Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Trunk rubber gasket - Who should it look, as designed?

Should the gasket, by design, be tucked behind the bumper cover?

• Yes, by design it should, even though others are "pilling the flange" to make thier's seat better

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No, it should ride over the top of the bumper cover, and if it's not, pull the flange

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I have no idea, but happy to guess....

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Moderator note: Fixed a typo in text and thread title "truck" -> "trunk".

Hello all,

I'm trying to determine what the proper, by Tesla design, large perimeter trunk gasket should look like, when installed properly. Specifically, if the outer flange is supposed to be tucked behind the bumper cover or riding outside and on top of the bumper cover. I've attached pictures of mine, as delivered in June 2019. My guess is the flange is supposed to be tucked, for a clean look. The hump I have is due to some other issue with the gasket.

Please post pictures of yours and offer evidence to support your view on this.

tr2.jpg
tr1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the proper nomenclature is “Trunk Gasket”. You have “Truck” gasket in BOTH your improperly worded Thread Title as well as your thread text.

P.S. in no way should the word “Truck” be associated with a Tesla!!! :D Just sayin’. Carry on!:)

Ski

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I think the proper nomenclature is “Trunk Gasket”. You have “Truck” gasket in BOTH your improperly worded Thread Title as well as your thread text.

P.S. in no way should the word “Truck” be associated with a Tesla!!! :D Just sayin’. Carry on!:)

Ski

Damn autocorrect... Thanks for pointing that out; unfortunately I can't edit the post. Perhaps a mod can make the fix? So, do you have any input, re the intended request?

So, in favor of gasket flange out:
• why would there be a gasket flange if it wasn't meant to cover the plastic trim of the bumper? Is there any other gasket flange tucked in on the car?
• quite a few people have complained of gaps between gasket and bumper in the corners, would be covered by flange
• the bumper cover edge isn't even a straight line, it's irregular; the flange would hide that

In favor of gasket flange in:
• that's the way Tesla installed it!

A few pics of my gasket flange out, and the irregular plastic edge of the bumper cover it hides:
IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg

So, in favor of gasket flange out:
• why would there be a gasket flange if it wasn't meant to cover the plastic trim of the bumper? Is there any other gasket flange tucked in on the car?
• quite a few people have complained of gaps between gasket and bumper in the corners, would be covered by flange
• the bumper cover edge isn't even a straight line, it's irregular; the flange would hide that

In favor of gasket flange in:
• that's the way Tesla installed it!

A few pics of my gasket flange out, and the irregular plastic edge of the bumper cover it hides:
View attachment 445897 View attachment 445898 View attachment 445899

Well, I would agree the flange out does cover a lot of sins your car has, as pictured (e.g., gaps, irregular bumper edges, etc.), so that would seem like the best alternative for you. I still would like to know what Tesla engineers envisioned (even if different than how Tesla production workers/robots did the "tucked" installation).

For me, I have no gaps or irregular bumper cover edges, and in fact the "tucked" looks very clean. The "humping" issue down the middle seems to stem from a stiff body part sticking up. :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: Kleenerth3
I think the KenC final pick nails it for me, it's supposed to be in! The return flange at the top of the bumper piece and it's slope angle matches the small indenture above what you're calling the cover flange. The bumper fits perfectly into the indent and looks really clean on my 3, IMHO of course! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
So, another "tucked" with no humps, gaps, or jagged bumper edges. :D That seals it for me, thanks! I have since fixed my hump without pulling the flange out. The problem seemed to be a triangular clip "down under" between the bumper skin and sheet metal. o_O

Can you describe the process to fix the hump? I have an identical hump in my model 3 june 2019 build and I would like to fix it. Thanks.