Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible reservation number hint on My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this would be harmful, it's basic data-mining. Pretty common with anything nowadays.

Well now that it's gone, and we all had a quick rush of excitement, did we conclude anything in the theory regarding the number significance? I couldn't chime in because I was working intensely.

FWIW, I am number 390XXX. Reserved 3/31 early morning in-store. West coast. If anyone is still trying to figure it out, more data the better.

View attachment 179878
The above graph is probably the most useful discovery here - from an investor perspective.
Tesla was getting $1.5m per day from new reservations over the last month.
It's a pity this wasn't discovered 6 months from now to see if it extended further.

upload_2016-6-7_16-59-2.png

I don't think this would be harmful, it's basic data-mining. Pretty common with anything nowadays.

Well now that it's gone, and we all had a quick rush of excitement, did we conclude anything in the theory regarding the number significance? I couldn't chime in because I was working intensely.

FWIW, I am number 390XXX. Reserved 3/31 early morning in-store. West coast. If anyone is still trying to figure it out, more data the better.

Reservation_id is the key to your reservation record. It was left hidden in the HTML source accidentally by Tesla IT / or IT Contractor. It is likely an Identity column in a SQL table that contains your record(s), incremented sequentially as records were inserted as reservations were accepted.

There seems to be a sequence that makes sense for a lot of reservation holders. There are some outliers (multiple reservations, etc) that can be explained by some type of database cleanup where new records were likely inserted.

It is also possible there were multiple SQL databases on multiple servers that were scaled across as traffic increased. There was likely a merge of data, also generating new keys.

Bottom line is there is likely a Timestamp column in the reservation record that should contain the exact date/time of the reservation. This is likely what will be used for sequencing as part of a sort. It, unfortunately, wasn't exposed in the HTML.

Of course, this could be an Easter Egg, deliberately coded, for the entertainment of EM....

I wonder if the reservation numbers are assigned when payment is received by Tesla as it is not a confirmed reservation until the deposit has been paid. Hence if there was a delay in the payment coming through then they would have an apparently out of sequence number.
I received my confirmation email quite a few hours after I placed my online reservation. Did those with out of sequence numbers have an unusually long delay before they received their confirmation email?
I got my confirmation email several days after ordering in store on 3/31 morning (around 10:15-10:30 Eastern). My number was 373,73x. But I did see the confirmation appear in My Tesla almost immediately.

View attachment 179878

The above graph is probably the most useful discovery here - from an investor perspective.

Tesla was getting $1.5m per day from new reservations over the last month.

It's a pity this wasn't discovered 6 months from now to see if it extended further.
It is very likely that there are S/X reservation and CPO sales in the mix. Also this number doesn't include reservations from China (about 7% of total based on my survey to Chinese reservation holders applying the same method yesterday). All in all, I think there are 1300 new reservations coming in per day.

Of course it'd be harmful to Tesla. People will think they have the "wrongly assigned" number, and Tesla will be contacted as a direct consequence. Tesla must deal with these people which takes resources away from the company from doing useful things. Someone even posted on the Tesla forum that they will contact Tesla "if If it turns out that this is indeed some sort of indicator". So it's in Tesla's best interest to remove it and to not give any credence to its significance.

Reactions: Att1cus
Of course it'd be harmful to Tesla. People will think they have the "wrongly assigned" number, and Tesla will be contacted as a direct consequence. Tesla must deal with these people which takes resources away from the company from doing useful things. Someone even posted on the Tesla forum that they will contact Tesla "if If it turns out that this is indeed some sort of indicator". So it's in Tesla's best interest to remove it and to not give any credence to its significance.

Good point, hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Hence them taking it down. Haha. I suppose it were truly harmless, they would have left it there.

Regarding the underlined... I'm confused by your phrasing. Are you saying people not on the east coast were able to order before 10am local time?

Yes Europe, Asia and Employee records we able to order before. I was interested in a percentage by time zone of preorders. Being in the Central I was interested in how many West and Mountain people also registered before the reveal as the will jump me in line.

Yes Europe, Asia and Employee records we able to order before. I was interested in a percentage by time zone of preorders. Being in the Central I was interested in how many West and Mountain people also registered before the reveal as the will jump me in line.
Please revisit what I underlined. I was talking about the buckets you labelled "Central", "Mountain", and "West Coast".