Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Portland condo owner here: Do I even need a home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, that is not correct. One tax credit has nothing to do with the other. There is no timing issue. Most Tesla owners don't qualify for the alternative fueling infrastructure credit, though, because it is subject to AMT. The tax credit for buying an EV is not subject to AMT.

OK, well that is not what I have been told, and seen myself. If I take the $7,500 credit I can't take the alternative fueling credit the same year. And I am not subject to AMT. If you make enough money, I think someone said north of $400k, you can take both in the same year, but I suspect few people make that much.

I have seen many people on the forum say that they timed their delivery and install so that they were in different tax years so that they could take full advantage of both.

I see the adapter is priced $450 on the Tesla website. Where do you see $19.95 for 30 days of unlimited charging (is that 30 consecutive days or 30 individual days over any time period)
The AeroVironment network did not have any stations in Portland, or maybe I am missing something. They look like they are spaced out like Superchargers. EV Solutions | Subscribe To The West Coast Electric Highway

$450 plus tax if applicable plus shipping.

Give AeroVironment a call - when I used their chargers last year they said they were in the midst of expansion. Am surprised they're not in Portland proper as they were in seemingly every little town (relatively speaking) along the coast.

It's 30 consecutive days from the day you sign up. And it probably autorenews.

Plugshare should give a good idea of ChaDeMo coverage in Portland. If you can create and maintain a good relationship with the manager of the nearest Nissan dealership and can go during non-peak times, that may be another way.

In the end, there won't be any more convenient option than having an HPWC or similar at your condo. With a more reasonable bid and a plan to stay there a few years - path of least resistance and all.

Reactions: Portland Blue
$450 plus tax if applicable plus shipping.

Give AeroVironment a call - when I used their chargers last year they said they were in the midst of expansion. Am surprised they're not in Portland proper as they were in seemingly every little town (relatively speaking) along the coast.

It's 30 consecutive days from the day you sign up. And it probably autorenews.

Plugshare should give a good idea of ChaDeMo coverage in Portland. If you can create and maintain a good relationship with the manager of the nearest Nissan dealership and can go during non-peak times, that may be another way.

In the end, there won't be any more convenient option than having an HPWC or similar at your condo. With a more reasonable bid and a plan to stay there a few years - path of least resistance and all.
I'll see if I can find a cheaper option with the home charger. There are CHAdeMO's close to my condo, so that would not be an issue.

Just to clarify the costs using CHAdeMO:
1) fixed one-time cost of charger adapter: ~$500
2) monthly fee option of $20/month (I suspect I would use 2 times per month at current usage) through AeroVironment. I assume I would NOT pay for charges at the charger, but wanted clarification
3) No monthly fee and "pay as you go". I assume rates are the same as for non-CHAdeMO charging (though it's quicker), but wanted clarification as well.

Thanks again.

I'll see if I can find a cheaper option with the home charger. There are CHAdeMO's close to my condo, so that would not be an issue.

Just to clarify the costs using CHAdeMO:
1) fixed one-time cost of charger adapter: ~$500
2) monthly fee option of $20/month (I suspect I would use 2 times per month at current usage) through AeroVironment. I assume I would NOT pay for charges at the charger, but wanted clarification
3) No monthly fee and "pay as you go". I assume rates are the same as for non-CHAdeMO charging (though it's quicker), but wanted clarification as well.

Thanks again.

1) yes, although do check with your local owners club and/or in the fora - might be someone willing to sell theirs for less.
2) the AV monthly fee is indeed unlimited - no at-charger fees.
3) no idea about non-Chademo charging. My recollection at the AV Chademo was $7 for the one-time - can verify with AV. Other Chademo provider charges vary from free to ridiculous.

The site won't take a tiff file and I don't have time to convert it. If you go to Plugshare and type in Portland, OR, and filter for just the high speed chargers (orange) it will return a local area view of all the ones about which Plugshare is aware. Check out each carefully. Hopefully one or more will work for you.

Reactions: Portland Blue
1) yes, although do check with your local owners club and/or in the fora - might be someone willing to sell theirs for less.
2) the AV monthly fee is indeed unlimited - no at-charger fees.
3) no idea about non-Chademo charging. My recollection at the AV Chademo was $7 for the one-time - can verify with AV. Other Chademo provider charges vary from free to ridiculous.

The site won't take a tiff file and I don't have time to convert it. If you go to Plugshare and type in Portland, OR, and filter for just the high speed chargers (orange) it will return a local area view of all the ones about which Plugshare is aware. Check out each carefully. Hopefully one or more will work for you.
Thanks Tao. Very helpful. Looking at the website, it's $7.50 per DC session and $4 per level 2 session. I sent them a message asking about within the city chargers. There are definitely CHAdeMO stations close to my place on Plug Share map, and I saw one that was EVgo, another that was Blink operated and a couple that didn't have a company associated... Go figure.

• Informative
Reactions: TaoJones
We have a condo in Portland (with nowhere to charge nearby), a house in Seattle, and vacation place in the San Juan Islands. The last two locations only have 110V 10 amp receptacles just outside the homes. We drive back and forth, using Superchargers if necessary along the way, We do not really need to drive the car much while staying at any of these locations. We have never felt the need to install a fancy 240V charger. We simply plug into one of our electrical outlets, and let the car charge slowly. Yes, it takes longer than using, but since we don’t drive much, if at all, we dont’ mind that it takes a day or two to get up to 80 or 90%. My point is—one does not need a 240 Volt outlet in order to charge your car—it depends on how much driving you do.

That's a tough call. When you say you're looking at an S60, let's assume then it is used. Several things to consider.
- Your pack probably has degradation​
- Fast DC charging may increase the degradation​
- What is your value of time used to drive to either a SC or other Fast DC charger, sit at charger, and then use a portion of that charge to get back to your home?​
- If your car does not have lifetime free SC, what is your estimated costs?​
- Even if you have free supercharging, it has been noted that after so many fast DC chargers, the Tesla software will start to slow your charge rate at superchargers (presumably to protect the pack from damage)​

It sounds like you have a short drive, and don't put high miles on a car. You may find fast DC charging to be doable. But with a car with limited range (vs a 85 or 90 pack), are you ok that if you don't charge before you return home, you may find you don't have the range to go where you need to go. Also, the Tesla is known for vampire drain. So, you may lose anywhere from 1 - 3% of pack capacity daily.

In addition to the CHAdeMO solution, you may want to look at the Setec CCS adapter. On the S, it will charge faster than the CHAdeMO adapter if the station is rated above 50kw. Also, in most areas, there appears to be greater availability of CCS chargers vs CHAdeMO. I have one, really as an emergency device if I get backed into a corner. However, some owners in high SC utilization areas (eg Los Angeles) that have lines to get on a SC have been buying these to give them a charge alternative.

The bottom line, we're still in an early adopter stage of EV ownership. In my case, I have a long (180 mile) drive to work (only do it once a week), so both the ability to leave the house with a full charge and have a number of fast DC charge options was a necessity (in fact, decided not to take a M3 that I had reserved on the first day of reservations because the SC network wasn't built out then).

Good luck. If you can figure out the charging that will work for you, you'll love the car