Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodyear Eagle 1 tire damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have bumped my Model Y right front and rear tires against curbs several times. Rubber on the sides of the tires sloughs off. Tesla service said was not a problem and cut off the rubber. Now it has happen again; never had this issue with previous cars or tires- lateral prominence of tires seems to be why I am hitting the tires. Is tire safe to drive on?

Attachments

• Tire damage.jpeg
    Tire damage.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 18
I have bumped my Model Y right front and rear tires against curbs several times. Rubber on the sides of the tires sloughs off. Tesla service said was not a problem and cut off the rubber. Now it has happen again; never had this issue with previous cars or tires- lateral prominence of tires seems to be why I am hitting the tires. Is tire safe to drive on?
I'm sorry, I don't think I'd trust that tire at highway speeds. Not a lot of strength in radial sidewalls.

I'm no an expert, but I charged my Tesla at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

DJY3VQ7PGMMU7GMTTIR3UJZMTE.png

Reactions: Dantley
I had the same problem. A coal roller forced me off the road and into a curb. I had a choice of letting him hit me or me hitting the curb. Severe curb rash and the tire sidewall was gouged like yours. I took the car to two different tire shops locally and both told me that sidewall damage like that is dangerous.. I ended up replacing all tires sice i needed all-weather for my area and onlly had Summer tires that came with the my MYLR.

I guess as @nate704 said, the driver was the culprit, but it was the truck driver in my case. I got it on dashcam and shared it with the local police. They said there was nothing they could do since the truck didn't hit my car.

If you can see intrusion into metal threads under the rubber flap in the sidewall gouge, it is probably best to err on the side of caution and replace the tire.

If it is just a superficial flap of rubber, you can glue it back down with a product like this (which is just glorified superglue).

Reactions: fiehlsport
The tire didnt cut because its prominent. Its the opposite. The tire is stretched and theres minimal sidewall, so there is minimal “give”.

Not seeing metal doesnt indicate it is safe, because the metal belt may not be on the sidewall in the construction. If cut looks deep, i would not trust it.

Thanks. no metal thread visible; will give the GlueTread a try

“What you should never see on healthy sidewalls are cracks, gouges, and blisters or bulges. If you ever see those, bring the car in immediately to have professionals check and possibly replace the tires.

Any damage that cuts into the sidewall — not just cosmetic surface damage, but actually into the sidewall — can weaken the sidewall. If the structure of the sidewall is weak, the tire may not be able to stand up to the pressure inside or to the weight of the car. You risk a flat, or worse, a blowout.”

Tiny picture there but it seems to be a significant missing chunk. I would probably replace it unless the depth is very shallow like 1/8"or less