Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche 911 out - Tesla Model S in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In case you aren't aware of the obvious, success comes from learning from people that know more than you do.

Agreed - but nobody but you knows whether the pleasure of a 911 is replaceable by that of a Tesla for you. I have a 6-speed F355 - which a Tesla beats in every objective performance standard. But the two cars are not remotely comparable. No Tesla can compare to the pleasure of the sound of God's own V8 at 8000 rpm or the snick of the solid metal shifter through the gates. No Tesla can compete with the steering feel of the 355. No Tesla can compete with the pleasure of breaking the 355's rear end loose in a mid speed bend and then just adding a slight amount of counter steer to bring it back in line. No Tesla can ever compete with the feel of a hand built Italian piece of living history.

No 355 can compare to the pleasure of an air suspension, autopilot and instant torque and silent acceleration.

It's a completely invalid comparison.

Great story of human psychology... my wife was fine with the 911 at first and then slowly drifted away from the car over time.
(Perhaps it had something to do with the subtle performance modifications I made ... suspension, brakes, engine and exhaust):cool:

We are in the middle of a two night test drive. I am buying slightly used at a monster discount. I need to confirm it by tomorrow. Wife loves the car.....today. But anybody that has been married for a while knows that women often change their minds and once they aren't happy, explaining to somebody that they are driving the best, safest, fastest, super expensive cars in the world doesn't change their mind. Thus, it then becomes my car. Oh, did I mention I originally purchased the 911 as a weekend car for us to share. I let her pick the color and she was into it. 20 min into our drive home from the dealership, after spending well over 100k, she informed me that she didn't feel comfortable driving it and wasn't interested. Lol. Now it's my car. She isn't allowed to drive it. I may need therapy soon!

Last edited:
same here

Same situation here, ordered a 70D.. but going to sell a 2007 911 to make room... after 5 test drives, i must say i enjoy the balance of the Tesla...

If i ever step back to a 911, it will be a GTS.

I sold my 993 twin turbo to make room for a new P85D last April.

Hurts thinking about the trade, but I have other air cooled 911 turbo's and they don't get driven. I like the P85D so well, upgraded to Ludicrous and what a blast to drive.

I can't wait for the new Tesla Roadster and Maximum Plaid.

I sold my 993 twin turbo to make room for a new P85D last April.
Hurts thinking about the trade, but I have other air cooled 911 turbo's and they don't get driven.
I like the P85D so well, upgraded to Ludicrous and what a blast to drive.
I can't wait for the new Tesla Roadster and Maximum Plaid.

Ouch, this one hurts as a fellow 993 owner ... the Turbo has doubled in value over the last 12 months.:eek:

...then slowly drifted away from the car over time.

"Drifted." I see what you did there. Nice.

Anyway, as a Model S owner (but not of a Porsche), I'd say this is a tough call. While I would never replace my Model S, I certainly still lust for a 991. The experience of driving a smaller car that's very tuned for sport driving is something I still partially gravitate to. I'm not a fan of internal combustion engines, but I think the 911 looks stunning and there's still something to be appreciated about a more analog experience of engaging yourself with a machine, even though I see it as a Rude Goldberg machine to generate power.

which year 911? what options? manual?

i have 911s and a ms. both are fast and fun yet very different. the 911 drives better but is less practical. the ms is more practical but handles worse. one cannot replace the other. i'd recommend keeping both.

the 911 is a fun weekend car. the s is our work vehicle used to haul construction materials, trash, home depot runs, etc... i've owned many cars, but few excite and enthrall me as much as my 911s. i think you'll miss the 911 if you sell it. (now if you have a 991, then definitely sell it.)

I sold my 2011 911S Cab in early January to buy a Model S either CPO or inventory car but nothing was close to what I wound up ordering. I loved that car but only drove it 3,000 miles last year--nothing went wrong & only had to perform normal service items & tires. So the empty bay in the garage is waiting for my Model S since then. The test drives I took were very impressive but can't wait to get mine & drive it.

Wife loves the car.....today. But anybody that has been married for a while knows that women often change their minds

Got it!

Here's what I would do then: Since the X is yours and the S is your wife's, if it turns out the S is too small for her, trade her your X for the S. Keep the 911. If she doesn't like the X as well, then buy her something else and pick one of the 911, X, or S to sell.

Small price to pay for a happy wife (life)!

which year 911? what options? manual?

i have 911s and a ms. both are fast and fun yet very different. the 911 drives better but is less practical. the ms is more practical but handles worse. one cannot replace the other. i'd recommend keeping both.

the 911 is a fun weekend car. the s is our work vehicle used to haul construction materials, trash, home depot runs, etc... i've owned many cars, but few excite and enthrall me as much as my 911s. i think you'll miss the 911 if you sell it. (now if you have a 991, then definitely sell it.)

2012.5 991 s cab. Every option. 15k miles in 3 years.

I have some sympathy, I bought a Model S, with the intent of selling my Lotus Elise weekend toy (which got pressed in to daily driver status during delivery delays on the Tesla)

In the end I did sell the Lotus... and bought a new Lotus (V6 Exige Roadster) and kept the Model S too. Giving up the handling for me was a step too far, but the torque of the S is addictive. Made it far more expensive than I planned !!.

As others have said comparing an out and out sports car (especially a convertible) to a performance sedan is missing the point somewhat. My view is they are extremely complimentary.

also in the same boat (almost). currently drive a 991 Carrera S coupe (bought it used, second owner here)....have owned other Porsche 911s and luxe sedans so i can relate to and appreciate both. not to become too long winded, have visited our local TSLA store a few times now over the last 24hrs and test drove both the 90D and P90D(L) just this morning. the 991 and MS are both in a league of their own, and so very, very different than one another. i like what one of the other posters said and that is, if you can wait to sell the Porsche that might be the way to go, but owning two cars for myself i don't want to do at this moment (we have 4 cars, 3 drivers as it is right now). purchasing the MS and paying tax up front would make for a very expensive exercise should the MS be the one to be sold, leasing it might be more friendly up front but getting out of one in the short-run will be less easy. if you want the small car and sports call feel (and everything that comes with it, noise, cockpit coziness, handling, precision) then the MS won't suffice as it is a big car albeit one with a low center of gravity. if you're tired of getting in and out of the Porsche, would like a little more room and flexibility while obtaining a whole 'nuther level of technology (and what comes with it, control car from iPhone, quiet, gadgetry, space, comfy ride) then the MS is the way to go i think.

decisions, decisions....... ;)

fwiw, test drove the P90D(L) and 90D over the weekend.....fascinating automobiles...but as i said above, night and day driving experience between the Porsche 991 and MS. my biggest takeaway? one is a very small car, the other a relatively large one. two entirely different driving experiences.

I have some sympathy, I bought a Model S, with the intent of selling my Lotus Elise weekend toy (which got pressed in to daily driver status during delivery delays on the Tesla)

In the end I did sell the Lotus... and bought a new Lotus (V6 Exige Roadster) and kept the Model S too. Giving up the handling for me was a step too far, but the torque of the S is addictive. Made it far more expensive than I planned !!.

As others have said comparing an out and out sports car (especially a convertible) to a performance sedan is missing the point somewhat. My view is they are extremely complimentary.

What year exige? (I might have asked this already in another thread)

2015-05-22 14.54.11.jpg

2015 Non-US "Series 3" in Roadster trim.

View attachment 112341

It's my third Lotus, I had an '05 Exige yours reminds me of it :cool: . Model S + Exige is a great combo ;)

Man, that 2015 is such a beautiful car. The one I posted is actually my brother's, a 2007 (Exige S).

2015-11-27 20.41.35.jpg

I would love to pick up an Elise or something for summer driving, but the X for my wife comes first. Maybe in a few years. Maybe the maximum plaidster. hmmm

That's the problem with these forums. I see something cool. Now I want it. If I had any less self control, I would have 20 cool cars and would end up living under a bridge because I would have spent all my money on these stupid toys. But.....that car looks f'ing awesome! I'm not sure why so many tesla owners suddenly hate all ice cars. Peace and love for all.

I old my 911 for my S85D in April. Yes I miss the 911, it was my dream car. It is light and great coming out of a curve. No doubt about it it is a great car.
But Do I regret selling it? no. The S is an awsome car. I will never go back to an ICE.