Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Battery Day - Future of Tesla X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not expecting a Plaid X, as the X chassis differs from the S due to the FW doors and it would require additional engineering above and beyond what has been done on the S to make a Plaid drivetrain work in an X. I don’t think that would be a wise investment in resources for Tesla.

Probably right about plaid, but I do think the Model X, if it continues, will get the new batteries. 500+ miles on an X would be awesome for road trips, especially with higher than the now 200kw maximum.

Cybertruck would seem to have killed any sort of "true" SUV from Tesla, at least for a while. Model X was originally thought of as a cool minivan, not really an SUV. And while Model Y is described as a "crossover," it's really just a medium sized hatchback.

I think the betting game is whether Model X or Model 3 get discontinued first. Yeah, I know most think that's obvious, but having driven every production Tesla so far, the Y and 3 are the closest to each other, and the Y really is a better 3 unless you're all about performance, which most people aren't, and the ones who are should be looking to plaid S or new Roadster anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I will look into used Xs. Any idea where to find them? I have never seen one in my area before so I am assuming they would be tough to find.

They're on Tesla's website, but it's a little cumbersome to search for them there since you have to search by zip code. Best bet is to use ev-cpo.com.

It's also a little cumbersome and confusing until you get used to it, but you can get a list of every used car Tesla has available, and you can filter it to the model and trim you want, as well as features/options you want.

Your best option is to buy from Tesla since you essentially get a new car warranty on vehicles with less than 50k miles, and a 2 year, through 100k warranty on cars with over 50k miles or over 4 years old.

Lastly, avoid buying a Tesla from a 3rd party dealership unless you just don't care to ever buy the extended warranty - Tesla won't sell the extended warranty for a vehicle sold through a 3rd party dealership, no matter how new or how few miles.

It's also a little cumbersome and confusing until you get used to it, but you can get a list of every used car Tesla has available, and you can filter it to the model and trim you want, as well as features/options you want.

You can also try EV-TSLA.com which is a little easier, as well as the EV-CPO Mobile apps on Android and iOS (search for EV-CPO).

I’m not expecting a Plaid X, as the X chassis differs from the S due to the FW doors and it would require additional engineering above and beyond what has been done on the S to make a Plaid drivetrain work in an X. I don’t think that would be a wise investment in resources for Tesla.
The bodies of S and X clearly differ by a lot. The 'skateboards' however don't seem to differ almost anything between S and X. Wouldn't a Plaid Model S skateboard fit pretty neatly under the X body then?

Reactions: rocketdallas
Maybe I had my hope too high but what do you guys think about future of tmx at this point?

Based on the numbers and it's decline in sales do you think the possibility of moving away and stop manufacturing it?

Car is too expensive and overengineered?

I was really hoping to see tmx with new battery from road runner. And what happened with palladium?

Thoughts on that topic?

What a great question haha I definitely question the price but I know 2020 has a lot of highly upgraded gear like MCU2 and more tera operations with autopilot.

If I'm being honest...as if my corny username doesn't give it away, I love the doors. I would have even foregone everything I love about the interior (integrated MCU, instrument panel, moveable AC vents, and glovebox button) of the X to get a Y if the Y had falcon wing doors. There I said it!

What a great question haha I definitely question the price but I know 2020 has a lot of highly upgraded gear like MCU2 and more tera operations with autopilot.

If I'm being honest...as if my corny username doesn't give it away, I love the doors. I would have even foregone everything I love about the interior (integrated MCU, instrument panel, moveable AC vents, and glovebox button) of the X to get a Y if the Y had falcon wing doors. There I said it!

Funny, I'm the opposite. I've grown to hate the doors the more I've had my MX. They are a constant nuisance, failure prone, and slow to open. Rarely do they provide more value than a normal door would. I don't think I've ever thought "wow I'm happy I have these falcon doors" but there have been plenty of times I've been annoyed by them. Also they're flashy and have generated unwanted attention more than once. I generally try to be as nondescript as possible.

All of that to say that I won't be buying another MX unless they get rid of the FWD. So unless there's a huge refresh in the next 2-3 years (unlikely) my next car will most likely be a model Y.

Reactions: cusetownusa
Funny, I'm the opposite. I've grown to hate the doors the more I've had my MX. They are a constant nuisance, failure prone, and slow to open. Rarely do they provide more value than a normal door would. I don't think I've ever thought "wow I'm happy I have these falcon doors" but there have been plenty of times I've been annoyed by them. Also they're flashy and have generated unwanted attention more than once. I generally try to be as nondescript as possible.

All of that to say that I won't be buying another MX unless they get rid of the FWD. So unless there's a huge refresh in the next 2-3 years (unlikely) my next car will most likely be a model Y.
Do you have any kids? They are super practical with kids.

Reactions: Ryshaw