Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to fix matte / faded paint areas after driving on gravel roads by detailing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking to buy a red Model S 2018, but it has faded spots in the paint behind the rear wheels in and near the bottom of the wheel well. The seller initially refused that there was some kind of wear or damage, and told me it was only dust or dirt that could be washed away. It now seems like it doesn't and he's having the whole car detailed. He later admitted the car had been driven on gravel roads, and I was immediately suspicous. I've seen some bad examples of corrosion starting with paint chips in this area on other cars, leading to the paint bubbling up and what not. The car is being driven on salted roads in the winter.

May the detailer fix it properly with rubbing and polish, or is the only proper way to fix this kind of wear to put on some new paint?

I'm looking to buy a red Model S 2018, but it has faded spots in the paint behind the rear wheels in and near the bottom of the wheel well. The seller initially refused that there was some kind of wear or damage, and told me it was only dust or dirt that could be washed away. It now seems like it doesn't and he's having the whole car detailed. He later admitted the car had been driven on gravel roads, and I was immediately suspicous. I've seen some bad examples of corrosion starting with paint chips in this area on other cars, leading to the paint bubbling up and what not. The car is being driven on salted roads in the winter.

May the detailer fix it properly with rubbing and polish, or is the only proper way to fix this kind of wear to put on some new paint?

You're talking about the bottom of the rear bumper behind the wheels?

All Model S have wear there because dirt from the tires goes over the bumper. I don't drive on gravel roads and still have a bit of paint fading.

It's not even visible unless you're directly behind and under the car.

Also, the Model S is aluminum.

I have a pearl white 2020 Model S....When I drove for the first time, I noticed a "black" spot building up there on both sides of the car behind the wheel....I put Xpel PPF on the entire bumper....still shows black road grime, but it simply wipes away and the paint is protected too....all the white car have this issue....but when you wash it, it comes right off without having to scrub