Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Travel trailer that you tow with your Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the electrical connection at the hitch is to trigger your trailer brake lights when your in-car brake controller activates them, and if you add a rear-facing camera to your trailer you need to wire it into the trailers electrical system.

Years ago I found some clamp-on extendable side mirrors on Amazon (sorry, do not recall the brand) that I keep in my X in case the rearview camera I added to my trailer fails, but so far it has not. However, for a variety of reasons I don’t recommend the camera I bought. See the bottom of this page to read what I think about it.
I was asking about the camera power source as the newer Y's (and the rest of Tesla's range I believe) use Li-Ion low voltage batteries and the 12v "aux" line at the hitch is not currently functional (tested at the dealership before we picked up). All the other connections work (lights, brake controller, etc) so things are safe to drive, but if the camera doesn't pull directly from the RV's battery, then it would rely on that 12v connection to the car, and I'd be SOL on a review camera....

That being said, I'll look at the camera so I know what not to get. 🤣

We’re using the Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero 3 on our Y and would fully recommend them! Once you have your method of installation dialed they are quick and easy to take off / put on and make the difference beteeen seeing or not seeing that truck coming up in the lane next to you…a must have IMO!
Here’s a link but will probably go to Amazon Canada but will show you the product
Dometic DM-2899 Milenco Aero3... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01C7P7EOU?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I'll take a look at that product - hopefully there's some place where I can get them that isn't Amazon, as I have avoided ordering anything from/through them for close to the last 10 years...

I was asking about the camera power source as the newer Y's (and the rest of Tesla's range I believe) use Li-Ion low voltage batteries and the 12v "aux" line at the hitch is not currently functional (tested at the dealership before we picked up). All the other connections work (lights, brake controller, etc) so things are safe to drive, but if the camera doesn't pull directly from the RV's battery, then it would rely on that 12v connection to the car, and I'd be SOL on a review camera
My apologies, I should have better understood your post. Thanks for expanding on what you wrote.

I think it is pretty typical to wire a trailer rearview camera into the RV’s battery. At least that is what I did. Should be no worries that way.

My apologies, I should have better understood your post. Thanks for expanding on what you wrote.

I think it is pretty typical to wire a trailer rearview camera into the RV’s battery. At least that is what I did. Should be no worries that way.
No worries, sometimes text communications don't get the idea across.... weird, I know.

Luckily, my trailer is pre-wired for a backup cam, just have to order it and hook it up.

I have a question. Every supercharger I've ever been to was a back-in. It seems like dropping the trailer every time you need to charge would just make having to charge twice as often a real pain. And in, say, the mountains of western North Carolina, where there are not enough chargers to begin with, range anxiety would be a very real issue. Are you folks seeing any drive-through Tesla Superchargers anywhere?

I spotted a Model Y towing a Rove LIte travel trailer at the supercharger in Charton, MA. Did not have an opportunity to speak to the owner but looks interesting.

Rove Lite - Travel Lite Trailers
It isn't the weight that affect range, it is aerodynamics. With the sharp vertical edges up front, these trailers are a poor choice. More like a Casita or Scamp is what you want for better range.

But, yes, we are seeing more pull ins, even if it's just the middle two so you can block the unoccupied side of a Supercharger w/o dropping your rig. Also, some new ones that are pull behind, where you take all the parking spaces behind a row of posts, or pull thru where there is a big space for you and your rig and a single charger, or groupings where two three or four chargers are stacked requiring people to pull thru and stop at the one that best fits their needs, or multiple cars can pull into or back into the same column of chargers and charge. Will be interesting to see how they figure out which is the best design. I even saw sites where one space is extra wide for a CyberTruck assumably, but the rest were normal second door stop width apart.

It seems like dropping the trailer every time you need to charge would just make having to charge twice as often a real pain.
I’ve towed my Safari Condo Alto over 10K miles in the past 6 years and Supercharging is not a “pain”. It takes me about 2 minutes to unhitch and 3 minutes to hitch up. I can always find a place to do that very close to where the Superchargers are.

It’s no big deal.

I’ve towed my Safari Condo Alto over 10K miles in the past 6 years and Supercharging is not a “pain”. It takes me about 2 minutes to unhitch and 3 minutes to hitch up. I can always find a place to do that very close to where the Superchargers are.

It’s no big deal.
I haven't been towing anywhere near as long (only this year, in fact), but I second this. My wife and I have unhitching & re-hitching down to a science for our charging stops - and that's without a powered tongue jack!

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
We've been towing an Intech Sol Dawn behind our MYLR, off-and-on for about a year, including a round trip from Seattle to Scottsdale, and several trips out to the Olympic Peninsula. Yes, pull-in or pull-through stalls at SuperChargers make charging go smoother, but as @VandalSibs points out, unhitching and rehitching is no big deal, especially after practicing 3-4 times a day during a long haul.

Plans for this year include trailering to visit relatives in Michigan, and points in between. Hitching is not a concern, but there are a couple of worrisome areas which may not offer adequate charging locations when our range has been halved. Wish us luck!

Isn't that RIGHT at the GVWR line for the Model Y? I keep seeing people talk about wanting to tow something that isn't taxing your tow vehicle to it's limits
If you're talking about the inTech Sol Dawn, mine clocks in at about 2,700lbs dry, and my wife and I don't overload it in any way. Within the tow rating for a Model Y for sure - about 800 lbs under it, in fact.