TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Possible hidden costs

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by MostlyStock, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

The prevailing rates for certified mechanics are already pretty high....and that's for ICE cars.

I would imagine the specialized knowledge to work on EVs sets you apart.

2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Yep, It does.

That's why I'm all in for Tesla to charge a customer 3 times the price of parts - when it comes to labor.

$100 in parts = $400 for the service call.

3. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

Not really. Warranty service, is service paid for by car sales. And there are other reasons you might do it. Maintaining under-utilized service centers for regional coverage, or as a confidence booster (i.e. marketing).

Thank you kindly.

• Informative x 1
  4. ModelNforNerd

I'm sure I'll be ok with it too, considering the lack of times I'll have to visit the Service Center for non-warranty work compared to my Audi.

The OEM recommended 35000 service? It's pretty comprehensive....and also $900.

For that singular reason alone, I did the normally-unwise thing and purchased Audi Care up front for $800.

5. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Yeah the recommended transmission service is like 400 by itself. That was the main reason I got a stick in my Golf.

6. ModelNforNerd

I'm due for the 35K service any time now...and that's the last one covered by Audi Care.

I don't drive as much lately since I park and take the train into the city.

I'm hoping to MAYBE have my Model 3 before the 45K mile service.