Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential 70D customer - UK charging/range question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,Went for a test drive in an 85D recently and its blown me away. I could only afford a 70D so thats what I am looking at.How long does it take to charge in the real world from a standard 240v plug and what are the other options? Whats the cost to charge it unto 90%?It says 275miles range on the Tesla website but most reviews quote a standard 240 miles. Whats the real world use like in the UK for town to town driving of say 80 miles round trip as thats mostly what my journeys are?Thanks and hopefully I can join the Tesla owners club soon!!

How long it takes to charge depends on what kind of power you can give to it. If you can only give a standard 16A @ 240V, it's going to take much longer (roughly 24 hours from completely empty) than if you can give it 32A 3-phase (roughly 4 hours from completely empty). Tesla has a charging calculator on its site that can help you with options and estimating. Perhaps someone from the UK can help with the most common charging options found in UK homes.

Likewise, I don't know the cost paid per kWh in the UK. At my 0.09USD price per kWh, it will cost me about $8.50 to do a complete charge from empty. Some charging rates (3 phase 32A vs. single-phase 16A, for example) are more efficient than others, and will affect that cost. The same Tesla calculator can help with cost to charge, but you'll need your per-kWh pricing.

The full-charge range of the 70D is 240 miles, I believe, which would leave your 90% charge at ~226. I have found that the rated range will reflect reality roughly around 65 mph in ~30 degree(C) weather. You'll get less range if it is colder, if it's raining, or if you are traveling at speeds greater than 70 mph.

80 miles round trip would be no problem whatsoever for a 70D.

Hi Spit,

My MS 60 in E Herts does a solid 180 miles at 70'ish on the motorway. The 70 should be good for 210 miles. Cost of charging entirely depends on your electricity rate so get Eco7 or an EV tariff. The MS does about 3 miles to the unit/kWh. So if your electricity cost 10p/unit then your 80 miles will cost about £2.70 or 3.3p/mile.

You can always try to contrive to charge at your destination and let someone else pay for the energy - even if you have to pay to park, if you can get a free charge then at least you aren't paying so much for parking. Lots of companies will put in a charger for you as a PR stunt.

You can use a 13A socket quite satisfactorily for charging but 80 miles a day will be pushing it (that's 12 hours at 10A which is all a13A plug/socket will take continuously). So, you will need a proper EVSE installed.

It is the best car I have driven in all my 40 years of driving without any doubt whatsoever. A large part of that is the moral satisfaction (smugness, if you will) that you are not subsidising Big Oil and all the ghastliness it represents in the world today, doing you bit to 'save the planet!!' and minimising your tax liability. Just make sure you have a good speed camera detection system onboard (say no more!). MW

Last edited:
Thanks Martin good to hear from a UK Tesla owner. Ever since my test drive I cannot stop thinking about this car!
I will research EV electric tariffs as I am currently on the British Gas internet tariff and I think its about 13p. I also have solar panels and work mainly from home so can charge at anytime of the day. How much did your EVSE cost and what does that deliver? Can we get 3 phase chargers at home?
95% of my journeys are 100 miles or less. We go to Cornwall a couple of times a year and in that instance we would just use the supercharger network.

I guess one is either an 'EVer' or not - a bit like a 'biker' Vs a motorcyclist but without the greasy hair and extreme selfish attitude (I'm also a 'motorcyclist'). If you are an EVer the question is never "Why should I buy an EV?" but "Why shouldn't (or can't) I buy an EV?". I suppose there are others who don't care a hoot about the moral aspects of the EV Vs ICEV question but just really enjoy the ride.

Anyway, I can't stop thinking about it either and I've got one parked on the drive!

I, too, have PV - I gather research (from the US) says most EVers do. It does rather make sense - even more so when Tesla's PowerWall (or a competitor) can supply me with some cheap storage solution.

If you mean where did I get the PEVSE, it is a DIY job and could cost as little as £150 but, off the shelf ones cost ~£300-400 new, tho they do come up on ebay from time to time for well less than £200.

If you mean the 32A one, its a ChargeMaster (Polar/British Gas) one. Again you can buy them outside the HMG scheme for about £400 + installation and the 32A ones definitely need a dedicated supply so you can't run a spur off a ring main. You could re-use an existing supply to, e.g., a shower or something...

3 phase (P)EVSEs are also about either off the shelf or DIY - there is not a huge difference in price as the only difference is a bigger (3 phase) contactor and 3 phase cable to the car plug. The main issue is whether you already have 3 phase power available at home which for 99% of UK homes is very unlikely. Farms and industrial businesses often have it. Cost to get it can be enormous.

Hope that's helped. MW

Welcome to the TMC forum. :smile:

Actually, you will find it only takes you 10 seconds per day to charge your car. Five seconds to plug in when you arrive for the evening, and five seconds to unplug in the morning. Much more convenient that visiting a gas station once a week or so.

A 32 A single phase EVSE will charge at about 20 mph, or 200 miles range if you park for 10 hours overnight. This is a good charging setup for almost anyone.

You might want to check the UK section here at TMC:

The UK and Ireland

Also the Speak EV forum is good, and UK-centric:

Tesla Motors Forum | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

GSP

Do you have a range of less than 200 miles in the UK with the 60Kw?

Do you lose battery power if you leave the car for a few days? Sometimes I might not use it from Friday to Tuesday for instance.

There's a bit of what they call "vampire drain" as the systems take a little bit of power, but it's not much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, as I mentioned above, 180 solid miles at 70 mph on the motorway with my MS60.

My Vampire drain uses 2 or 3 miles a day if not plugged in depending on how you have set the car up. If left plugged in the MS will try to maintain its pre-configured 'set charge limit' which can be anywhere between 50% and 100%, configurable in-car or via the Tesla app or the free, privately developed - and excellent - Visible Tesla app. Best left at 50% for best battery life unless a long trip is planned, which is what I do.

Sounds like you should read the manual! I assume it is available on-line for non-owners. I get mine from the My Tesla section of their website. If you want a copy, PM me. MW

Spit: If you drive in normal UK speed of 80mph you will in summer see a standard 90% charge range give you 150+ (below 200 for sure) real world miles range.
In winter with wet roads and heater you need to reduce speed by 5-10mph to get same range, roughly.

If you go 60mph on dry roads you will get better than typical range, but you need to slow to 50mph to achive rated range.

My rule of thumb is: In winter I get slightly less than "Typical range" and summer gives me slightly more. I have never gotten down to "Rated range". Best I did 440km with 15km rest on a 100% charge.
Typical range is 80% of rated range

Spit: If you drive in normal UK speed of 80mph you will in summer see a standard 90% charge range give you 150+ (below 200 for sure) real world miles range.
In winter with wet roads and heater you need to reduce speed by 5-10mph to get same range, roughly.

If you go 60mph on dry roads you will get better than typical range, but you need to slow to 50mph to achive rated range.

My rule of thumb is: In winter I get slightly less than "Typical range" and summer gives me slightly more. I have never gotten down to "Rated range". Best I did 440km with 15km rest on a 100% charge.
Typical range is 80% of rated range

Thanks Lanber, is that a 70D you did 440km?

I have a 10.000km old 85D, ordered december 14, delivered june 15.
Cant say for sure if it`s better than the old P85 I had on consumption. Maybe a few %, the manual says it should be.

They are just as quick on acceleration, that I`ve testet side by side.

- - - Updated - - -

And my 100% "Typical range" is 405km