Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

pothole / tire damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this AM my 6 month old Model S took a pothole while turning and the rear left tire got a nice damage both to the outerwall and rim. I am still cringing from the sight of it. It's driveable but needs to be repaired fairly soon. I have an appt at the SC in a couple weeks (soonest) but wondering if I should just hit a local tire place. I am concerned about taking my precious (as my wife calls it) to a local tire place. Any recco's?

If there is any bulging in the sidewall you should get the tire replaced as soon as possible. The danger is that the tire is now weaker and could burst if you got over another pothole or even just take a speed bump too fast. I would strongly encourage you to call some local tire places and get a new tire in the correct size as soon as possible. even if they do not have the "TO" stamped Tesla specific tire as long as they have a version of the tire in the right size with the right load rating it will be find to install. Some places are wierd about working on Tesla'a but as long as they know to put the air suspension in Jack Mode they should be fine. Its just like any other car when it comes to wheels, tires and brakes. The other issue is that the wheel may be bent/cracked and require repair or replacement.

Take your vehicle to Town Fair Tire if you have one not too far away. I use the shop in Marlboro, MA (ask for Paul). They have Tesla experience and have repaired two tires of mine with slow leaks from punctures. I'm sure they can get you a replacement tire or two. They probably can repair your rim too. I was shocked to learn that they only charge $4.95 to repair a tire puncture. It must be a loss-leader so you buy a new tire there when needed. Some people claim you can't replace one tire and must replace all for safe braking. While certainly this is ideal, I feel the additional cost isn't justified for many especially if other tires have ample tread live remaining.