Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 out - Tesla Model S in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it really is good to hear the varying opinions......i still can't seem to get over the small/large aspect between the two, it's pretty much the reason that is holding me back from ordering one. that and the fact that they're two very different experiences, both with their positives/negatives.

it really is good to hear the varying opinions......i still can't seem to get over the small/large aspect between the two, it's pretty much the reason that is holding me back from ordering one. that and the fact that they're two very different experiences, both with their positives/negatives.

The size difference takes time to get used to. The Model S is a very large car compared to the 911 and most other cars I've owned.

I have the same conundrum...
2002 - 911 Carrera (coupe) fairly modded for auto-x - corner balanced and all that.
2015 85D fully loaded (except the 3rd row seats)

I have had the 911 since 2010 and have tracked it a lot and auto-x when I have time...I love the car. That said, since buying the Tesla I have driven the 911 maybe 10x...I even tried to take the 85D to an auto-x day. I did ok with it but the 911 is another animal...it doesn't have the instant torque but the Tesla cannot come close to the lateral G's that the 911 pulls.

My bottom line is: keep the 911 until I can upgrade to a GT3 someday...if I let it go and upgrade to a P90D I will miss sideways G's (a lot). The MS just will not corner like a 911 - ever.

If you don't track your 911 (or auto-X) you will likely be able to never look back, but if you enjoy pushing your 911 to its limits - you might consider keeping it. One thing tho, I used to commute in the 911 before I got the Tesla, but not anymore...day-to-day driving in Northern Cali traffic is a Tesla job, not a 911 job (at least that's what my 911 clutch says :)).

Tough decision but also a good problem to have :)

^ yep yep....totally agree.....my 991 is pdk and hence my daily driver, i love being in it, i love driving it, owning it is a different story. ingress/egress, scraping up/down driveways, little utility, mileage scares the next buyer away, etc....anyhoot,

The real struggle for me right now has been whether to upgrade my Model S come renewal. (I planned for 2-3 years, but could afford to do it now).

The Model S is supreme commute vehicle, and peerless in this regard. I've test driven the 85D, and it's faster and even more "commanding" on the road, but it's identical to my lowly 60 as a commuter car in bumper to bumper traffic.

So the thing I can't get my head around is a fully loaded P90DL a "brand new Caymen" better than a basic spec 70.... Now there's a conundrum for the Porsche fans ;)

Maybe decide by looking at your current use of your 911. Are you driving it more and more and putting significant annual mileage on it, or is it just the potential of it that makes you want it.

If you find yourself driving the 911 more than any other car, then you have a case to keep it. If you are driving it less every year, then maybe move into a model S.

Biggest issue seems to be that you "must" order a model S next week. With an X coming soon, it would be very tempting to drive that for a while before deciding...but if you must...

Maybe decide by looking at your current use of your 911. Are you driving it more and more and putting significant annual mileage on it, or is it just the potential of it that makes you want it.

If you find yourself driving the 911 more than any other car, then you have a case to keep it. If you are driving it less every year, then maybe move into a model S.

Biggest issue seems to be that you "must" order a model S next week. With an X coming soon, it would be very tempting to drive that for a while before deciding...but if you must...

too late. Bought and paid for MS already. Delivered next week. Screw it. I'm selling the 911.

The real struggle for me right now has been whether to upgrade my Model S come renewal. (I planned for 2-3 years, but could afford to do it now).

The Model S is supreme commute vehicle, and peerless in this regard. I've test driven the 85D, and it's faster and even more "commanding" on the road, but it's identical to my lowly 60 as a commuter car in bumper to bumper traffic.

So the thing I can't get my head around is a fully loaded P90DL a "brand new Caymen" better than a basic spec 70.... Now there's a conundrum for the Porsche fans ;)

You must have a shorter commute than i do if the 60 is identical. ;)

Left with 95% in my 85D yesterday and rolled into the garage with 14 miles left. Today i had 90% (237mi) and returned with 23.

My 'total energy used since last charge' yesterday was >60kwh.

I have the same conundrum...
2002 - 911 Carrera (coupe) fairly modded for auto-x - corner balanced and all that.
2015 85D fully loaded (except the 3rd row seats)

I have had the 911 since 2010 and have tracked it a lot and auto-x when I have time...I love the car. That said, since buying the Tesla I have driven the 911 maybe 10x...I even tried to take the 85D to an auto-x day. I did ok with it but the 911 is another animal...it doesn't have the instant torque but the Tesla cannot come close to the lateral G's that the 911 pulls.

My bottom line is: keep the 911 until I can upgrade to a GT3 someday...if I let it go and upgrade to a P90D I will miss sideways G's (a lot). The MS just will not corner like a 911 - ever.

If you don't track your 911 (or auto-X) you will likely be able to never look back, but if you enjoy pushing your 911 to its limits - you might consider keeping it. One thing tho, I used to commute in the 911 before I got the Tesla, but not anymore...day-to-day driving in Northern Cali traffic is a Tesla job, not a 911 job (at least that's what my 911 clutch says :)).

Tough decision but also a good problem to have :)

Unfortunately, 99% of Porsche owners will never track or autocross their cars. It explains why you see so many people posting here about how they left the 911 and never looked back or don't regret it at all. The MS is a great commuter car (except for the lack of center console and door pockets), particularly with the instant torque, but there's NO WAY it's going to come close to a 911 if you track or autocross it.
It doesn't seem like OP does either, so he should be fine with the MS and MX he's getting.

Unfortunately, 99% of Porsche owners will never track or autocross their cars. It explains why you see so many people posting here about how they left the 911 and never looked back or don't regret it at all. The MS is a great commuter car (except for the lack of center console and door pockets), particularly with the instant torque, but there's NO WAY it's going to come close to a 911 if you track or autocross it.
It doesn't seem like OP does either, so he should be fine with the MS and MX he's getting.

You don't need to be a "racer" to love Porsche's. You just need to appreciate great cars.

no tracking. No time. No interest in buying new brakes and tires all the time. Work. Kids. Cigars. Enjoy a fun ride when I'm not in traffic. These aren't real life problems but still expensive decisions that need to be made. All good. Feel very lucky either way. Looking forward to my X! Got tired of opening my own doors. :)

Unfortunately, 99% of Porsche owners will never track or autocross their cars. It explains why you see so many people posting here about how they left the 911 and never looked back or don't regret it at all. The MS is a great commuter car (except for the lack of center console and door pockets), particularly with the instant torque, but there's NO WAY it's going to come close to a 911 if you track or autocross it. It doesn't seem like OP does either, so he should be fine with the MS and MX he's getting.

As a active PCA member, I think you logic is correct if the OP, but your statistics are a bit off.
With most organizations I find about 10% track, 10% concours, and 80% are regular daily drivers.

You don't need to be a "racer" to love Porsche's. You just need to appreciate great cars.

Nowhere did I say racer. That's a few levels up from High Performance Driving Events (HPDE). While one could definitely enjoy a Porsche on regular roads, there's NO WAY you can really appreciate what the car can do on regular roads without being a hooligan, even if there are no other cars around.
My statement was more for the people who said they feel the MS drives as nice as a 911. That maybe the case at regular road speeds, but to REALLY appreciate a 911, you'd have to be on a track with instruction if you're new to driving on the track. If you've never done it, you won't really appreciate what I mean.

As a active PCA member, I think you logic is correct if the OP, but your statistics are a bit off.
With most organizations I find about 10% track, 10% concours, and 80% are regular daily drivers.

If you have 10% who track that's damn impressive, but I think you're numbers are skewed because you're a PCA and maybe POC member. I know about 30 people with different Porsches, and note a single one has any interest in tracking or autocrossing.

Nowhere did I say racer. That's a few levels up from High Performance Driving Events (HPDE). While one could definitely enjoy a Porsche on regular roads, there's NO WAY you can really appreciate what the car can do on regular roads without being a hooligan, even if there are no other cars around.
My statement was more for the people who said they feel the MS drives as nice as a 911. That maybe the case at regular road speeds, but to REALLY appreciate a 911, you'd have to be on a track with instruction if you're new to driving on the track. If you've never done it, you won't really appreciate what I mean.

If you have 10% who track that's damn impressive, but I think you're numbers are skewed because you're a PCA and maybe POC member. I know about 30 people with different Porsches, and note a single one has any interest in tracking or autocrossing.

And I know about 10, and they all track. They all have either Carrera Ss, GT3s, or Turbo Ss. Does that make me qualified to make a statement about all 911 owners? Probably not...

To the OP: I have a 911 GT3, and my wife drives the 70D. I am happy with that arrangement. When I do not feel like driving the GT3, I drive our SUV or borrow her car.

The MS is very fast, and the experience is unique in its own way. It is not like driving a 911... at all. Both are great in their own way.

<with some risk of going off topic but OP seemed to have solved him problem already :)>
regarding Porsche's and tracking...go to a private track event at either Laguna Seca or Infineon thru something like "trackmasters" or "hooked on driving" and 80% of all cars running are 911's and most of those being various years of GT3's. BMW is prolly a close second wrt numbers at the track...but being a Porsche guy, I will resist poking at BMW here :)

...at least that has been my experience of the last 10 years of going to the track...

OP - Sounds like you made a great choice...you will not be disappointed with your Tesla's! cheers!

.... While one could definitely enjoy a Porsche on regular roads, there's NO WAY you can really appreciate what the car can do on regular roads without being a hooligan, even if there are no other cars around.

Same could be said of the Model S to be fair. (As well as a lot of modern machinery, performance cars in general are almost too good for the roads on which they must travel :) )