Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possibility of key fob reuse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
My car came with just 1 fob and was just wondering of the possibility to reuse second hand key fobs. Some car brands lock their keys once programmed and they can't be used in another car, are tesla keys like that? Because I can see a ton of second hand keys on ebay for example ... And if it works, would be nice.

Unless things have changed for the 2021+ MS, you must take your fobs in to the SC with your car to get them reprogrammed to work with your car. And check both before you leave. If you take only one, only one is going work after the programming. You can get up to 3 programmed to match your car.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Before you do this, make sure that you get the second generation fob as Tesla have updated it’s security level from the original, not that secure fobs. I think it’s only available in Europe, not sure about NA and other regions.

Unless things have changed for the 2021+ MS, you must take your fobs in to the SC with your car to get them reprogrammed to work with your car. And check both before you leave. If you take only one, only one is going work after the programming. You can get up to 3 programmed to match your car.
I’m confused. While I haven’t played with the fobs that came with my car, I’m pretty sure you can pair/unpair it right in the car (same way you pair/unpair a key card) on the 2021+.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
Hi all,
My car came with just 1 fob and was just wondering of the possibility to reuse second hand key fobs. Some car brands lock their keys once programmed and they can't be used in another car, are tesla keys like that? Because I can see a ton of second hand keys on ebay for example ... And if it works, would be nice.
Did you ever get an answer. I have a 2015 MS and have I I Love you one fob that works but have two others that are used - need to know if these other two used ones(which did not come with the car) can be reprogrammed at the SC or will they tell me that they won’t be able to reprogram the used ones?

Did you ever get an answer. I have a 2015 MS and have I I Love you one fob that works but have two others that are used - need to know if these other two used ones(which did not come with the car) can be reprogrammed at the SC or will they tell me that they won’t be able to reprogram the used ones?
Most certainly they would be able but be prepared for negative answer. You need to ask service to perform the programming, and be sure you bring your working fob with you. They need all your keys for this to proceed.