Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Posts about locals charging at Superchargers: complain here! :-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember someone said that in marketing, the most powerful word to use is "Free". I don't know if that's true or not because I am an engineer. But I know the "free" is very powerful in the office kitchen for engineers. If it is "free", people will eat it!

One of the supercharger near by usually have empty spots open, but you will always see model 3's charging at the "free" EV chargers in the same parking lot.

I remember someone said that in marketing, the most powerful word to use is "Free". I don't know if that's true or not because I am an engineer. But I know the "free" is very powerful in the office kitchen for engineers. If it is "free", people will eat it!
I once had a checker at a Safeway offer me something for “free”; some sort of edible substance wrapped in a package. It looked like junk to me, not what I call “food”. I declined. The checker said “but it’s free!”. I said “I don’t care.”

You are right, labeling something as “free” can cause people to lose their capacity for rational analysis. Even engineers. ;)

Eventually only a small fraction of the Tesla fleet will have free unlimited Supercharging, and it won’t be a problem. Right now it can be an issue at some Superchargers.

Last edited:
There are other charge points you can use. Tesla SC’s are there for people making long trips not for locals to clog them up.

Wrong!

Supercharging Cities

Now, as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers, starting with downtown Chicago and Boston.

Now one can argue if some of these chargers are "city center" chargers, but they clearly call out the can't charge at home or workplace scenario.

Reactions: Tzebra and ecarfan
Hot topic. I own a HPWC that is sitting in a storage box since my landlord sold the house I was living in. I live in an apartment with no charging. I now have to charge at my destinations. I supplement that with SuperCharging when needed. Fact of life. Get over it.

Reactions: TT97
You can’t say it’s cheaper and then give me the highest rate. What about off peak?
Agreed, that is very misleading. If anything, given the ease of using the GPS-aware charging function built into the car, one should compare to the LOWEST rates. I charge at home, with the car aware that it is to start charging at 12:01 am. 9 cents per kWh on the EV-TOU5 plan from SDG&E.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid and AMPd
Agreed, that is very misleading. If anything, given the ease of using the GPS-aware charging function built into the car, one should compare to the LOWEST rates. I charge at home, with the car aware that it is to start charging at 12:01 am. 9 cents per kWh on the EV-TOU5 plan from SDG&E.
The 9 cents is a little misleading too. There is a $16 flat fee that you have to pay every month. How does the $16 change your cost per kWh? I'm curious since I haven't changed to TOU5 yet. I'm still on the tiered plan...

The 9 cents is a little misleading too. There is a $16 flat fee that you have to pay every month. How does the $16 change your cost per kWh? I'm curious since I haven't changed to TOU5 yet. I'm still on the tiered plan...
That $16 applies to all my electric usage, not just charging the car. Difference between TOU2 and TOU5 at super off peak = 23 cents per kWh vs. 9 cents per kWh. That's a savings of 14 cents per kWh. My last bill showed 503 kWh of super off-peak usage, due primarily to charging the car between 12:01 am and about 1:30 am. That's a $70 difference (503 x 0.14). So by paying that $16, I'm actually coming out ahead by $54 (vs. TOU2, which is what I used to have).

My bill also showed a total kWh usage of about 750. So $16 / 750 = about 2.1 cents per kWh regardless of time of use.

So to be completely accurate we are talking 11.1 cents per kWh. Still a helluva deal compared to both supercharging (if you have to pay for it) and any other TOU plan and a far cry from the highest on-peak TOU rate of 53 cents per kWh, or even the 41 cents per kWh someone quoted earlier in this thread.

I'd recommend making the switch to TOU5. $16 works out to 53 cents per day. Negligible compared to the savings.

Last edited:
I will use my local Superchargers if I need to top off and there is no one waiting. I usually got between 6-7 AM and there is no line or any other cars. But sometimes there is one car there with the windows fogged over that looks like it has been there overnight.

So to be completely accurate we are talking 11.1 cents per kWh. Still a helluva deal compared to both supercharging and any other TOU plan and a far cry from the highest on-peak TOU rate of 53 cents per kWh, or even the 41 cents per kWh someone quoted earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately for us in PG&E (NorCal) 0.25 is the cheap Non-EV (I work from home) rate with a near 0.50 peak rate in summer.

That $16 applies to all my electric usage, not just charging the car. Difference between TOU2 and TOU5 at super off peak = 23 cents per kWh vs. 9 cents per kWh. That's a savings of 14 cents per kWh. My last bill showed 503 kWh of super off-peak usage, due primarily to charging the car between 12:01 am and about 1:30 am. That's a $70 difference (503 x 0.14). So by paying that $16, I'm actually coming out ahead by $54 (vs. TOU2, which is what I used to have).

My bill also showed a total kWh usage of about 750. So $16 / 750 = about 2.1 cents per kWh regardless of time of use.

So to be completely accurate we are talking 11.1 cents per kWh. Still a helluva deal compared to both supercharging (if you have to pay for it) and any other TOU plan and a far cry from the highest on-peak TOU rate of 53 cents per kWh, or even the 41 cents per kWh someone quoted earlier in this thread.

I'd recommend making the switch to TOU5. $16 works out to 53 cents per day. Negligible compared to the savings.
Thanks for the info! I'll have to check out TOU5 soon...

I got a used Tesla with free supercharging and I only charge at my local Supercharger. I am about a mile away, and my HOA is being a pain in the ass about installing an outlet. I go around 10-11pm and there are always open stalls and nobody ever has to wait for me. I don't see the harm in that. Free supercharging was one of the reasons I bought a pre-owned S instead of a new 3.

Yeah don't see how this is a problem. Whining about people utilizing the free supercharging they were given when they bought the car. Of all the nerve of some people....!!! Maybe you should go park your car in a supercharger spot in protest so people can't use it, or go buy a big diesel pick up truck and then park in a supercharger spot...that will show them. Love how people always get bent out of shape when life doesn't work their way......