Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my proposed layout (north is up). Tesla says the estimated year 1 production is 9110 kWh I'm concerned with having panels facing in three different directions. I assume I'll get the Tesla inverter - does "four maximum power point trackers" mean that it can handle this well? Is 9110 kWh low for 24 panels?

9110 kWh is a bit low for 24 panels. PVWatts estimates around or over 10000 kWh even for purely east or west arrays with 45 degree tilt.

Maybe you have a lot of shade from trees or neighbors and or/very steep roof?

Perfect!

1615354321663.png

Reactions: JeremyWhaling
9110 kWh is a bit low for 24 panels. PVWatts estimates around or over 10000 kWh even for purely east or west arrays with 45 degree tilt.

Maybe you have a lot of shade from trees or neighbors and or/very steep roof?
Yes, I have a big tree out in front (shading from the south 😢), but that shouldn't affect the east facing group at all, and would only affect SOME of the west and south facing panels. I'm hanging my hat on the sentiment here that the Tesla projections are usually low 🤞.

Any thoughts or suggestions on this layout (north is up and the part of the house on the bottom right is a 2nd story).

I was hoping they were going to be able to fit more on the south facing roof but I guess the setback requirements prevent that. It seems like they could possibly fit one more panel on the south though..

I am a bit torn about the north facing panels. They will produce less in the winter when we will already be under producing but in the summer they will produce about the same as the other panels and produce later in the afternoon than the east facing panels.

I also wonder why they don't place the panels on the west facing first floor roof, but maybe it gets shaded enough in the morning by the second story?
1616345602936.png

Any thoughts or suggestions on this layout (north is up and the part of the house on the bottom right is a 2nd story).

I was hoping they were going to be able to fit more on the south facing roof but I guess the setback requirements prevent that. It seems like they could possibly fit one more panel on the south though..

I am a bit torn about the north facing panels. They will produce less in the winter when we will already be under producing but in the summer they will produce about the same as the other panels and produce later in the afternoon than the east facing panels.

I also wonder why they don't place the panels on the west facing first floor roof, but maybe it gets shaded enough in the morning by the second story?
View attachment 646642
Have you put your address into this and see what it looks like?

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I am on my 3rd iteration with Tesla with my 12.24 kW system design.

Iteration 1: Majority of the panels were placed on the front of the house which is south facing. I asked if they could remove the panels from the front left of our house because they would be way to visible there, but they would be okay to keep the panels on the front right of the house that is hidden by some peaks as you drive up to our house.

Iteration 2: All panels were placed to the back of our house which is north facing. (Made zero sense.)

Iteration 3: Placed 8 panels on front right as I originally asked, and 14 panels on our back which are mostly east / west facing. The remaining 14 panels the placed on the back, north facing roof again.

I once again asked that they they don't place any on the back of the house and asked if they could place more on the ESE part of our house like was proposed by another solar company.

Here is the Tesla design.

Screenshot 2021-03-21 at 10.36.46 PM.png

Here is the design from Freedom Solar that shows our sun intensities.

Jim Mulholland Design.png

Any ideas on why Tesla refuses to add panels to the ESE part of our roof? The sun is good over there and it would also be almost completely hidden as you drive up to our house which my wife is a fan of. :)

My guess would be that there are too many roof obstructions there. It also looks like Freedom Solar is using 2 different sized panels.
That's my guess, too. There are a lot of roof jacks on that long strip. There are not any on that small triangle where Freedom placed 3. I would think they would be able to get 3 or 4 over there especially since it is so close to the 8 they have in the front.

At this point, I may just have them move the 14 on the back to the WNW side and call it a day. They had 14 over there on one of their original designs. My hesitation is that, according to PVWatts, that side of the house is about 78% as efficient as the opposite side of the house. PVWatts shows me getting 395 kWh/year/panel on the ESE side versus 306 kWh/year/panel on the WNW side. (The NNE side is estimated at 203 kWh/year/panel.) We don't have any big trees, so neither side will have any major obstructions though I do have a 1-story neighbor on the ESE side that will impact some sun in the early morning.

I emailed my Tesla project manager again asking if there is anything we can do.

Left is west facing.

Any suggestions on my layout?
I believe they can put 4 rows on solar west facing instead of putting any east facing. My neighbor's house has 4 rows of panels, but I do not know if it's Tesla. I'd like to see if more than 5 panels can be put south facing as well.

Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 6.54.55 PM.png

Left is west facing.

Any suggestions on my layout?
I believe they can put 4 rows on solar west facing instead of putting any east facing. My neighbor's house has 4 rows of panels, but I do not know if it's Tesla. I'd like to see if more than 5 panels can be put south facing as well.

View attachment 648045
Looks like you can fit 2 more panels S-facing and should be able to do 4-rows on the W-facing array. If there's room to shift the W-facing array to the east (towards the ridge), you should be able to complete the top row. Here, at least, there only needs to be a 1-ft. walkway for the ridge.

Get up on your roof and get some actual measurements to provide Tesla.

Reactions: tfan2018