Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Positive delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my Tesla Model Y today and saw no fit/alignment/paint issues that seemed worth a service visit. A few gaps that might bother some people but really minor in my opinion. Hopefully they keep working on production quality but for a first year model I think it was fine.

Had the updated door lock buttons, updated front latch (according to sales person) and updated rear seats (also according to sales person).

Overall very happy so far and wanted to post a positive story. I was definitely a little nervous after reading the forums, but so far so good. They did inspect it 4 days ago and fixed one door alignment issue (that's all they told me). This was at Tyson's Corner - Tyco in Virginia.

The software was old, but got it updated right away.

VIN: 349xx
Ordered 7/19
Delivered 8/27
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
All Black Premium Interior
Deep Blue Metallic
19’’ Gemini Wheels
Autopilot

congrats! thanks a lot for sharing a positive experience.

i'm supposed to be picking up from Tyco as well and have heard mixed things about that location, sounds like no issues there?

I didn't have any issues with them. Most of the issues I've read about online were in regard to service. Hopefully with the new Sterling service location open now at least the wait time for fixes should be less and maybe the mechanics can be more thorough if they aren't constantly overbooked.

Picked up my Tesla Model Y today and saw no fit/alignment/paint issues that seemed worth a service visit. A few gaps that might bother some people but really minor in my opinion. Hopefully they keep working on production quality but for a first year model I think it was fine.

Had the updated door lock buttons, updated front latch (according to sales person) and updated rear seats (also according to sales person).

Overall very happy so far and wanted to post a positive story. I was definitely a little nervous after reading the forums, but so far so good. They did inspect it 4 days ago and fixed one door alignment issue (that's all they told me). This was at Tyson's Corner - Tyco in Virginia.

The software was old, but got it updated right away.

VIN: 349xx
Ordered 7/19
Delivered 8/27
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
All Black Premium Interior
Deep Blue Metallic
19’’ Gemini Wheels
Autopilot
Yes, Mine was built 7/2020 w/ VIN 32,8XX and I have no quality issues that I’ve found.

Reactions: hikingmonk
@hikingmonk and @kenwood, do you plan to tint the front windows? I’ve used Tint FX in Vienna (and when they were in Fairfax) before and had good results. I’m curious if either of you have tried other places or plan to?

@sjmcman yeah i 100% plan on tinting the windows... for my previous cars i've gone to Contour Tinting in Chantilly, but i'm in Arlington now and that's a bit of a hike. have not heard of Tint FX before but i'll check them out, thanks for the tip!

Do you guys like the tint for heat or privacy or both? Or just looks? Any rough idea how much it would cost?
all of the above - i think it looks 100x better tinted, but the thermal benefits & privacy make it worthwhile on their own.

not sure on cost (someone else w/ first hand experience could chime in) but in the past i paid ~$270 for my VW GTI on all 4 windows... my husband got an e-Tron a couple weeks ago and paid $400 for tint on all 4 windows + the back window. so i would guess somewhere in that ballpark.

Reactions: hikingmonk
congrats! thanks a lot for sharing a positive experience.

i'm supposed to be picking up from Tyco as well and have heard mixed things about that location, sounds like no issues there?

Actually....

I picked up a Model Y at Tysons a couple of weeks ago and it was a frenetic mess. I couldn't even flag down someone to check me in and thoughtfully look over the issues I found with the car...and nobody bothered to approach me and ask if I needed help. Nobody seemed to realize I was there for my original delivery appointment, and honestly I just wanted to look over the car privately first anyway.

I almost just flagged someone down to tell them I was refusing delivery for fitment issues and obvious mistakes that shouldn't have gotten through a local quality inspection in the first place.

For example, the driver's side A-pillar cover was separated by an inch in places from the pillar and bowed in a massive, almost comical example of a clear mistake. The one Tesla employee who had five seconds to take a quick look ended up putting a greasy black hand print on it. Moreover, there was tape adhesive left inside the car, and also yellow material of some kind stuck between exterior body panels that took repeated alcohol injections to remove (would not come out with tweezers or fingers). Also, I noticed some customers had little "Congrats" signs standing inside on their dashboard with their names (not me...waaah). It seemed as if they hadn't even looked over the vehicle yet.

I did flag down one agent long enough who told me they had a similar Model Y with the $2K more expensive wheels nearby, but that I could NOT go see it first and I had to make a decision to "un-match" from the first vehicle right there before I could match to the nearby one. That part was absolutely infuriating to me...still is, the more I think about it.

I ended up not even officially "checking in" for my delivery appointment that day because it was so chaotic. I just rescheduled the delivery on the website for a couple of days later. When I went back (in the middle of my workday, hoping it would be less frenetic), I gave the manager a pretty strong chat. He brought out the service manager and an agent I asked for who seemed a bit more honest and thoughtful, and I ended up taking the car (mostly out of desperation, having a rental for months by that point).

Now I have a long laundry list of stuff to try and get the Service Center to fix this week.

In short, I can't recommend Tysons for delivery. The manager actually told me they *wouldn't* schedule deliveries on certain days when they're less busy or to spread out the effort. It seemed bizarre to tell a Customer they can only do deliveries on certain days.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention they *never* answer their phones, their voicemail is always full or not set up, and the phone system sends you circles. If you ever need to talk with them, plan on driving there. If I had to do it again, I'd pick another location. Also, a week after I finally accepted the car, they texted me to tell me they had forgotten to put the inspection sticker on it and that i had to bring the car back to get that put on...I was ready to leave then I realized the car *already* had the inspection sticker on it, and they were just flat out incorrect. Bizarre.

R,
Bill

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: kenwood
Actually....

I picked up a Model Y at Tysons a couple of weeks ago and it was a frenetic mess. I couldn't even flag down someone to check me in and thoughtfully look over the issues I found with the car...and nobody bothered to approach me and ask if I needed help. Nobody seemed to realize I was there for my original delivery appointment, and honestly I just wanted to look over the car privately first anyway.

I almost just flagged someone down to tell them I was refusing delivery for fitment issues and obvious mistakes that shouldn't have gotten through a local quality inspection in the first place.

For example, the driver's side A-pillar cover was separated by an inch in places from the pillar and bowed in a massive, almost comical example of a clear mistake. The one Tesla employee who had five seconds to take a quick look ended up putting a greasy black hand print on it. Moreover, there was tape adhesive left inside the car, and also yellow material of some kind stuck between exterior body panels that took repeated alcohol injections to remove (would not come out with tweezers or fingers). Also, I noticed some customers had little "Congrats" signs standing inside on their dashboard with their names (not me...waaah). It seemed as if they hadn't even looked over the vehicle yet.

I did flag down one agent long enough who told me they had a similar Model Y with the $2K more expensive wheels nearby, but that I could NOT go see it first and I had to make a decision to "un-match" from the first vehicle right there before I could match to the nearby one. That part was absolutely infuriating to me...still is, the more I think about it.

I ended up not even officially "checking in" for my delivery appointment that day because it was so chaotic. I just rescheduled the delivery on the website for a couple of days later. When I went back (in the middle of my workday, hoping it would be less frenetic), I gave the manager a pretty strong chat. He brought out the service manager and an agent I asked for who seemed a bit more honest and thoughtful, and I ended up taking the car (mostly out of desperation, having a rental for months by that point).

Now I have a long laundry list of stuff to try and get the Service Center to fix this week.

In short, I can't recommend Tysons for delivery. The manager actually told me they *wouldn't* schedule deliveries on certain days when they're less busy or to spread out the effort. It seemed bizarre to tell a Customer they can only do deliveries on certain days.

UPDATE: Forgot to mention they *never* answer their phones, their voicemail is always full or not set up, and the phone system sends you circles. If you ever need to talk with them, plan on driving there. If I had to do it again, I'd pick another location. Also, a week after I finally accepted the car, they texted me to tell me they had forgotten to put the inspection sticker on it and that i had to bring the car back to get that put on...I was ready to leave then I realized the car *already* had the inspection sticker on it, and they were just flat out incorrect. Bizarre.

R,
Bill
all really helpful info, appreciate the summary of your experience. it definitely sounds a line with other's experiences i've heard about Tyco. and not to excuse any of their issues but they really seem unreasonable swamped whenever i've gone over there. i hope Tesla has plans for expansion of service centers all over the country.

i had a delivery scheduled for Tyco back in September but had to cancel & release the VIN a couple weeks prior because family stuff came up. now that i'm waiting for a new VIN, I think I'll opt for a different location for the next delivery appointment (Bethesda maybe?)