Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping Noise - Front Wheel Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine does too. It's 22 S longrange.
Anyone solved?
I have the 19" OEM wheels (used for all season/winter use) and the 21" Summer Tires. Very minimal popping/cracking on the 19's, but when I switched over to the 21's last week the sounds are much worse. One attentive passenger was worried I hit something when backing out of a parking spot it is so loud.

I also hear a popping noise when backing up sometimes, specially when going up a high and inclined side walk and also turning left at the same time to enter a parking lot of a business that I usually go. It sounds like there is something popping under my feet.

I also hear a popping noise when backing up sometimes, specially when going up a high and inclined side walk and also turning left at the same time to enter a parking lot of a business that I usually go. It sounds like there is something popping under my feet.

My popping noise (just a single pop) was from wear in my lower aft control arm. It was actually moving in the inner mount when the vehicle shifted, causing a pop. I replaced the control arm and the bolt, and the pop went away.

Reactions: weleckid
My popping noise (just a single pop) was from wear in my lower aft control arm. It was actually moving in the inner mount when the vehicle shifted, causing a pop. I replaced the control arm and the bolt, and the pop went away.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I forgot to mention that mine is a M3 and it is a little over 1000 miles. That being said I don't think that would be the problem because the car is fairly new.

I have the same exact pop but it's been since they replaced the gearbox assembly on my Plaid. The SC replicated the sound/feel and said they think it is because the tires are so large and any surface variant (such as an incline or white paint for parking) causes the tires to slip. They said this is the case with all high-performance cars. They told me to "think about it" for the next 3 days and take it back on Jan 3rd for another evaluation. This is my 5th trip to the SC for this Plaid. I'm irritated, frustrated and if this is going to be an ongoing issue, I don't want the car. Mileage is just over 2K
what ever happened? I took my car in for service. when I got there they said oh yeah we know about this but there is nothing we can do so go home. great service

what ever happened? I took my car in for service. when I got there they said oh yeah we know about this but there is nothing we can do so go home. great service
Same here. The SC told me it’s normal on 21s and to go pound sand 🙄 just like a few here have noticed the pop is so loud and noticeable that it feels like you’re running over a sizeable stone with your front tires when backing up and turning steering wheel. Every passenger can hear and feel it.

Reactions: weleckid
I took delivery of my 23 plaid after Thanksgiving and was just coming here to ask about this.

I get the noise when I back out or pull into driveways or parking spots with the yoke cranked pretty far. I wouldn't so much say the sound is a pop but the sensation/ feeling in the yoke is.

To me it seems like in certain conditions the tires instead of rolling along a path end up slipping/jumping/sliding across the asphalt which results in a physical jump/bump sensation in the car and yoke and an accompanying similar pop/ bump sound.

So this is considered “normal” at least with 21s?

I have the same issue.

I scheduled a service appointment and Tesla cancelled it.
They told me that this is normal for the vehicles with the 21" Arachnids.
It is caused by the differences in toe when the steering is at the extremes.
Obviously, this is not what I want to hear, but it is what it is.

I have the same issue.

I scheduled a service appointment and Tesla cancelled it.
They told me that this is normal for the vehicles with the 21" Arachnids.
It is caused by the differences in toe when the steering is at the extremes.
Obviously, this is not what I want to hear, but it is what it is.
they said this is normal? it sounds like something is going to break jesus.

22 Models S LR...1800+- miles, I just switched from the 19s OEM's to 21 OEM Arachnids and when coming out of my driveway or turning (almost to the full lock position) it sounds and feels like the 21' are rolling over the wheel. When pulling out of my driveway there is a small lip transitioning from driveway to road. The front wheel passenger side (turning wheel driver direction) makes a popping sounding or some type of pressure release "thunk" noise/slide action when it drives over that lip. Definitely the tires doesn't sound like any suspension noise. Also, when going very slowly at full lock it almost feels like the wheels are being pushed or sliding. (it was damp today). tires have 40+ psi. As I am the one who swapped the 19 to 21s and torqued them to 129lb.ft (175nm). No symptoms when driving and turning moderately. Any insight would be appreciated.

I took delivery of my 23 plaid after Thanksgiving and was just coming here to ask about this.

I get the noise when I back out or pull into driveways or parking spots with the yoke cranked pretty far. I wouldn't so much say the sound is a pop but the sensation/ feeling in the yoke is.

To me it seems like in certain conditions the tires instead of rolling along a path end up slipping/jumping/sliding across the asphalt which results in a physical jump/bump sensation in the car and yoke and an accompanying similar pop/ bump sound.

So this is considered “normal” at least with 21s?
Exactly!!!!!!! "slipping/jumping/sliding" I hope this isn't normal. I don't think it does it as bad, or at all, when the yoke isn't cranked near full lock. Let's keep on top of this...as this shouldn't happen...should it?

Exactly!!!!!!! "slipping/jumping/sliding" I hope this isn't normal. I don't think it does it as bad, or at all, when the yoke isn't cranked near full lock. Let's keep on top of this...as this shouldn't happen...should it?

The skipping/sliding feeling at sharp turns is not an issue. It's the wide low profile tire hopping because of the angle. If you want to verify that's all it is, it will do it worse when the road is wet than when it is dry because it's a bit easier for the tire to jump.

The skipping/sliding feeling at sharp turns is not an issue. It's the wide low profile tire hopping because of the angle. If you want to verify that's all it is, it will do it worse when the road is wet than when it is dry because it's a bit easier for the tire to jump.
Thanks for clarifying as I am the one who actually changed the wheels from 19s to 21s and didn't know if it was something I did. Lol Thanks again for the information.

Reactions: Sam1