Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2400 miles since delivery Dec 31st. I averaged 240 miles a day for ten days. Absolute joy to road trip.

No significant issues so far.
Driver side Falcon is a little sensitive and needs an override occasionally.
I get a few random things that are easy to clear with a reset or cycle
The car forgets it can change lanes while auto drive is engaged. Turning auto lane change off and on clears the bug.
Second row seats give a not locked error that can be easily resolved by running the seats thru a full cycle. The car can be driven with the warning so it is not a serious problem.
Air foil makes a noticeable clunk when passing thru 47 mph. Minor irritation.
Need the six seat carpet.
Park brake not happy after eight hours of below 32 degree salted wet road running. Has worked fine since.
The air foil stuck in the up position for awhile but cleared after driving in warm rain for a few miles.

So far no problem worth visiting the Service Center to address.

I plan to wait for the next software update then see what issues still exist before bugging the Service Center.

My road trip worked the car hard under a variety of driving conditions. It handled the trip with ease.

On the bright side, the hood is completed. The sanding does help decrease the normal "orange peel" appearance, so I am excited to see how well this turns out.

What about having a paint shop put on a clear coat after the color sanding? I guess with the wrap you are protected but honestly, when you color sand a finish you take away part of the barrier that is the skin of the paint.

2400 miles since delivery Dec 31st. I averaged 240 miles a day for ten days. Absolute joy to road trip.

No significant issues so far.
Driver side Falcon is a little sensitive and needs an override occasionally.
I get a few random things that are easy to clear with a reset or cycle
The car forgets it can change lanes while auto drive is engaged. Turning auto lane change off and on clears the bug.
Second row seats give a not locked error that can be easily resolved by running the seats thru a full cycle. The car can be driven with the warning so it is not a serious problem.
Air foil makes a noticeable clunk when passing thru 47 mph. Minor irritation.
Need the six seat carpet.
Park brake not happy after eight hours of below 32 degree salted wet road running. Has worked fine since.
The air foil stuck in the up position for awhile but cleared after driving in warm rain for a few miles.

So far no problem worth visiting the Service Center to address.

I plan to wait for the next software update then see what issues still exist before bugging the Service Center.

My road trip worked the car hard under a variety of driving conditions. It handled the trip with ease.

Certainly glitchy, yet expected, I suppose! I am happy that you, and others have tried different patches to make things work until your next SC visit. As a prod 4xx VIN, I have mixed feelings. I know I am way at the beginning... and I know that I am WAY AT THE BEGINNING!!!!! It's a mixed bag, no?!?! I want my X yesterday, yet also want them to fix as absolutely many bugs as possible. It's luck of the draw. Some sig S had issues, some are fine to date. As a major fan, I truly hope I can enjoy it as much as possible. That being said, I know it's likely I might have to "endure" a Tesla (S P90D, maybe?) loaner vehicle sometimes (us Tesla folk are quite forgiving on our 150k vehicles, no?... lucky I am in the CA Bay Area, so there's that). As long as I'm treated well, my concerns are addressed, and it's not an absolute, massive, bother, I will be the one in the Costco parking lot with a grin from NY to LA. Amazing ride, and invention/ implementation of future tech... Very fortunate we ALL are!!!! RIGHT?!?!? (On MANY levels).

Last edited:
What about having a paint shop put on a clear coat after the color sanding? I guess with the wrap you are protected but honestly, when you color sand a finish you take away part of the barrier that is the skin of the paint.
The problem, IMHO, is the additional wait time before curing is complete before clear bra wrap could be applied. The amount that is sanded off is a fraction of the surface. The detailer uses optical meters to measure the thickness of the layers. The paint is never touched and the clear coat removed is negligible.

The clear coat doesn't need this treatment if no clear bra wrap is installed. The surface imperfections don't show up as clearly. The clear bra wrap shows the imperfections very clearly, that is why the extra sanding is being done. If Tesla Motors had painted my vehicle with the same quality as recent Model S, this extra step would not be necessary. Since the paint is about two months old, this process works great for the clear wrap that will protect the surface and also have an excellent appearance. i've seen other Tesla vehicles in their completed state, and it can be dramatic in comparison.

I am visiting the detailer tomorrow. I will ask him your question. For many, having Tesla pay for repainting would make them happy financially, but that paint work would be at the local body shop and that is not suggested by the experts or the Service Center. IMHO, it is better to remove the defects, rather than add insult to injury. The proof is in the results, and I already saw the original "orange peel" appearance of the original clear coat. That isn't why the wet sanding is taking place, but according to the detailer, improving that finish is a side benefit to the sanding. Would more clear coat resolve those variations? I doubt it.

One more observation from the detailer during an inspection of the paint last week. It was clear that excess paint had formed at the front corners of the hood after painting. The effect was like a paint drip, but contoured to the corner pointed edge. It's something that the professionals notice, but I didn't notice it and it didn't bother me since it seemed slight.

If you want to test any auto paint surface with a perfect surface, look at the reflections of fluorescent tube lighting in your paint and then compare the reflections of those fluorescent tubes in your windshield.

I understand. Just old school in the older paints actually had a lot of their resistance on the surface layer. Not sure if the compounded acrylics are the same. Also not sure if you get an additive (hardner) what the cure time is now. And how does all of this mix with what I suppose are water base paints Tesla uses. All good questions to discuss.

And yes I was amazed at how much orange peel I saw in some early shots of a red car. I don't think it was your car as it was even earlier then when you got yours. Clear coats should not have anywhere near that much orange peel on a factory applied finish and a real good paint shop should not either. But what happens at a factory with time deadlines is not the same as what a good paint shop can do with unlimited time, and money!

For show cars that rarely see the light of day we block those with 1600-2000 and then polish but they get more attention than ...

But again putting on the warp should negate any issues with removing the 'skin' as you are essentially putting on a new skin with the wrap.

As a follow-up to my post on 1/7 I took delivery of my MX a little over a week ago. Although I feel bad for my stint as a detractor, the long process of SC work before delivery and the avoidable lack of communication took a bite out of my soul. However, in the end Tesla pulled through and delivered a solid product. I've waited until now, after about 400 miles to post. No issues with the items that were repaired prior to delivery and no new issues. A little more road/wind noise than our P85D but overall the car is phenomenal. Besides my P85+ and P85D my previous vehicles were Mercedes S65, SL65, as well as various models of Bentley and Ferrari. Although I"m excited to see what other manufacturers come up with down the road, at this point in time there is no comparison to what Tesla is producing. The overall technology and driving experience is at a different level than any alternative.

As a follow-up to my post on 1/7 I took delivery of my MX a little over a week ago. Although I feel bad for my stint as a detractor, the long process of SC work before delivery and the avoidable lack of communication took a bite out of my soul. However, in the end Tesla pulled through and delivered a solid product. I've waited until now, after about 400 miles to post. No issues with the items that were repaired prior to delivery and no new issues. A little more road/wind noise than our P85D but overall the car is phenomenal. Besides my P85+ and P85D my previous vehicles were Mercedes S65, SL65, as well as various models of Bentley and Ferrari. Although I"m excited to see what other manufacturers come up with down the road, at this point in time there is no comparison to what Tesla is producing. The overall technology and driving experience is at a different level than any alternative.
Excellent to hear! I caught your original post on the official Tesla forums and it sounded like a bit of a nightmare. Really happy to hear you're happy with the X after the fixes and some time to enjoy it!

Cheers!

I picked up F55 yesterday. It completed manufacturing with-in the last two weeks. My DS said this was the first X they had seen that passed the inspection with no defects - "it's perfect!".

I found two issues though - but not enough to not take delivery after waiting for years.

1) The gap on the trunk is different on each side, although the light cluster below is perfect. I checked three other Xs in the back of the service center and they all had similar alignment gap issues (my S does not).

2) With the Pearl White paint, from certain close angles there is a noticeable difference between the paint on the plastic rear bumper and the aluminum panels. Hard to capture on camera. Does the Pearl White S have the same issue?

IMG_3478.jpg
IMG_3479.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg

Picked up my X yesterday. Fit and finish were great. Went to work and the Park setting would not engage and gave a warning that the car could move. By the time I got back with some rocks to put behind the wheels, the Park button began working! Going to get a small set of chucks to carry until I find out if this is going to need to be worked on. Otherwise the car is awesome. Autopilot is amazing, the wife loves it.

2) With the Pearl White paint, from certain close angles there is a noticeable difference between the paint on the plastic rear bumper and the aluminum panels. Hard to capture on camera. Does the Pearl White S have the same issue?

Thanks, Marcus, for the report. I have a Pearl White MS and I don't have the color difference that I see in your photo. In that photo, it appears quite obvious, and mine is truly the same color in any light I look at it. Just as a data point.

Do you plan to return the MX to the SC for the panel gaps?

1) The gap on the trunk is different on each side, although the light cluster below is perfect. I checked three other Xs in the back of the service center and they all had similar alignment gap issues (my S does not).

1. That's a pretty big gap. If Tesla says its within normal tolerances, please let us know because I would be appalled at that response.
2. I can see the color difference on my monitor. It can't be correct.

It does not look like that panel gap can be adjusted. Maybe you could make it the same on both sides but it looks like the gap gets wider on both sides as it nears the back edge. Or is that an optical illusion?

I am surprised at the size of the gap period. I would think it should be 3mm or so and it looks like 8mm or more. Again I cannot really tell because a finger is not a good measurement device. This is why we are abandoning the Imperial system. :smile:

I pulled out a metric ruler. Looks like about 10mm at the worst on the left side, and 5mm on right. Have an email out to the SC on the allowable specs.
Thanks for posting the photos. Here are the left and right side on my teenage VIN car. I was showing the wider gap on the right taillight portion that is okay. The paint gaps are fairly even. Since the vehicle is in for service, I cannot measure today.
IMG_2016.jpg
IMG_2015.jpg

If mine were 5 and 10mm, I would be requesting equal sized paint gaps on both sides. The gradual widening is another topic of discussion.

Keep us informed of the progress.