Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zipcharge looks interesting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

birdsquared

Fan-man (too old to be a fanboi)
May 15, 2020
Burnaby, BC
So, I found this proposed device today - supposed to be coming in 2022:
Since I live in an apartment, it seems like a worthwhile thing to have.

I have signed up for further information, and if you also fall into the demographic (EV owner without charging ability at home), you might want to take a look.

So, I found this proposed device today - supposed to be coming in 2022:
Since I live in an apartment, it seems like a worthwhile thing to have.

I have signed up for further information, and if you also fall into the demographic (EV owner without charging ability at home), you might want to take a look.

I guess its potentially a passable device if you have no other alternative. I'd like to see what they'll do about the device itself getting stolen. I'd like to see an actual weight and kwh capacity. If it can deliver ALL of its available charge in 30-60 minutes, that means they'll need to have a rather enormous inverter in there. Additionally, you'll be adding not one but TWO extra conversions of power(one to convert the AC into DC for the suitcase battery, the other to change that DC back to AC to feed into the car(which will then turn it back into DC... sigh))

Their claims are 'questionable'. Lets suppose you expect to add 30 miles using that pack. Thats 30/4kwh, or around 8 kwh of batteries, which MIGHT fit in that suitcase. Now lets try to put that 8kwh into a car in 30 minutes.. That's a 16kw inverter and the car you're feeding needs a 16kw charger(some model S's can take more than that, but not many).

A 16kw inverter would probably be half the weight/volume of that suitcase. Heck, even a 5kwh inverter is large.

To top that off, 8kwh of batteries, presumably lithium-ion of some sort is gonna cost around $800 at todays prices, and that's before you stick on a $500 inverter, fancypants cell connection, and so on. I'd be surprised if the out-the-door price is less than $2000.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I suspect the true purpose of this device is to generate income from investors, not to actually be produced or sold as a real product. Can you imagine lugging that heavy thing in/out of your home/office every day to recharge it in your futile efforts to keep up with a 20 mile commute?

Every apartment complex will have a nearby DC fast charger long before these things hit the market. And besides, even a hybrid would likely be more environmentally responsible than the production/disposal of a powerpack suitcase.

I guess its potentially a passable device if you have no other alternative. I'd like to see what they'll do about the device itself getting stolen. I'd like to see an actual weight and kwh capacity. If it can deliver ALL of its available charge in 30-60 minutes, that means they'll need to have a rather enormous inverter in there. Additionally, you'll be adding not one but TWO extra conversions of power(one to convert the AC into DC for the suitcase battery, the other to change that DC back to AC to feed into the car(which will then turn it back into DC... sigh))

Their claims are 'questionable'. Lets suppose you expect to add 30 miles using that pack. Thats 30/4kwh, or around 8 kwh of batteries, which MIGHT fit in that suitcase. Now lets try to put that 8kwh into a car in 30 minutes.. That's a 16kw inverter and the car you're feeding needs a 16kw charger(some model S's can take more than that, but not many).

A 16kw inverter would probably be half the weight/volume of that suitcase. Heck, even a 5kwh inverter is large.

To top that off, 8kwh of batteries, presumably lithium-ion of some sort is gonna cost around $800 at todays prices, and that's before you stick on a $500 inverter, fancypants cell connection, and so on. I'd be surprised if the out-the-door price is less than $2000.
I thought this service has someone come to your car to charge it, not you owning the charger...

Issue as I see it is your trying to charge an 800 to 1000 lb or so battery with whatever this thing weighs, just by the weight you can tell it can’t have much power in it.
One assumes it would be DC to DC because if it’s not as was posted it would be rather inefficient and expensive.

Without being a smart arse, you woud likely be better off with a Honda suitcase generator.

Our vehicles batteries have an ENORMOUS amount power in the battery, it’s hard to comprehend just how much power there is. Even an SR+ 3 has 54 KWH in it. An average house uses only 30 KWH in a 24 hour period. So to get any significant charge would take a big, heavy battery to do it, one your not picking up and would cost thousands.

Reactions: Rocky_H