Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to change the steering wheel thumb wheels from plastic to the new metal versions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can see swapping to get a heated wheel (which I'm not sure is possible), but why the metal thumb wheels? FOMO? I actually prefer the old rubberized ones. The new metal ones on my '21 M3P are more slippery and require more pressure to keep your thumb from sliding (the metal knurling isn't as aggressive as it should be). Also, when you get into a hot car, they're blazing hot to the touch. I'm sure winter will be freezing cold too.

Reactions: Resist
Does the metal version "feel" better? The reports I read made it sound like you can't tell the difference.

Used to have the old style wheel (2018 car), have the new one on my 2021. The rotation feels better to me - it’s a little bit looser but the resistance feels higher-quality, more mechanical somehow. The old one felt like it was holding you back if you needed to spin it a few times (eg change speed in 5 mph increments 3-4 times). New one feels good. Side to side it feels about the same as before.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adam3
Here are the part numbers. Open a service request through the Tesla app and tell them you want to buy these.
STEERING WHEEL SW LH MATTE ALU 1583975-00-A
STEERING WHEEL SW RH MATTE ALU 1583976-00-A

How to replace them

Last edited:
I actually prefer the old rubberized ones. The new metal ones on my '21 M3P are more slippery and require more pressure to keep your thumb from sliding (the metal knurling isn't as aggressive as it should be).
My 2018 Model 3 had the rubber scroll wheels, my 2023 Model Y has the metal ones. I prefer the rubber ones because they feel better to the touch, with less slipping and they are black instead of a silvery black like the metal ones are. I have never heard of the rubber ones wearing out, I mine didn't after 5 years of use. I'd really like to know the real reason that Tesla changed them.

My exact situation. I also prefer the older ones on my 2018 Model 3.

On another note, 5k miles away from 100,000, and this 5 year old car is just as rock solid as my recently acquired ‘23 Model Y. Most people have no idea, and are absolutely blown away when I tell the my car’s age or mileage. Still looks brand new. For all the complaints we may have, Tesla does make one heck of a product.

Reactions: skygraff
….Most people have no idea, and are absolutely blown away when I tell the my car’s age or mileage. Still looks brand new. For all the complaints we may have, Tesla does make one heck of a product.
Agreed. I’ve owned twenty year old Porsches which others would mistake for new, but to me they felt old. I think the Tesla driver experience is world class and will age well. At nearly seven years, I enjoy driving it every day.

After chuckling at the thread title a bit, i changed it to "steering wheel thumb wheels", because I am SURE not everyone will display the level of restraint that you did, there :cool:

Thanks for PG-13-ing this thread!

Does the metal version "feel" better? The reports I read made it sound like you can't tell the difference.

Nope, it's the other way around.
I have rubber thumbwheels in my car and test drove a new TM3 with metal ones. I strongly prefer my older rubber ones to the new slippery metal.
Not a big deal, overall, but I would not spend my money to DOWN-grade.

So there's a known issue with them wearing out or failing? I hadn't heard that.

Nope.
Zero wear on mine after 5 years and 60K miles.

YMMV,
a

Reactions: ODWms