Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Porsche delivers the P3D version of the Taycan.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't believe you can eliminate the people, because they comprise the market segment targeted by each company.

Use the example of Timex, or Tag Heuer to Rolex made above.

I understand the example. I get it.

Maybe we have delved into the realm of the "haves and have-nots". I really didn't want to do that, but oh well.

Maybe we shouldn't even compare the cars because we can't compare:

practicality
efficiency
price
environmental impact

With these 2 cars we have to include:

pride
status
self worth
self esteem
identity
vanity

Is that what we are saying? If so then.....my apologies for the conversation.

Last edited:
I don't believe you can eliminate the people, because they comprise the market segment targeted by each company.

Use the example of Timex, or Tag Heuer to Rolex made above.
I understand the example. I get it.

Maybe we have delved into the realm of the "haves and have-nots". I really didn't want to do that, but oh well.

Maybe we shouldn't even compare the cars because we can't compare:

practicality
efficiency
price

With these 2 cars we have to include:

pride
status
feelings

Is that what we are saying? If so then.....my apologies for the conversation.
One can certainly compare the cars, but the conclusion one draws about which is "best" or "preferrable" will be influenced by emotional elements of pride, status, and feelings.

A Tesla P3D buyer will likely conclude the Taycan is ridiculously overpriced based on range and practicality, and the fact that the P3D goes about as fast as the Taycan in a quarter mile test (but not repeatedly like the Taycan).

The Taycan buyer may conclude the Tesla P3D offers excellent value for the price, but he/she will likely prefer the superior build quality, superior customer service experience, and yes the status of owning the Porsche.

Value is not determined by price alone. Many people find value in high-priced luxury goods.

Different buyers (or if you prefer, different market segments).

Last edited:
One can certainly compare the cars, but the conclusion one draws about which is "best" or "preferrable" will be influenced by emotional elements of pride, status, and feelings.

A Tesla P3D buyer will likely conclude the Taycan is ridiculously overpriced based on range and practicality, and the fact that the P3D goes about as fast as the Taycan in a quarter mile test (but not repeatedly like the Taycan).

The Taycan buyer may conclude the Tesla P3D offers excellent value for the price, but he/she will likely prefer the superior build quality, superior customer service experience, and yes the status of owning the Porsche.

Value is not determined by price alone. Many people find value in high-priced luxury goods.

Different buyers (or if you prefer, different market segments).

Different buyers and market segments, and different purposes for the cars. I am not a porsche buyer, but porsche is marketing this to people who want a a porsche, and want to try the EV thing because they wonder why some 4 door tesla beat them at "stoplight hero".

Its the same reason porsche ended up making an SUV, with the ridiculous pricing that new Porsche cayanne's and macan's have vs "the competition". Those cars make money for porsche, and also let the porsche person have a family hauler... thats still a porsche, and drives like one. The price is part of the "exclusivity" for those products.. its priced that way on purpose to keep it an exclusive product.

Porsche is just trying to keep the porsche buyer from going out and buying something like a P3D because "there is no other option for a fast EV"... they are not looking for model 3P buyers who "might want to move up" because the price is so different.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I think people also need to consider that $100K Taycan is actually middle to low end of pricing for a Porsche. It's cheaper than just about any 911, Panamera, and half of the Cayenne model range.

There are two types of people who buy Porsche. One that buys the brand, and one that buys the car characteristics. I would say there are a lot of people out there that do buy because of name, so those may not be able to tell the difference in driving characteristics between a Tesla and a Porsche. However, for the people in the second category, they will be able to tell the difference between Porsche and other cars (not just Tesla, but BMW, MB, and etc.). Porsche cars make you feel like you are part of the machine, and the machine is part of you. That's the special part. It doesn't have to be fast, it doesn't have to be luxurious, and it doesn't have to be efficient. But that emotional bond between the machine and the driver. I really don't think anyone does it better than Porsche.

And yes, I have a Model 3 now and I had a Porsche before. If I can afford it right now, I would get a Taycan immediately, no questions asked.

I did it.

I drove a Taycan this weekend.

There is NO WAY in the world I would trade in my P3D for it.

Interestingly enough - almost every issue I had with the Taycan...I have with the Model S.

1. Its too big.
2. Ingress and Egress is harder.
3. Price
4. The hood is too long. I can't really see what is closely in front of me.
5. Acceleration is too close to my P3D to pay almost twice for it.

I would have thought Porsche would have made a 911 electric or something. That might have been fun.

Reactions: ACA Man

Bill Gates just purchased a Taycan.

Here is the link --------> Bill Gates talks Tesla, the Porsche Taycan, and why range anxiety is still a thing

Whats most notable is his quote:

Interestingly enough, after talking about consumers’ concerns about electric vehicle range, Gates mentioned that he recently purchased a Porsche Taycan. “It’s a premium-priced car, but yeah it is very, very cool,” he said. The Taycan is one of the more expensive electric vehicles on the market, with the top-of-the-line Turbo S trim starting at $185,000.

The vehicle, however, is not very efficient, offering 192 miles of range according to estimates from the EPA. While this number was low according to a recent test from automotive magazine Car and Driver, the range rating is still significantly less than the Tesla Model S.

Here's an image of the 4S, courtesy of user Mission4s on the Taycan forum. First Taycan with the metal roof that I've seen.

Say what you will, but that is one good looking car. :eek:

000_DSC_2838_scaled.JPG

• Love
Reactions: tvad
I did it.

I drove a Taycan this weekend.

There is NO WAY in the world I would trade in my P3D for it.

Interestingly enough - almost every issue I had with the Taycan...I have with the Model S.

1. Its too big.
2. Ingress and Egress is harder.
3. Price
4. The hood is too long. I can't really see what is closely in front of me.
5. Acceleration is too close to my P3D to pay almost twice for it.

I would have thought Porsche would have made a 911 electric or something. That might have been fun.
1. Yes, just like MS, it’s bigger than M3.
2. It sits real low to the ground and thus ‘harder’ to get in and out.
3. Price is a big factor for me too and so 4S is more likely.
4. I didn’t have any problem with the hood and I am 5’8”. I do understand your point however. Both Ms & M3 are sitting higher.
5. Can’t argue on this since I’d never driven a P3D and got no plan to do so.