Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will Tesla ever offer a key fob for the Model 3?

When will Tesla offer a key fob for the Model 3?

• Never

Votes: 135 75.8%

Votes: 19 10.7%

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • 2020 and beyond

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps the next generation of phones will be designed and tested to work reliably as car opening devices? A fair number of Tesla owners work for the companies that design them.

It’s not a solution that addresses a new owner with a older phone, and a fob may well be needed to fill the gap, but the phone-as-key is becoming an increasing requirement and eventually (version 3?) these must-haves get addressed and fixed. It may well be the solution requires updates to both the car and the device.

Last edited:
A new glitch became apparent when I noticed that sometimes if I exit the car and walk out of Bluetooth range, then back right away, it won't recognize the phone as the key. Instead, it asks for the keycard when I try to open the door, even though I was just driving it seconds earlier, but happened to walk out of Bluetooth range. The Bluetooth seems to have a hard time re-connecting with the car around the fringes of it's range. This is an issue for me because the door to my house happens to be almost the exact distance from where my car is parked for the Bluetooth connection to drop. This means if forget something in my car and have to go back to get it, a lot of times it won't unlock.

I appreciate this and I took this quote taken from your post about android/Tasker. What you quoted above happens frequently to me. iPhone user.

Perhaps the next generation of phones will be designed and tested to work reliably as car opening devices? A fair number of Tesla owners work for the companies that design them.

It’s not a solution that addresses a new owner with a older phone, and a fob may well be needed to fill the gap, but the phone-as-key is becoming an increasing requirement and eventually (version 3?) these must-haves get addressed and fixed. It may well be the solution requires updates to both the car and the device.

I'm hoping that more engineers that work for Google, Apple, and other tech companies purchase the Model 3 and have to deal with this problem firsthand. How better to get it fixed than to annoy those in a position to actually do something about it? We can complain all we want, but maybe what it takes is some tech executive getting locked out of their car to draw more attention to the problem.