, I also don't have TSLA stock. So in this "but for" world, I'm both driving a worse car and I'm poorer.

I own stock and a 2012 S85 delivered to my home on 12/21/2012. Posted 220 positive comments describing the joy of owning the car of the future.
Tesla staff and service was outstanding in repairing small problems that came up. That was until mid-August when a major problem occurred. The front
bumper became dislodged when backing out of a space at a restaurant. I was initially advised by Tesla service that it was my fault and I would have to
pay approximately $1,500 to have a new bumper installed and painted. The reason being that I had parked over a concrete car stop. I objected and did
some research for this problem. It appears that Tesla suspension software was causing the car to settle after being parked and when backing up the front
bumper dislodged. My Tesla bumper was reattached and a few weeks later it happened again. Upon further research I learned that this was a common
complaint by owners and in 2014 Tesla corrected the software glitch. Tesla service then agreed to supply me with a new bumper as a gesture of goodwill
($960.00). When I requested that they absorb the complete cost of repair, because I was not at fault, service Tech's would no longer accept my emails
or telephone calls and left me high and dry. In my final contact via email to resolve the repair, I offered to pay part of the paint and installation cost but
service reps did not respond. Since then I have noticed that Tesla has remotely upgraded my suspension software so that the front bumper automatically raises
to highest level when parking. I have surfed numerous chat rooms and found there are a tsunami of customer complaints that are being ignored by Tesla
service. I am a long time business owner (50yrs) and have learned by experience that sometimes, the first loss is the best loss. It appears that Tesla has
closed the door on me, so as soon as I have my S85 repaired, I will sell my stock and my "dream car of the future". Caveat Emptor

- - - Updated - - -

I disagree with you. My experience will show that ultimately you will be richer than poorer. Read my thread further down for a full explantion
of my comment. If Tesla continues to ignore customer complaints the road to disaster is not far ahead.

As my tag line says, I do not own a Tesla yet. I plan to buy a Tesla next year as long as some disaster does not prevent it. I currently do not own stock but I have bought and sold it on many occasions. I plan to buy again in the next few days during the dip. I counted that as owning stock.