Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I postpone delivery of a Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order and was wondering if I cancelled my order could I use my deposit towards another Tesla at a later date?

if you cancel the order, you lose the order fee. Tesla might let you postpone your order (not cancel) for some amount of time, but they are not going to let you cancel it and keep your money on file.

That fee you paid is not a deposit, by the way. My sound like semantics to you, but its not. Its an order fee, not a deposit.

That fee you paid is not a deposit, by the way. My sound like semantics to you, but its not. Its an order fee, not a deposit.
Glad you said that. I see a lot of people using the word "Deposit" wrongly. "Technically" we lose the $250 whether we buy the car or not because as you say it is not applied toward the purchase. Some other manufacturers like GMC it is actually a deposit applied toward the car purchase.

if you cancel the order, you lose the order fee. Tesla might let you postpone your order (not cancel) for some amount of time, but they are not going to let you cancel it and keep your money on file.

Thanks for the reply, I sort of figured that . I noticed that China is now receiving the new 2024 updated Y and the range is 688km, 250 bucks would be a small price to pay for the 200km of additional range.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I have no idea on what the range standards are in china, so no idea what that actually equals to for other countries, but its interesting information nonetheless.

Doing a bit more searching, I see that the same car that is rated for "688km" in china, is rated at 533km in Australia, due to "being rated under different criteria".

I think the chances of the 2024 model Y being rated at 688km in Canada (where you are, @jege41 ) are virtually zero.
It is all speculation at this point, and I am not very good at predicting the future as my crystal ball has run out of batteries.

It is all speculation at this point, and I am not very good at predicting the future as my crystal ball has run out of batteries.

I feel really really comfortable saying that a 2024 mild refresh is not going to have a EPA range of 420+ miles, or that it is going to be 200km more miles than whatever it is rated in Canada right now.

Reactions: MP3Mike