Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will Tesla ever offer a key fob for the Model 3?

When will Tesla offer a key fob for the Model 3?

• Never

Votes: 135 75.8%

Votes: 19 10.7%

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • 2020 and beyond

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? One of these works all of the time? Which one?

I'm sure there is a forum link with complaints no matter which one you pick.
Well absolutes rarely exist. But there's a 28 page thread on phone key problems with only a few thousand cars on the road. There is no such thread for fob problems on the S and X, and there are vastly more of them on the road. Less reliable = not better.

I can’t tell if half of you people complaining and complaining about this issue are actually trolls interested in discrediting Tesla. Let me make this clear. Not everyone is having issues with the phone as a key. In fact I bet MOST have not had any issues with the phone as a key.

I have never...I repeat NEVER had an issue with the phone as a key. Not once. Not a single time. Nope, I have never...not ever. Not today. Not last Friday. Not five minutes ago. Not fifteen minutes ago. Not here. Not there. Not anywhere. Not in a house. Not with a mouse. No, Sam I am, I have NEVER had problems with phone as a key with my Model 3
Do you get it? Enough already. Let this topic die.

Does the key card enable keyless entry? No.

Can you open a passenger side door with the key card without first walking to the driver's side B pillar? No.

Can you open the trunk or disconnect the charge connector with the key card without first walking to the driver's side B pillar? No.

Can you unlock the frunk at all with the key card (other than getting in the car and using the touchscreen)? No.

If there was any other vehicle for sale by any other car company that was marketed as having keyless entry, but it turned out that the keyless entry flat-out didn't work reliably for the majority of owners and there was no public commitment from the company to make it right for their customers, would anyone in their right mind say, "No big deal! That's why they give you a physical key as a backup.!? No.

The key card is fine as an emergency backup, but it's a s***ty alternative to an actual keyless-entry fob for daily use. And since the phone key doesn't work reliably for most owners, the key card has become the de facto primary key for many owners. And that's unacceptable.

I can’t tell if half of you people complaining and complaining about this issue are actually trolls interested in discrediting Tesla. Let me make this clear. Not everyone is having issues with the phone as a key. In fact I bet MOST have not had any issues with the phone as a key.

I have never...I repeat NEVER had an issue with the phone as a key. Not once. Not a single time. Nope, I have never...not ever. Not today. Not last Friday. Not five minutes ago. Not fifteen minutes ago. Not here. Not there. Not anywhere. Not in a house. Not with a mouse. No, Sam I am, I have NEVER had problems with phone as a key with my Model 3
I'm glad someone's key phone is working well. You might want to go here for a little more information before tossing the "troll" word around, though:
Phone as Key Issues
Robin

Yeah that must be it. Tesla never does anything wrong so any criticism is just from trolls. Like that troll who said they put too many robots in the factory. Or the troll who said the gullwing doors on the X were a big mistake.

My post on this got buried and at the risk of getting called out for spamming

I'm glad it's working for you, but I can assure you that for those of us where it is not working smoothly, it's a real issue. What phone do you have? What version OS? Where do you carry it as you approach the car? Pants pocket, jacket pocket, purse/briefcase, in your hand? Do you usually start up the app before getting to your car? Are you going to the driver's door first? Trunk? Another door? Do you walk toward it from the front/side/rear? These are all variables that will affect how successful the Bluetooth Low Energy radio connects between phone and car, and therefore whether or not the phone gets recognized as the key. If there's something I can do to be as successful as you in having the car recognize the phone every time (short of getting an iPhone), I'm willing to try it to avoid having to install a workaround on my phone.

I'm glad someone's key phone is working well. You might want to go here for a little more information before tossing the "troll" word around, though:
Phone as Key Issues
Robin

As I've stated over and over. Most of the people with problems either don't have a semi-quality phone or they don't know how Bluetooth works.
Some people in that thread have sub-par phones that will only Bluetooth to one device at a time.... In other words....if they have bluetoothed their headphones....their car can't Bluetooth at the same time.
There are sooooo many NON-Tesla issues on that thread.

There are those in that thread that have purchased a beautiful metal/tin-foil reflective case for their sub-par phones where the case itself is partially blocking Bluetooth.

There are those who are trying to Bluetooth through their kryptonite laden purses that also block Bluetooth AND/OR...there are some people who have sub-par phones where Bluetooth fails to work properly if their phones battery is under 20%.

There are tons of NON-Tesla related problems over there.

Is it Tesla's responsibility to teach folks how to use their phones and the app?

Let me say this with all honesty.....if my parents bought a model 3....they would be so frustrated with having to use their smartphones to open and lock the car. They don't even know how to take a picture with their phones and are perfectly satisfied with not knowing.

Last edited:
Just so you're aware, at the end of "Green Eggs and Ham", he admits to Sam-I-Am that he really does like green eggs and ham, and he would have them anywhere. So I guess this means that eventually you're going to come back to this thread and say that all of a sudden, you can't use your phone to unlock your car anymore, and it happens all the time.

As I've stated over and over. Most of the people with problems either don't have a semi-quality phone or they don't know how Bluetooth works.
Some people in that thread have sub-par phones that will only Bluetooth to one device at a time.... In other words....if they have bluetoothed their headphones....their car can't Bluetooth at the same time.

There are those in that thread that have purchased a beautiful metal/tin-foil reflective case for their sub-par phones where the case itself is partially blocking Bluetooth.

There are those who are trying to Bluetooth through their kryptonite laden purses that also block Bluetooth AND/OR...there are some people who have sub-par phones where Bluetooth fails to work properly if their phones battery is under 20%.

Is it Tesla's responsibility to teach folks how to use their phones and the app?

Let me say this with all honesty.....if my parents bought a model 3....they would be so frustrated with having to use their smartphones to open and lock the car. They don't even know how to take a picture with their phones and are perfectly satisfied with not knowing.

I have a Google Pixel with this plastic case that barely covers the phone's side edges and actually completely exposes the top and bottom edges. If there's any phone that Tesla should be able to get the car working with 100% of the time, it should be a flagship phone like this--less than 1.5 years old running pure, completely up-to-date Android. Yet it doesn't and I know how to use my phone.

I have an iPhone seven and it is NOT reliable in unlocking my Model 3. Further, as many have said, even when it is working, one has to pull out one's phone and go through multiple steps to unlock the frunk. This is an unfavorable contrast to my model S fob, which can unlock the frunk, trunk or doors without removing it from my pocket.

Tesla, please let those of us who prefer a functional fob to buy one!

I have an iPhone seven and it is NOT reliable in unlocking my Model 3. Further, as many have said, even when it is working, one has to pull out one's phone and go through multiple steps to unlock the frunk. This is an unfavorable contrast to my model S fob, which can unlock the frunk, trunk or doors without removing it from my pocket.

Tesla, please let those of us who prefer a functional fob to buy one!

As many have also mentioned in this thread that when they simply walk by their Model 3 its opening and unlocking itself. Looks like a trip to the Tesla store for you....to find out why your iPhone is different than the many who aren't having an issue.

That's R&D as well as another vendor and more parts for a Fob. $1K option?

No thanks on my end.

Last edited:
I have a Google Pixel with this plastic case that barely covers the phone's side edges and actually completely exposes the top and bottom edges. If there's any phone that Tesla should be able to get the car working with 100% of the time, it should be a flagship phone like this--less than 1.5 years old running pure, completely up-to-date Android. Yet it doesn't and I know how to use my phone.

Looks like a visit to the Tesla store to find out why your phone is different than the thousands out there who aren't having issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: SDKoala
Well absolutes rarely exist. But there's a 28 page thread on phone key problems with only a few thousand cars on the road. There is no such thread for fob problems on the S and X, and there are vastly more of them on the road. Less reliable = not better.
...and on those 28 pages how many individuals actually are complaining and how many posts are the same few restating their position? We get it...there are some people that aren't going to like the phone key, but it is not by any stretch a majority, or even a lot, or even many. It's a few, same as a few individuals that don't like the center screen or rear seats or the wiper position or the auto pilot or the...fill in the gap.

Dan

Once again conjecture like the 16 yr old daughter post you and I had earlier. I do not fall under any of the things you mentioned above. But you possibly bring up some points to help others

As far as sub-par phones. I agree with that but Tesla should have not assumed we all own the same kind of phones.

You do notice also that there are not that many third party apps with regarding music. Slacker sucks and I have been bluetoothing pandora since day one with out any interruptions or that stupid loading error u get with slacker. I have not posted anything about that problem until now. And this is the last post regarding slacker for me.

I have been trying to adapt with phone key thing for days. Still not working. I have not even casted a vote under this thread because I want resolve to the phone key issue.

Oh model x/s owners all own the same key fob!

And Krugerrand keep it to yourself the key card thing does not meet my needs.

Last edited: