Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Popping or Thunking when charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is mostly likely the AC/heat pump system switching modes. When supercharging the car wants the battery really hot. Above 50 C. It will actively heat the battery while charging. Once it has the desired temperature, it switches to cooling mode. Not to actually cool it down, but to carry out the heat building up inside the battery from charging. When it switches, you might heat some distinct noises.

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Those sounds are normal. I get those in the initial phase of supercharging when the charging current is the highest, most likely the battery expanding due to rapid charging. Can it damage the battery? Maybe over long term but that’s what the 8 year warranty is for.

Reactions: David99
Do an Advanced Search. You'll see several threads about the various sounds a Tesla makes while supercharging.

Instant answer instead of starting a new thread! ;)

I'm sorry but I absolutely dislike those comments. This is like saying to a child, you should not ask a question in school and look in the text book where the same question was already answered 150 years ago. Learning isn't a mechanic function. People come here who recently got their first EV and want to learn and discuss. It is active and alive place to communicate. Most questions I asked in my life were answered somewhere already, yet the people I interacted with took the time to answer them and spend time with me and help me learn. That is what humans do.

..., most likely the battery expanding due to rapid charging. Can it damage the battery? Maybe over long term but that’s what the 8 year warranty is for.
No, it isn't expanding and contracting during charging and discharging. The sounds are from a pretty complex heating and cooling system. Many high pressure and low pressure lines being switched in an 8-way valve system.

Here is a rather long but very educational video explaining in detail the heating and cooling system in modern Teslas

David99: I'm sorry you're offended. The databases for ALL forums is so cluttered with redundancy that they are rendered useless.

My response was neither condescending nor insulting. It was simply informing an adult new member (not a child) of the wealth of information they would find (including your posts!) doing a search, and the benefit of receiving an immediate answer and knowledge.

Maybe I should have said please?

Last edited:
Reactions: VipinLJ