Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portable battery charger for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question as I ran into this few months ago.My model 3 just die out few miles before the supercharger.I got it towed to supercharger after a long delay and it was only two miles away.Is there a portable charger available with enough volts and amp to charge any Tesla car to give it enough power to drive few miles to the supercharger.I am not talking about charge for long drive but just few miles.

I have a question as I ran into this few months ago.My model 3 just die out few miles before the supercharger.I got it towed to supercharger after a long delay and it was only two miles away.Is there a portable charger available with enough volts and amp to charge any Tesla car to give it enough power to drive few miles to the supercharger.I am not talking about charge for long drive but just few miles.
You are dealing with 120-240volts chargers, there are no back up available

Zipcharge Go is supposed to begin shipping 'soon'. Its basically a (large) suitcase filled with batteries. Seems like a really mediocre thing, TBH. I can't really see the market for it, considering it takes up much of ones trunk space, costs a ton of dough, and unless you aren't paying attention you should really never need it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Is there a portable charger available with enough volts and amp to charge any Tesla car to give it enough power to drive few miles

Yes there is!

YouTuber Tesla Bjørn has been uploading videos of what happens to different EV's when they reach a low state of charge enough that they can no longer move on their own.

He carries out this test on a side road near a DC fast charger which has nearly no traffic at all, but the important thing is he brings the EV's back to life, just enough to move a few miles to the DC fast charger, using an EcoFlow DELTA Max with a 4 kWh setup. (You can have a 2, 4, or 6 kWh setup with the DELTA Max model).

He has found quite interesting results doing this experiment, as the BMS deals with the very low SOC very differently in each EV.

For example the fat Audi e-tron wouldn't move after receiving nearly 3.6 kWh (after losses) from the EcoFlow. He is also able to see how much lower hidden buffer the battery has (after the vehicle claims 0%) and what user alerts the car shows the driver before killing the powertrain due to lack of power and protection to the high voltage battery.

Anyway, I highly recommend watching those videos and I've even bought an EcoFlow myself, which I bring with me every road trip I take, (it's very heavy as you might imagine), but fortunately I haven't been able to use it... yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Art,
Yes exactly that was my question and you answered it perfectly.I did look at those videos and ecoflo is costly.I think it will take few years before cheaper versions will be available.I feel all EV owners should have the opportunity to carry something like this for emergencies.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Some areas may never have the charger population necessary to be practical. For drivers that regularly have a charger shortage an auxiliary will make sense. Otherwise the extra weight will be reducing range nearly everyday. And if not maintained properly would fail when needed.