Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finalizing a system for SE PA. My annual usage is around 22kWh. I do not want any panels on the front of the house, so this is biggest I can go on the rear.

Rear roof faces WSW and has zero shading.

PVWatts has me around 14,649 kWh/Year.

Only issue with Tesla has been trying to get them to release the SREC provision. Been told multiple times they will not issue any contracts without them buying SREC's, if available at the installation address. Here they are trading historically around $25-$28/each. Not a deal breaker, as forgoing the credits still nets me out far cheaper than some of the other local solar system quotes I have received.

Solar Layout.jpg

14.85 kW and 2 PW (for now). Currently waiting on PTO.

View attachment 648034
I haven't seen discussion here about making small adjustments to roof details in order to maximize the solar layout. The example above might just be the poster child. How hard would it be, especially given that this entire roof is being replaced... to shift 3 tiny vent pipes to a location that wouldn't interfere with solar panels? I even wonder if they could be moved to a non-shingled side of a house to avoid solar/roof conflict entirely. It seems silly that we give these things such a wide berth, when it might be quick work for a roofer and maybe a plumber to scoot them out of the way. Has anyone inquired about this during their estimate or installation?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I removed two vent pipes (combining 2 vent stacks with existing vent on other side of roof). It required coordination with a plumber and roofer (NOT trivial), and finding a roofer to do that small patch job was very difficult. Cost me about $1100 total. Worth it if looks or power production is important, otherwise don't bother.

Tesla will not move vents or install over them. You must get your own contractors and provide photo proof to Tesla that the vents are gone before they will update your layout design.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
I haven't seen discussion here about making small adjustments to roof details in order to maximize the solar layout. The example above might just be the poster child. How hard would it be, especially given that this entire roof is being replaced... to shift 3 tiny vent pipes to a location that wouldn't interfere with solar panels? I even wonder if they could be moved to a non-shingled side of a house to avoid solar/roof conflict entirely. It seems silly that we give these things such a wide berth, when it might be quick work for a roofer and maybe a plumber to scoot them out of the way. Has anyone inquired about this during their estimate or installation?
Yes it is possible but we chose to not do it. Cost and minimal production wasn’t worth it. Our house was a new construction so I wish we had asked the builder to bring everything out the side initially but we did not know to do this and this was the first Tesla Solar Roof our builder did. Many on here have moved them on a roof replacement and I saw 1 YouTube video who installed a Tesla Solar Roof on a new construction and planned for it in advance by having all vents come out the side of the attic instead of out the top.

Reactions: Enginerd
Here is my set up.
16kw system with 48 panels and 2 inverters. PTO given March 18th. Front of the house faces almost directly south.

Weather has been very erratic here recently, so have had wild swings in production. Sunny days have gotten me 88-90kwh. A couple overcast days have been 0. Should get great production over the summer as the roof has pretty much zero shade.

The panels are mostly on the Front of the house, but it looks nice enough.Also, the fact that the panels cover most of the front main roof it looks like they are just the roof. It looks seamless from the ground. Second photo shows image from project solar page. As you can see front of the house was really the only option that made sense from a production standpoint.

Video_6553615_DJI_15_mp4_12094035_2000_2021322193014_photo_preview.jpg

Screenshot_6.jpg

Here is my set up.
16kw system with 48 panels and 2 inverters. PTO given March 18th. Front of the house faces almost directly south.

Weather has been very erratic here recently, so have had wild swings in production. Sunny days have gotten me 88-90kwh. A couple overcast days have been 0. Should get great production over the summer as the roof has pretty much zero shade.

The panels are mostly on the Front of the house, but it looks nice enough.Also, the fact that the panels cover most of the front main roof it looks like they are just the roof. It looks seamless from the ground. Second photo shows image from project solar page. As you can see front of the house was really the only option that made sense from a production standpoint.

View attachment 650996
View attachment 650997
So, I see it looks like you also put some on the north side? I am trying to decide if any value. to adding to north side

So, I see it looks like you also put some on the north side? I am trying to decide if any value. to adding to north side
You can use sites such as PVWatts to calculate how much those panels could produce. We added 4 kW facing northwest a year after installing our first solar system even though we knew it would take longer before we would break even on them. While they help increase our solar production year-round, they really help us send more back to the grid during peak periods for about 8-9 months of the year.

You can use sites such as PVWatts to calculate how much those panels could produce. We added 4 kW facing northwest a year after installing our first solar system even though we knew it would take longer before we would break even on them. While they help increase our solar production year-round, they really help us send more back to the grid during peak periods for about 8-9 months of the year.
I understand NW. But he has a set north. Just trying to collect data.

I tried play with some numbers. Interesting. Was what I expected. But for me, North is not zero, and actually has less shading than my south facing because of neighbors trees.

I tried play with some numbers. Interesting. Was what I expected. But for me, North is not zero, and actually has less shading than my south facing because of neighbors trees.
Yeah, I don't think north facing will ever be zero unless it was on a really steep roof, surrounded by tall buildings, etc.

For the 4 kW system we added that faces 315 degrees, it's expected to produce about 4087 kWh per year. The same panels would produce 6004 kWh if they were facing due south. If they were facing 0 degrees, the expected solar production would only decrease to 3866 kWh per year. That's a measurable decrease, but still way more than 0 kWh. 😎

The slope of the roof can make a huge difference as well. For example, if a north facing roof had a different slope, it might be able to produce more than a steeper roof facing northwest.

Yeah, I don't think north facing will ever be zero unless it was on a really steep roof, surrounded by tall buildings, etc.

For the 4 kW system we added that faces 315 degrees, it's expected to produce about 4087 kWh per year. The same panels would produce 6004 kWh if they were facing due south. If they were facing 0 degrees, the expected solar production would only decrease to 3866 kWh per year. That's a measurable decrease, but still way more than 0 kWh. 😎

The slope of the roof can make a huge difference as well. For example, if a north facing roof had a different slope, it might be able to produce more than a steeper roof facing northwest.
Thanks, makes sense. I am trying to balance adding panels, cost, NEM3 coming, only going back to PGE asking for amount they will approve, etc. With 2 11.4K inverters, I can have 3 string, and I believe 18 panels per string. If so, I could put on over 100 panels. But to do this, I would have to put some north facing.
So, just have to see how all these options line up. I figure if I do not do this year, NEM3 hits and I could not afford to do it under that

We have 4+ Kw of our 12 kW coming off North facing roof. We only have south (182 degrees) and North (002 degrees) roof surfaces. North facing only seems to produce a lot from late April until October.
Thanks. Sure love this site. Great education!! Now I have new things to look at when I get my new solar proposal to add more panels. If it were not for the
NEM3 coming, would probably not consider spending the money. But, ....

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 2.41.56 PM.png

Front of house faces due north. I was told I was not allowed to keep my TRECs in NJ. I'm not all that upset about it because I got 4 other estimates and they were all close to double the pre-incentive price. Anyone have thoughts on if I should ask for more panels in the back? Someone from Tesla energy spent over half a day here doing a home survey since it was new construction and the satellites haven't caught up yet.

I was going to ask to switch to a "subscription" but they said I don't have enough efficiency.

View attachment 651122

Front of house faces due north. I was told I was not allowed to keep my TRECs in NJ. I'm not all that upset about it because I got 4 other estimates and they were all close to double the pre-incentive price. Anyone have thoughts on if I should ask for more panels in the back? Someone from Tesla energy spent over half a day here doing a home survey since it was new construction and the satellites haven't caught up yet.

I was going to ask to switch to a "subscription" but they said I don't have enough efficiency.
9K+ credit. Wow. Wish that we had something like that in California.

To answer some of the questions.
There are 48 340w panels on 2 Delta inverters 15.36KwAC combined. I did not get powerwalls as the longest I have been without power in the 20yrs I have lived in this house has been 1d. I think the reason is that my house is near a major hospital. I always assumed that we are on the same grid, so we get back on line when they do.
I did think about other options, but this was the best set up for the amount of panels I needed to offset the most amount of my monthly electric bill. The pitch of my roof is fairly shallow, so the north side still gets a fair amount of sunlight.
I was able to keep my SRECs as I told them I was not agreeing to sell them to Tesla. I got no push back at all, so perhaps is a newer policy. My original contract was signed in September. Unfortunately, SRECs are only $25-$28 in PA currently. I hope they go up, but even if I can collect $500 a year, that will offset a decent chunk of the cost over the life of the panels.

This is my proposed plan from tesla. All south facing roofs are shaded. Main house panels are on the 2nd story with zero shade. Does anyone know how many panels tesla will be able to add to this design using only the surfaces currently utilized? I count maybe 6? Two on main house four on garage?

Attachments

• 6C8115E1-6FA5-4714-95E2-E61FE679836A.jpeg
    6C8115E1-6FA5-4714-95E2-E61FE679836A.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 9607038E-481B-43CC-A9F5-506277D9B9DB.jpeg
    9607038E-481B-43CC-A9F5-506277D9B9DB.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 50