Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible to postpone delivery until I see / test drive the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down a deposit relatively early ($2500 era) as my wife's Prius was burning oil and needed to be replaced soon. Unfortunately, replacement time came sooner than later, and we got a Niro EV (which she loves). That left me with a pre-order I didn't want to get rid of, just in case the Model Y is so amazing, I want to replace my LR RWD Model 3.

But until I get to see / sit in / maybe test drive the Model Y, I don't want to trade in my Model 3...for a PYD.

With the Model 3 Reservations, you could sit on it forever. With Model Y pre-orders, from what I remember with my Model 3, once the VIN comes in, you're sort of committed. I'm reluctant to cancel, as I've "locked in" the cheaper FSD price and if deliveries are based on pre-order date (in Los Angeles), then I've got a spot in line.

Anyone know what happens if I don't continue with the purchase, such as not filling in the insurance or payments? Basically, I'd like to defer for a while.

I hear you. I'm getting cold feet too. Not on the purchase or ownership, but on the first out the gate. I'm sure 6/12mo down the road there will be improved options and configuration bundles not currently available. Just look at the M3.

Easily done, when Tesla called me to schedule delivery I indicated that I did not want to take delivery until chrome (shinny) trim and door handles were offered. They guy said no problem and 'pushed it out". Not clear on when my new delivery date will be, keeping in mind it was originally "2021". And I'm in no hurry anyway as I'm already car heavy and the 2021 date is what I was planning for. Regardless, Im now even more happy with this decision as I would like to read / view the reviews and don't want to be a beta tester. Additionally, there appear to be several other EV's that are hitting the market soon that actually look good (and have some chrome bling!)

PB

• Informative
Reactions: Kirbster and jdr93
With the Model 3 Reservations, you could sit on it forever.
With Model Y pre-orders, from what I remember with my Model 3, once the VIN comes in, you're sort of committed.
I'm reluctant to cancel, as I've "locked in" the cheaper FSD price and if deliveries are based on pre-order date (in Los Angeles),
then I've got a spot in line.

Anyone know what happens if I don't continue with the purchase, such as not filling in the insurance or payments? Basically, I'd like to defer for a while.

When you received your Model Y "is coming soon" e-mail last week, did you click on the [ CONFIRM DELIVERY ] button?

If not, I assume your order can stay on hold (and I hope the price will stay unchanged).

I also want to see the car and know more about the tow hitch possible option for the US market.

When you received your Model Y "is coming soon" e-mail last week, did you click on the [ CONFIRM DELIVERY ] button?

If not, I assume your order can stay on hold (and I hope the price will stay unchanged).

I also want to see the car and know more about the tow hitch possible option for the US market.

Didn't get that e-mail yet. Must be the white seats.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Easily done, when Tesla called me to schedule delivery I indicated that I did not want to take delivery until chrome (shinny) trim and door handles were offered. They guy said no problem and 'pushed it out". Not clear on when my new delivery date will be, keeping in mind it was originally "2021".

Based on you preference for chrome I think its safe to say you won't be getting a Model Y unless you decide to use a after market option.

And that's fine, if Tesla can't do what I want then I will order something else.

Tesla need to remember that I am the customer and the "customer wants what the customer wants". They will find theirself self at a competitive disadvantage if they continue to offer very few colors, limited options and continue with the poor communication. A friend of mine just bought an Audi etron, and yes I know the range is not up to the Tesla, it is however a very very nice EV, it looks great and with a range that's more the adequate for his needs.

• Funny
Reactions: qdeathstar
Easily done, when Tesla called me to schedule delivery I indicated that I did not want to take delivery until chrome (shinny) trim and door handles were offered. They guy said no problem and 'pushed it out". Not clear on when my new delivery date will be, keeping in mind it was originally "2021". And I'm in no hurry anyway as I'm already car heavy and the 2021 date is what I was planning for. Regardless, Im now even more happy with this decision as I would like to read / view the reviews and don't want to be a beta tester. Additionally, there appear to be several other EV's that are hitting the market soon that actually look good (and have some chrome bling!)

PB

did they indicate what would happen to your spot in the queue? I don’t want to take delivery till lease is up in September but also don’t want to be without a car

I am in the same boat here - I received a "prepare for delivery" but we are waiting until the fall since we are moving from Seattle to Denver.
I assume I should just ignore the emails and wait to initiate delivery when we are ready.

And that's fine, if Tesla can't do what I want then I will order something else.

Tesla need to remember that I am the customer and the "customer wants what the customer wants". They will find theirself self at a competitive disadvantage if they continue to offer very few colors, limited options and continue with the poor communication. A friend of mine just bought an Audi etron, and yes I know the range is not up to the Tesla, it is however a very very nice EV, it looks great and with a range that's more the adequate for his needs.

Audi eTron is 70K if I am not mistaken. 200 range is no go for me, especially at that price. I do like the look though.