Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Potential Delivery Nightmare...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short....I ordered and already paid for (financing wired, deposits made) a 2019 Inventory Model S and my Tesla advisor (when we spoke last) told me that the car was scheduled to arrive in Cincinnati on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and my delivery date was set for Thursday at 4pm. This date and time was visible in my online account. As such and being that I'm coming from Florida to Ohio to get the car, I have already booked flights for myself and my wife and a slew of other things have been scheduled (ie wall charger install next Wed, pet accommodations, wife used vacation time, lease from fleet company is being picked up next Tue, etc etc).

So I get a call today from my advisor stating that the car arrived in Cincinnati today several days early, and I asked her if she could reschedule my appointment time from 4pm on Thursday to 1pm on Thursday as I could simply go straight from the airport to get the car and save an extra hour drive later in the day. She said she would reach out to them and let me know.

Lo and behold a few hours later I get a text from the Cincy dealership stating "Hi - Tesla Cincinnati here - I understand you have made plans to pick up your car next Thursday. Unfortunately, per your order agreement, you have three days to take delivery of this car once it arrives on site. If you can't take delivery in that time frame, we will have to release it to the next customer waiting on this configuration. Please let us know if you are able to arrange to pick up this weekend. Thank you!"

As you can imagine, that's 3 days away, completely last minute and my flights cannot be changed or reimbursed. Let alone all of the other crap I've already had planned out for this trip. I checked my agreement and it states "...
we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within
three (3) days of this date."

By my understanding, this contract states I have 3 days to take delivery from the date I was notified (which was by my Tesla Advisor and displayed in my account online) ... NOT "once it arrives on site" per the dealership's text.

If anyone here has experienced anything similar, please let me know if you were able to get this resolved. Any feedback / suggestions here would be appreciated. If they are going to hold my feet to the fire here, it is really going to piss me off and cost me time, money, and ruin what was supposed to be a better car buying experience.

Good luck. They don’t make it easy.
Pretty ridiculous that one has to jump through hoops just to get someone on the phone. So much for the supposedly great car buying experince many people vouch for. I've purchased many cars over the years and this is definitely the worst one yet. I hope their cars are better than the buying process as I dont want to regret walking away from Mercedes after all these years. Not off to a good start...

Long story short....I ordered and already paid for (financing wired, deposits made) a 2019 Inventory Model S and my Tesla advisor (when we spoke last) told me that the car was scheduled to arrive in Cincinnati on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and my delivery date was set for Thursday at 4pm. This date and time was visible in my online account. As such and being that I'm coming from Florida to Ohio to get the car, I have already booked flights for myself and my wife and a slew of other things have been scheduled (ie wall charger install next Wed, pet accommodations, wife used vacation time, lease from fleet company is being picked up next Tue, etc etc).

So I get a call today from my advisor stating that the car arrived in Cincinnati today several days early, and I asked her if she could reschedule my appointment time from 4pm on Thursday to 1pm on Thursday as I could simply go straight from the airport to get the car and save an extra hour drive later in the day. She said she would reach out to them and let me know.

Lo and behold a few hours later I get a text from the Cincy dealership stating "Hi - Tesla Cincinnati here - I understand you have made plans to pick up your car next Thursday. Unfortunately, per your order agreement, you have three days to take delivery of this car once it arrives on site. If you can't take delivery in that time frame, we will have to release it to the next customer waiting on this configuration. Please let us know if you are able to arrange to pick up this weekend. Thank you!"

As you can imagine, that's 3 days away, completely last minute and my flights cannot be changed or reimbursed. Let alone all of the other crap I've already had planned out for this trip. I checked my agreement and it states "...
we will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Delivery Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within
three (3) days of this date."

By my understanding, this contract states I have 3 days to take delivery from the date I was notified (which was by my Tesla Advisor and displayed in my account online) ... NOT "once it arrives on site" per the dealership's text.

If anyone here has experienced anything similar, please let me know if you were able to get this resolved. Any feedback / suggestions here would be appreciated. If they are going to hold my feet to the fire here, it is really going to piss me off and cost me time, money, and ruin what was supposed to be a better car buying experience.
Wow. What terrible customer service. Could you quote the language of the agreement that you have which supports your expectation that the car will be ready for you on the date that you will be arriving? Also, I would push hard to make voice contact with the advisor with whom you previously had contact, and explain your plans and expectations. And the wording of the contract.

I did email my advisor and have yet to hear back from her, though it was later in the evening so I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt as she has been pretty good to work with so far. And who knows, maybe she will get this resolved for me tomorrow and none of this will matter. But on the chance that I cant reach her and I have to book a last minute flight to get my car, I'm going to fly off the handle at the employee(s) responsible for this massive inconvenience (after I sign for the car) and I'm going to be demanding some form of compensation. It is just utterly ridiculous. Like how much is it really going to affect them to have to let my car sit in their lot for an extra two days...and two days that they brought on themselves by changing the delivery date last minute? And I didnt even get into the fact that they literally had misplaced the car for a 3 day stretch before all of this and they couldn't locate it.