Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Initial Problems with the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Phone app works the same on the X and the S. My wife is world famous For ending up with my key and her key in her purse. I drive the S and X with the phone app often.

I'm glad this is the case. We've had to use the remote start feature a few times as well. I like the Remote S app's implementation of using TouchID on iOS. It would be great to see Tesla's app do the same in a future release.

I had to drive the X without a working fob. The iPhone app worked perfectly.

On the 23rd there were two groups who took a look at my Model X. All the repairs held up well. One driver door latch issue did prevent the door from being closed for about 20 minutes, it did "heal" itself. Any issues that occasionally occur will come back to haunt you when you least expect it. IMHO, get the SC to take care of the little things before the major cross country road trips.

Tesla Motors Service Center has worked miracles getting parts and completing much of the punch list. Here is a brief mention of issues solved on the second visit: driver door latch, sprung tie down, falcon wing seal, seat side trim replacement, missing anchor cover, floor alignment, 6 seat carpet mat (Yea!), falcon wing door modules, windshield spray/drip, driver door window thunk, passenger door window alignment, and falcon wing sill replacement.

New falcon wing door sensor and the rear seat assembly are still on order. While the process takes time, everything is being handled with the utmost care and concern. Service days are minimal and spaced to my schedule. Tesla Motors is getting things done in time for meet ups with Tesla user groups, that has been greatly appreciated by everyone.

One more thing... The falcon wing door sills can be marred if people step on the sill (the outer dark curved surface). I am continuing to sample products that help prevent scratches. Consider a matte finish clear bra wrap material. A thin carpet mat can help, but must be positioned manually and could slip. Someone will find the right material, and considering the clearance above the sill, it should be a fairly easy task to protect the surface and have it look great.

The X decorative plate next to the sill can get scratches as well. A small rubberized carpet mat works fine for that area. The clear bra protective wrap changes the decorative plate appearance. Someone should have the right protective material that can keep the same great look.

Last edited:
You guys are scaring the crap out of me. Do I need to bring a team of people and a notepad of paper to the SC and inspect and document assembly issues with my MX before I even accept the vehicle? In all seriousness, there is no car too good, nor am I too proud or excited to allow a vehicle to be purchased by me and driven off the lot with some of these errors. I guess I need to prepare myself to be more disappointed than excited?

You guys are scaring the crap out of me. Do I need to bring a team of people and a notepad of paper to the SC and inspect and document assembly issues with my MX before I even accept the vehicle? In all seriousness, there is no car too good, nor am I too proud or excited to allow a vehicle to be purchased by me and driven off the lot with some of these errors. I guess I need to prepare myself to be more disappointed than excited?

I would at least ask to inspect it during the day under natural light given I have read so far.

Hope this helps

Model X Delivery Checklist

For what it's worth, I was at the Springfield SC yesterday and they said that the cars that are coming through now are much better than the early ones, with most of the problems solved at the factory. Fingers crossed.

SMSMD - Thanks. Yes, I have this already. This is my exact point - The owner of a $140K luxury car has to rely upon a multi-page checklist to perform Quality Control of his vehicle, because the manufacturer can't implement basic QA functions to prevent production flaws from having to be identified by the customer.

I have owned many vehicles from a Subaru DL when I was a kid to my most recent MB AMG S63 sedan.

I can't even imagine going to the dealer and saying I want 'that' vehicle and then having to settle for a car who's doors won't open or close correctly, bumpers and body panels are different colors and misaligned. Scratches, dings and nicks to interior and exterior surfaces, windows that may or may not open or shut, and if they do, they make clunking noises. I probably should have found this forum sooner.

I'll stop my rant right now, and just be happy with whatever they decide to give me, if Elon hasn't already gotten mad and banned me from ever owning a Tesla.

Here is to hoping that all these stories are just that - stories, and all Model Xs will be delivered in near-perfect to perfect condition and that our P90D will be delivered soon. lol:smile:

SMSMD - Thanks. Yes, I have this already. This is my exact point - The owner of a $140K luxury car has to rely upon a multi-page checklist to perform Quality Control of his vehicle, because the manufacturer can't implement basic QA functions to prevent production flaws from having to be identified by the customer.

There was a similar checklist for Model S. While I know some quality issues continued to pop up, most of them were resolved early in the MS lifecycle. When I took delivery of my MS in March 2014, I brought the checklist with me, and found nothing wrong with the vehicle.

I wouldn't worry so much. People also have various tolerance levels as far as what they see or don't see (or care about/don't care about). I respect that range of opinions, but I can tell you that I use my cars, so they're going to have some minor cosmetic issues within a month of delivery anyway. I can tell that Mark Z keeps his vehicles pristine, and so he's going to notice (and care more) about things than I might. I absolutely respect that those are important items for him, and they should be. I'm also really glad he reports everything, because there are some people who do care to the same degree. I just filter down to what I'd care about (folding seats, yes / scuff marks on the falcon door threshold, no).

I think it depends on how detail-oriented you are, and how perfect you plan to keep the car after delivery. You might be surprised about how much is right about the vehicle.

...I can tell that Mark Z keeps his vehicles pristine, and so he's going to notice (and care more) about things than I might. I absolutely respect that those are important items for him, and they should be. I'm also really glad he reports everything, because there are some people who do care to the same degree...
One of the reasons I checked the vehicle carefully is that Tesla Motors checks the vehicle when I bring it into service. Better to know any physical defects during delivery for them to fix rather than skip checking and have it marked on the form during the first service call.

This is similar to renting a car. If I don't point out every little scratch, missing paint or dent when picking up the car, the rental company could ask my insurance company to pay for those defects when the car is returned. I sometime take photos of those defects so I know that it did happen before. Excessive concern? You bet! I hate spending the time to do it, but no one pulls a fast one when you're observant.

I also check purchases when comparing products for best condition. It started with LaserDiscs when I saw that some label spines had their titles offset. I looked across the edges in a stack of discs and picked the disc that was printed correctly. That continues today with Blu-ray discs where some packaging is in better condition than others in the stack. Worse is when Target places the Blu-ray in a plastic lock box that crushes the outer slipcover. Paying attention to detail can result in better quality with any purchase. I would hope that everyone does some comparison checking when choosing produce at the supermarket.

OT: I don't excessively wash a car to keep it pristine. Spot cleaning and touchless washing when needed decreases the scratches that occur in the usual car washing process.

Last edited:
I also check purchases when comparing products for best condition. It started with LaserDiscs when I saw that some label spines had their titles offset. I looked across the edges in a stack of discs and picked the disc that was printed correctly. That continues today with Blu-ray discs where some packaging is in better condition than others in the stack. Worse is when Target places the Blu-ray in a plastic lock box that crushes the outer slipcover. Paying attention to detail can result in better quality with any purchase. I would hope that everyone does some comparison checking when choosing produce at the supermarket.

I hope you didn't take offense, as I certainly didn't mean it that way. My point was (and is) that people care about these things at different intensities for various reasons. Your produce example is great - I do care about the quality of my produce quite a bit, so I'm a pain at the farmer's market or even in my own garden. My wife believes that when you buy a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano that you shouldn't dare consider selecting one with a rind. Hunt and find one that's been cut and wrapped rind-free. There are some things that don't register on my scale of worry, though, and that's the point I was trying to make.

I hope you didn't take offense, as I certainly didn't mean it that way. My point was (and is) that people care about these things at different intensities for various reasons...
Absolutely no offense taken. You over complemented me on keeping the vehicles perfect, but that's okay, it's the reason I put in the car wash comment.

One of the reasons for posting is to let others know they are not alone in having defects or issues with their Model X at delivery. Posting the results of the work at the Service Center will give confidence to those who are concerned. Most of all, I hope that no one accepts a problem that should be made right. Make a list or have the Service Center write down your requests. While some issues may be "normal", there are others that may seem normal, but need attention.

I doubt if Tesla Motors would have noticed the extra gap between the two windows on the passenger side front door. I showed them the gap, and it was fixed. They were bothered by it as well. It only showed up when the door was open. The final window rise seals the gap, but that isn't the answer. The gap needed adjustment so it didn't exist at any time. Tesla Motors didn't ignore it, they adjusted it to the right setting and it looks and operates as it should.

This thread is very helpful! I mean this sincerely, Mark Z - thank you for "taking one for the team"! It's unfortunate your Model X had to have so many issues, but by letting other owners know what to look for, you've made it so much easier for us to be prepared when we take our own delivery! Hopefully Tesla has improved its QC by taking your observations to heart, and that'll mean my own X won't have nearly so many issues. It takes some courage to be an early adopter, so thank you!

...Hopefully Tesla has improved its QC by taking your observations to heart...
I appreciate the thanks, It wouldn't be right to have a teenage VIN and not share the good, what's missing and the eventual completion of the goals.

Someone at Tesla Motors asked the service manager for my list to show at Fremont. Since the SC had a backup list, the 45 item list with a photo for each item has hopefully provided quality control with some early history. The list also helped provide input for a TMC forum checklist when taking delivery or examining Model X after delivery.

This thread is very helpful! I mean this sincerely, Mark Z - thank you for "taking one for the team"! It's unfortunate your Model X had to have so many issues, but by letting other owners know what to look for, you've made it so much easier for us to be prepared when we take our own delivery! Hopefully Tesla has improved its QC by taking your observations to heart, and that'll mean my own X won't have nearly so many issues. It takes some courage to be an early adopter, so thank you!

Other X owners will not have any problems. Mark Z has used up them all. :wink: