Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
good morning everybody I’m just after a little advice. I purchased my Tesla X 75D a month ago and the range has been quite disappointing. I’ll give you an example yesterday I travelled 103 miles. My charge was 100% when I got back to the end of my journey I was down to 17% which would give me a total drive range of probably 120 miles. Surely this isn’t right or maybe it is and I’ve misunderstood the research I did.

Range is dependent on several things. One big factor is weather. What was the outside temperature? Cold temps use more power, but then using the heat and other warming devices eat into it. Then there is speed. I get better range around town than on the motor way at high speeds where you get little to no regen braking. You don't list the year of the model X, but I assume it is at least a 2018 or older, and the battery could be 7-10% degraded. Many factors go into it. Including your driving.

There are a few things you can set. Set the driving from Normal to Chill mode, use seat warmers instead of heat, set to Range mode (although I am not sure I see much difference), and drive conservatively.

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
Speed is a big factor rating are determined at what every speed they use in England. Here in the US, the highway mileage rating cycle has a 60 mpg max.

Also, the 75X has a small battery for a big heavy vehicle. On its best day (spring weather, minimal heat/AC, no wind, flat ground, lower in-town speeds), mine would go about 140 miles before I felt the need to charge.

This time of year you might try preheating while it is attached to the charger before you drive and see the impact that has on your range.

MX 75D has ideal condition range around 200 miles. 60% actual range in extreme weather conditions is actually not bad.
As others said above, your range depends on actually battery pack capacity, weather conditions, driving conditions …

It's weather and driving habits (acceleration and speed). I discovered this on a road trip. I can't remember what it's called but there's a view for kwh that shows the recommended energy to maximize range in real-time. For maximizing range, letting autopilot drive was the best way.

As others mentioned, the cold kills your battery like 30-40% more as well. I've heard ICE vehicles are similar in the cold.

Easy fix to improve range.
1) Inflate your tires to 45psi cold. I have the 20s, and I've been driving on my X like this for months, they reach 49psi on warm days. If you have 22s, you could consider selling those and getting 20s for a small improvement like maybe 10% range. Tires affect range too.
2) On road trips, drive 65mph instead of 80mph. This will be a MASSIVE improvement in range, and safer for you and your family. Around town, drive any speed you want and floor it constantly, like I do, you'll be refilling the charge every night anyway (I hope).
I wouldn't bother with keeping the cabin colder, I think using the heat is fine. Focus on tire pressure and car speed instead.

good morning everybody I’m just after a little advice. I purchased my Tesla X 75D a month ago and the range has been quite disappointing. I’ll give you an example yesterday I travelled 103 miles. My charge was 100% when I got back to the end of my journey I was down to 17% which would give me a total drive range of probably 120 miles. Surely this isn’t right or maybe it is and I’ve misunderstood the research I did.

Everybody else has made good points. Speed and outside temp are your biggest killers. And, just in case you are unaware you should not charge to 100% unless you are planning on going on a trip and need max range. You should generally have the battery charged for daily activities between 20-90%.

Others here have mentioned normal factors that can greatly effect range. All of these factors greatly effect ICE range as well but since there are fueling stations everywhere you folks don't notice as much when they're pulling over twice as often to gas up.

You didn't mention what your battery degradation currently is. i.e. what is your rated range at 100% charge (not Ideal range)? You can also calculate this at your current state of charge by taking noting your current state of charge (SOC), switching the settings to display range will give you miles or current range rated range. Then maximum rated range will = current rated range / SOC / 100.

Maybe you have significant degradation but you won't know till you either charge to 100% and then look at rated range by switching the display settings OR doing the above calculation if you're not going to charge to 100% to check.

The other thing to check is wheel alignment. Misalignment can reduce range dramatically.

Cold does have a big impact, but not as big as the OP is reporting. My P85D on my way to work with no winds at 70F will average maybe 290 wh/mile but when it's 32F out, that will climb to 315 wh / mile.

Reactions: KentuckyX
Thanks for all your really helpful tips. Just to kind of answer a few questions I have a 2018 model I was travelling at 75 mph the outside temperature was 8°. Is it okay to overinflate your tires these days?

Others here have mentioned normal factors that can greatly effect range. All of these factors greatly effect ICE range as well but since there are fueling stations everywhere you folks don't notice as much when they're pulling over twice as often to gas up.

You didn't mention what your battery degradation currently is. i.e. what is your rated range at 100% charge (not Ideal range)? You can also calculate this at your current state of charge by taking noting your current state of charge (SOC), switching the settings to display range will give you miles or current range rated range. Then maximum rated range will = current rated range / SOC / 100.

Maybe you have significant degradation but you won't know till you either charge to 100% and then look at rated range by switching the display settings OR doing the above calculation if you're not going to charge to 100% to check.

The other thing to check is wheel alignment. Misalignment can reduce range dramatically.

Cold does have a big impact, but not as big as the OP is reporting. My P85D on my way to work with no winds at 70F will average maybe 290 wh/mile but when it's 32F out, that will climb to 315 wh / mile.
So my range is 58 miles on 25% charge. But there is no way I would get 232 miles on 100% charge if that’s what that meant to be?

So my range is 58 miles on 25% charge. But there is no way I would get 232 miles on 100% charge if that’s what that meant to be?

What was your wh / mile on the trip in question? Rated wh/mile for the x75d is 305 wh/mile.

If everything is OK, then you should be able to get that st 70 mph in 70F Temps in flat level ground with no winds.

Your battery us is only showing 6 miles of degradation assuming your looking at rated and not ideal range.

232 miles is what they achieved on a dynamometer in a lab running the testing schedule. You can find information on the US test schedules here. Pay attention to the speeds and see if this is how you drive. Most people drive considerably above 60 mph on the highway.

If you're parking it outside in the cold and letting it cold-soak overnight, that's different from just driving in the cold. I would expect consumption to *double* from a 70f day under those circumstances. Pre-heating makes a big difference even more so with a smaller battery

We’ve all probably beat this thread up with the obvious, so I might as well add a couple additional things that go without saying…terrain is a huge factor (hills), rain, and wind. I have a website called “Windy” in my favorites on my browser and always take a peek at it before I start a roadtrip. On a recent trip, I was driving into the teeth of the wind coming home on a 300 mile trip with temps in the low 30s and my average wh/mi was 450. Ouch.