Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Tone audio settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Post yours
Any better settings?
I always learned that the smiley face setting is the best
IMG_4953.jpeg

There is no "best" as each of us have our own flavor of how we want to listen to music. Also, not all settings will sound good or all types of music. A setting for a pop song will be totally crappy for an instrumental, or a country song, etc.

I use the typical "V" formation for my EQ settings (similar to what you have). I am by no means an audiophile but as someone who mostly listens to pop/dance/EDM music, it suits my needs well

I also set immersive to high.
Thanks, this is a useful. I appreciate it.

There is no "best" as each of us have our own flavor of how we want to listen to music. Also, not all settings will sound good or all types of music. A setting for a pop song will be totally crappy for an instrumental, or a country song, etc.
okay so what is your setting for your music?

For me, it sounds best mostly flat with +3 on the highest treble. Sometime a little bass cut is needed to avoid muddiness depending on the music. I think it's a great sounding system overall and is not much improved with equalization to my ears.

For me, it sounds best mostly flat with +3 on the highest treble. Sometime a little bass cut is needed to avoid muddiness depending on the music. I think it's a great sounding system overall and is not much improved with equalization to my ears.

I listen to music at low volume, so I needed to increase the bass to at least feel or hear it. As for other settings, you see that the treble is set at +3 as you suggested. The rest are almost close to 0 (they are set at +1). The mid range, honestly I found my music to sound better with slightly lower mid range which is true in almost every other car I had especially when u increase the treble and bass.

What is the reason u set the bass too low? Do. Listen to music at high volume?

Based on the screenshot, this looks like a standard (non-premium) audio system. These cars do not have a subwoofer or immersive audio settings. I recently had a loaner 75D without premium audio and while the output wasn't bad by any means, I found it to be somewhat flat. I found that dialing up the bass too high caused distortion in some cases.

Reactions: David Harvey
Here’s mine. Dropping the bass seemed to clean up the sound for me. Mid bass needed a bump with a bass getting pulled down. Still plenty of bass with these settings. It’s been suggested that boosting all is not a good move, you should also drop some of them to keep the adjustments above and below “flat” to prevent things from getting too far out of whack. I used an Apple Music playlist of song’s I’m very familiar with listening to. Not perfect, but everyone’s preferences and ears are different. I haven’t heard many systems that sound great when EQ’d flat. My QSC K10’s are a rare exception. The DSP processing in those makes a huge difference in sound quality. They are technically EQ’d by the factory to fix the bumps and valleys that you would normally have to fix yourself with an EQ.

This could get a better, but the curve would keep roughly the same shape. Might add a bit a treble, but too much makes things harsh pretty quick.
IMG_1473.jpeg

Interesting… I’ve always heard that the V shaped is the most recommended one..
It really depends on the music type, personal preference, and every individual stereo's processing signal/filters. I've got a base sound system in our 2013 S and sometimes it sounds just fine and other times it's very muddy and flat. I'm at a point where I'm looking into tapping into the speaker lines and adding a DSP/amplifier, changing the front speakers to a decent set of 8" components, and adding some sound deadening materials.

Coincidently, Tesla dropped a video today about their sound systems.

I agree with maximizese. Music type and preference are really what it comes down to. What works for me, you might not like. My previous 2015 Model S had the base sound system too and the EQ settings were quite different than what I'm using now. I was close to installing a JBL MS8 and upgrading the front speakers. There's probably something better than the MS8 now, but at the time it was a pretty slick setup for taking a mediocre factory system to the next level.

The V shaped EQ seems to be a popular starting point for a lot of people, everywhere, I see it a lot. It's highly unlikely that one V shaped EQ curve sounds best on all systems. I'm giving Tesla a bit more credit here. I think they did a pretty good job with the premium sound systems in these cars. The 5 band EQ is way better than just a bass and treble adjustment, but a few more bands would be useful for those of us who care. Take a look at the frequency response graph from this guy's laptop. It's got a peak at around 60hz. I think this is for the Model Y, but it may give us a hint on how the sound engineers might be tuning all of Tesla sound systems. Those tiny bumps in the graph aren’t really fixable by anyone but the Telsa DSP tuning engineer. I believe their goal was to make this frequency response graph as close to a flat line a possilbe using the "Tessie" dummy with microphones for ears. Then, after using Tessie for the automated DSP correction they mention tuning it to their liking.

IMG_1476.jpeg

Curious, I tried the settings the OP posted. That didn't work well for my tastes, but it might be great for you. Unless you listen to the same EDM track across a lot of different systems, how to you know what an EDM track is supposed to sound like? For me, without listening to a real human voice or instruments, I'm not sure how you would be able to tune in what sounds right. You really need something to reference when making adjustments. What sounds “best” is truly subjective and it will change between songs, recording studios and sound engineers and the listener. All settings will have some compromises depending on what you're listening to but in general I don't think they should be drastically different. I typically listen at higher volumes than most people. I haven't really tried tuning the EQ at anything below 5, I'm usually listening at 6 minimum with 8-9 being an average volume. I also make sure it still sounds good at 11. Maybe that's why I think there is too much bass? The low end very well may be lacking at lower volumes so Tesla gave it a bit of a bump. To my ears, older recordings tend to be quieter and have more dynamic range. Newer recordings are all louder and really don't use the much of the dynamic range that digital formats like CD really took advantage of in the 90's. MP3's killed dynamic range in the 00's. Most modern mixing and mastering seem to just push up the volume to right below clipping and they call it good.

I did put in more than few hours of listening and testing different EQ settings. I listened my "special playlist" of well recorded favorite tracks while parked in the garage with the HVAC off. Enough time, that I remember my wife complaining about it on multiple occasions. I also turned off immersive sound when dialing in the EQ, then turned it on afterwards to benefit from the improved imaging it provides. I haven't really listened close enough to the different immersive settings to have a strong preference for one. I just set it auto, but I'm not sure if it changes dynamically or it just sets it to between off and standard like it shows on the screen.

If crowd sourcing the best EQ settings is the goal, we should all pick and listen to the same songs, using the same sources at around the same volume. Then we can report back what we think sounds best and compare notes. Any takers?